Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible Fuel Pump Problem

I've got a 2000 Sunsetter 5.7L Vortec 310 with roughly 465 hrs. It's running very rough and at first thought it may be a fouled plug. It has never run so poorly in the 7 years I've had it and I'm now thinking it must be more than that so I'm looking into the possibility I may need to replace the fuel pump in addition to the annual tune up maintianance. Thoughts??

I'm looking for the right fuel pump(Indmar number) and am also looking for the plug wire set number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

www.skidim.com

Any chance you have some water in your fuel? Check the spin on filter. Of course the ethanol in the gas absorbs the water so sometimes you can not tell.

I would try running the boat off a remote tank w/ fresh fuel before replacing the pump.

-Chris

I've got a 2000 Sunsetter 5.7L Vortec 310 with roughly 465 hrs. It's running very rough and at first thought it may be a fouled plug. It has never run so poorly in the 7 years I've had it and I'm now thinking it must be more than that so I'm looking into the possibility I may need to replace the fuel pump in addition to the annual tune up maintianance. Thoughts??

I'm looking for the right fuel pump(Indmar number) and am also looking for the plug wire set number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Have you replaced the fuel filter? I think I'd check that before I replaced the entire fuel pump.

www.skidim.com

Any chance you have some water in your fuel? Check the spin on filter. Of course the ethanol in the gas absorbs the water so sometimes you can not tell.

I would try running the boat off a remote tank w/ fresh fuel before replacing the pump.

-Chris

Thanks for the input Chris. Much appreciated.

Jim

Jim

Have you replaced the fuel filter? I think I'd check that before I replaced the entire fuel pump.

Good idea, that's my next step, which is something I usually do in the spring anyway but haven't yet.

Thanks for the input.

If you've already replaced the plugs, I'd try a cap and rotor. These tend to get pretty corroded in a marine environment and can cause an engine to idle and run pretty rough. Plug wires are typically not the problem.

that's a $400 ish pump.

i would replace just about everything else before i swapped it out.

Those low pressure fuel pumps for the carby are more like $150, but I don't think I've ever seen one of those go bad.

I'm not sure if you would have the same high pressure fuel pump as me (97 Sunsetter LX - Monsoon) but I just replaced mine. The first place I looked was skidim and after I recovered conciousness due to sticker shock ($351 at the time) I started searching around online trying to find a better price.

After a lot of searching I finally came across a site called ebasicpower. They had the exact same pump for $130 (at the time) with free shipping.

Currently their website says that the pump is temporarily unavailable (I must have gotten their last one Yahoo.gif ) but I just installed mine and it works great.

I like to support skidim but saving $221 off a $351 part was just something that I couldn't pass up.

By the way, I talked to skidim about price matching and they said that ebasicpower's price was below their cost but they did lower their price from $351 to $321 on their site when I provided them the link to the lower price. Strangely enough, ebasicpower raised their price to $150 but it is still too good of a deal to pass up!

Help this helps someone!

Mine is also running poorly and I was thinking fuel pump, but mine changes RPM's almost in a perfect cycle up and down. Waiting on my mechanic to get some diagnostic cables in to run a check. I have already changed cap and rotor, filters, etc. I am going to take it to the water tomorrow and run some seafoam through it and see if it smooths out some. We also checked the TPS and skidim said it might be the water temperature sensor. I was really hoping to use the boat this weekend, but it looks like I'll be thumbing it.

• 7 months later...

As someone who has to probably replace the fuel pump in their 97 VLX (still need to go back and check the signal with my voltmeter) I too just choked at Skidim's price on the pump.

In short I love you rothoveb. Current price is $190 but still better than Skidim. The funny thing is that I think the $190 sounds cheap now lol.