Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need alternatives for oil, filter and tranmission fluid

I'm surrrounded by water and marinas but nobody stocks the recommended oil, filters or tranmission fluid for my '03 Sunsetter Monsoon-335. Are there any alternatives out there automotive or marine?

NAPA will have it.

The 15-40 Penzoil Maine is very hard to find, but any 15-40 that meets the specs will be fine.

Don't use a penzoil or fram filter though....

Any Dextron III ATF will work too. Remember, for the most part you have a car engine in your boat. only a few things need to be marine specific.

NAPA will have it.

The 15-40 Penzoil Maine is very hard to find, but any 15-40 that meets the specs will be fine.

Don't use a penzoil or fram filter though....

What filter will do the job if not the original spec.

Your motor is just a chevy 350, the guys at NAPA will be able to tell you what you need

The NAPA brand filters (run a serach I think its PN 1069) are very good, but I've always used merc filters on my boat b/c that is what I have easy access to.

-Chris

I'm surrrounded by water and marinas but nobody stocks the recommended oil, filters or tranmission fluid for my '03 Sunsetter Monsoon-335. Are there any alternatives out there automotive or marine?

Check the numbers on your filter, an auto parts store will be able to cross reference it for you.

Pretty sure its either a PH5 or Ph30 that you need.

Also, for whoever said use Dexron III ATV, That works for the transmission, not the Vdrive. The vdrive requires a gear oil, taht should be listed in teh manual and easy to get at an auto parts store.

Fingerwag.gif Fram filters SUCK!! Don't use them. No.gif

The Napa filters are just private label Wix filters and are rated among the best available. Thumbup.gif

# 1069 is the correct Napa Gold filter for your engine. If they don't have that one, # 1086 will also work it is just slightly smaller but that shouldn't be an issue with a 50 hour service interval.

Edited by NorCaliBu

Just be sure and use the recommended weight and API grade - The recommended API grade is for "extreme duty" use, so be certain that the oil you use meets that spec. A boat engine runs under severe loads at high RPM's compared to a vehicles engine. You can find threads extolling the virtues of specific brands and synthetics vs regular oil, but, IMO, that really doesn't matter as long as you are changing your oil out regularly and using the recommended API grade.

Check the numbers on your filter, an auto parts store will be able to cross reference it for you.

Also, for whoever said use Dexron III ATV, That works for the transmission, not the Vdrive. The vdrive requires a gear oil, taht should be listed in teh manual and easy to get at an auto parts store.

The OP does not have a V-drive.