Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrading the Alternator

Jedidiah

Anyone know if there is an High Output Alternator that can handle 200-300 amps for the Indmar Monsoon 340? This is for an 08 LSV.

Any help or links to anything like this would be great. This is to run a 4100 watt audio system.

Thanks.

I think you need to mount a long metal pole to the top of your tower with a 000000000 guage wire running to the bank of batteries and only use the boat during lightning storms if you need that kind of amperage.

• Like 1
I think you need to mount a long metal pole to the top of your tower with a 000000000 guage wire running to the bank of batteries and only use the boat during lightning storms if you need that kind of amperage.

Haha...... I actually laughed out loud upon reading that.

Ok, how bout any upgrade for the alternator?

Anyone know if there is an High Output Alternator that can handle 200-300 amps for the Indmar Monsoon 340? This is for an 08 LSV.

Any help or links to anything like this would be great. This is to run a 4100 watt audio system.

Thanks.

If you're looking for the 'mother of all alternator' upgrades, here's a good read:

Big Alternator

Haha...... I actually laughed out loud upon reading that.

Ok, how bout any upgrade for the alternator?

I'm glad you appreciated my humor and didn't get mad.

But, 200-300 amps is asking alot. I wouldn't know where to start.

Well more research has been done:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...921/314698.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...921/320581.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1199757502

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...921/327807.html

Look over those threads for some good reads on "charging systems."

The above comments are confirmed, and to run an appropriate charging system to handle massive power you are gonna be looking at spending another 3.5-4K... and that will be with you installing it.

I'm not afraid of an install, but also not interested in spending over 5 figures on just equipment on my boat. If I didn't buy/sell them so quickly it could be a consideration, but thats just not the case.

My thought process is to either run somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 Blue Tops and a separate dedicated charger battery through a Perko (currently I have 3 setup to a Perko) and then run a BlueSeas ACR to have the system run from the Battery Bank alone and just charge the batteries at night.

Here is the question: If I run 6-8 Blue Tops what kind of battery charger/tender do I need? Will a Three Bank 30 amp system suffice?

haaaaaaaaaa RiverRat has the idea. You can wedge one of these in the back rear compartment and just hook it up to the gas tank and the blower and you're golden.

I upgraded my Alt to a 110amp and I run a 4 battery system with no problems (3 for stereo/ 1 for start). I do keep the charge 100% at all times when sitting tho (VERY important). If I run the stereo for about 5-6 hours at the beach, i never usually try and charge them back up with the Alt. I figure that's just beating the Alt up and eventually it will kill over.

If you notice a pattern here on this site and wakeworld, people are running stock Alt or upgrades to somewhere around 100amp and they are still fine. Most of them are upgrading their batteries to 3 & 4 battery system too. Not sure why you would need 200-300 amp, but you are probably okay to just get something around 100amp.

haaaaaaaaaa RiverRat has the idea. You can wedge one of these in the back rear compartment and just hook it up to the gas tank and the blower and you're golden.

I upgraded my Alt to a 110amp and I run a 4 battery system with no problems (3 for stereo/ 1 for start). I do keep the charge 100% at all times when sitting tho (VERY important). If I run the stereo for about 5-6 hours at the beach, i never usually try and charge them back up with the Alt. I figure that's just beating the Alt up and eventually it will kill over.

If you notice a pattern here on this site and wakeworld, people are running stock Alt or upgrades to somewhere around 100amp and they are still fine. Most of them are upgrading their batteries to 3 & 4 battery system too. Not sure why you would need 200-300 amp, but you are probably okay to just get something around 100amp.

Ya, I'm following in your steps after much research. How many amps and watts are you running at what ohms?

i'm running everything at 2 ohms and have 3 punch amps and one Alpine. I'm probably not hitting the wattage you are running, but i'm sure I'm close to about 3,000 total (max at 14 volts if and when I get that).