Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damage to Window Frame

Hello Crew,

I installed a new boat cover and on the first tow it scratched up the black molding trim around the window frame. Be aware of the seam that is sewn in with the felt liner that is suppose to keep it from damaging. Any material that is not covered with the felt has the potential of damaging your molding.

Now with that being said, how am I going to repair this? Anyone have any ideas? Please see photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26835105@N05/

Gordon

Guess you don't have a towable cover huh?

I would bust out the sharpie to fix those scratches.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

Yes, I do have a towable cover. Supposed to be one of the best...

Who made the cover?

I don't want to mention who made the cover. My intention is to warn other crewmembers of this potiential problem and find out if anyone can give me a pointer on the repair job.

Thanks.

Gordon

I've never seen a cover do that to a windsheild. Are you sure it was not something else?

Stainless can be polished out, you can file out large scratches then move to a clay compound (course-medium-fine) and a orbital buffer to remove the scratches in the stainless and it will come out to mirror finish again. Your windsheild company PCMW actually sells stainless repair kits.

The black you can touch up with a sharpe or mask it off, lightly sand, get rid of the ridges in the paint and hit it up with a flat black rattle can. We've done a few and they turned out great.

Guess you don't have a towable cover huh?

I would bust out the sharpie to fix those scratches.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

Yes, I do have a towable cover. Supposed to be one of the best...

I will chime in and say I have the same problem, just never said anything.

As Broke Amigo said, I have the exact same issue with mine. I had my wife sew in add'l felt lining over the rough seams making it better...but it's still not what I'd like. I have 4 areas where my cover still rubs on the boat even after 2 trips back to the maker. I put towels under the cover in 3 of the areas and made a seperate cover to go over the motorbox to prevent wear.

While it's a decent cover, it's not as 'evolutionary' as I expected. I wish I had gone the same route as I did with my SLXi.

P1010012.jpg

P1010014.jpg

I've never seen a cover do that to a windsheild. Are you sure it was not something else?

Stainless can be polished out, you can file out large scratches then move to a clay compound (course-medium-fine) and a orbital buffer to remove the scratches in the stainless and it will come out to mirror finish again. Your windsheild company PCMW actually sells stainless repair kits.

The black you can touch up with a sharpe or mask it off, lightly sand, get rid of the ridges in the paint and hit it up with a flat black rattle can. We've done a few and they turned out great.

I am positive this was done from the cover. When the material was cut around the window frame, it is cut with a hot cutter that also melts the ends as it is cutting to keep the material from fraying. Then the felt lining is sewn in to protect the window frame. The cut material becomes very rough and hard. If it was cut closer to the seam,and was covered in felt, this probably would not have happened.

Gordon

I am positive this was done from the cover. When the material was cut around the window frame, it is cut with a hot cutter that also melts the ends as it is cutting to keep the material from fraying. Then the felt lining is sewn in to protect the window frame. The cut material becomes very rough and hard. If it was cut closer to the seam,and was covered in felt, this probably would not have happened.

Gordon

You're 100% correct Gordon re: the hot knife used to cut the sunbrella. When I raised the question, I was told they'd never heard of such a thing. I get wear on the bow (behind the bow light), windsheild frame, stbd and port sides just belown the windsheild, and on the motorbox. All things considered the cover is a nice unit, but those seams with the hard edge are bad news.