Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depth Finder

My depth finder, dealer installed after Malibu forgot to install it, became unglued (while i was hunting for fuel filter) What glue is best to glue it back down?

I strongly recommend 3M™ brand VHB™ tape. This stuff is used to adhere windows to skyscrapers among other things. I've used it before and it works extremely well - just make sure you let it cure for a full 24 hours before putting your boat in the water.

Thanks-

I was worried that if i used epoxy, it may prevent it from being removed, should it ever need to be replaced...

Thanks-

I was worried that if i used epoxy, it may prevent it from being removed, should it ever need to be replaced...

Many people just squirt a big blob of silicone down then press the depth finder in it making sure to get any bubbles out.

I strongly recommend 3M™ brand VHB™ tape. This stuff is used to adhere windows to skyscrapers among other things. I've used it before and it works extremely well - just make sure you let it cure for a full 24 hours before putting your boat in the water.

This would actually be a poor choice for this particular application. The transducer needs to be "firing" through as uniform a material as possible. Any changes in density (either from different materials, air, etc) will refract the signal it's sending which will limit performance.

If you want the installation to be permanent, any two part epoxy will work. Just mix following the instructions and go for it. If you want the installation to be reversible, then silicone adhesive (as mentioned above) is a good choice.

To install, find a plastic bottle slightly larger than the transducer itself and cut a ring out of the middle that is a couple of inches deep. Place the ring on the hull of the boat to act as a dam, and fill the bottom of it with a layer of epoxy or silicon. Try to remove as many bubbles as possible from the adhesive medium so that it won't effect the accuracy of the depth finder. Then place the transducer in place, and gently press down while rocking from side to side. The finished install should have the surface of the transducer flush with the hull.