Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

D3 Nomad/XS Opinions

Slalom Frog

Hello Crew-

I am considering purchasing a new stick, it's a sickness that some of us have. I continually hear good things about D3 slalom skis. Before plunking down some extra coin I thought I would try to get some opinions. Here is what you might need to know. I do a lot of course skiing, 6'0", 185 -190 pounds (depending on the day!), complete the course regularly at 22' off/34 mph, and get it about 50% of the time at 28' 34/mph. My goal for this summer is 32' off. I currently ski on a Goode 9700. I like the ski quite a bit but it seems that the D3 may be similar in performance but a little more forgiving? Thanks in advance for your input.

Mike

Pretty accurate, I have skiied both. The Goode gets me get farther down the rope, the D3 is much more consistent, handles varied conditions better and is very smooth. I would recommend a demo ride on the D3, I think you will be impressed, but need to evaluate all the characteristics of both skis to decide which one is better for you.

Haven't skied the Goode, so I can't compare. However, I got a 2005 D3 X5 at the end of last season. After hammering myself through the course all season with an older OB Mapple, I became MUCH more consistent VERY quickly with the D3. I'm really looking forward to some quality time with it this summer.

Can't wait for my buddy to try it--Five bucks says he throws his F1 to the curb. :lol:

the new RCX is definately worth a look. id say that the X5 and earlier nomads wont have the speed that you are used to on your 97 and may be a little harder to adjust to than the new stick, but Dontknow.gif . the new one is considered much faster than previous d3s but still keeps the 'd3 feel'.

For sure if you try a D3 try the Nomad RCX, way faster cross course then the x5, or nomad. I skied a 67" recently and really liked it and thought that is was fast and yet turned well. Then I got my 66.5" 9800(I was on a 67.25" 9800) and after riding the Goode one set I completely forgot about the RCX. The Goode is super fst yet settles nicely into the water and makes for a very easy ride. I'm 200, and ski into 39 at 34mph. If you go with the Goode make sure you get it with the powerplate which is a carbon plate they fully dual loc to the ski and the plate has the mounting pattern with inserts in it so you don't have to worry about stripping out screws.

• 4 weeks later...

Update-

Decided to demo the Nomad RCX. Have skied on it about 3 different times. First time was free skiing and relatively comfortable with it. I liked the way it turned, not much of an adjustment period. Adjusted the fine a little bit before going out the second time and like the outcome even more. Went through the course about a dozen times on it so far, only 22' off at 32 mph, still getting used to the ski. I like how it performs in the course, not as "edgy" as the Goode but no noticable difference is speed that I could feel. Turns very well. One thing that I'm not entirely satisfied with is the rear toe plate. I have always skied with a rtp and I have had a hard time finding one that I like everything about. Basically, with the Leverage rtp I don't like the foam base of the plate. I like the thickness of it but once it gets wet it is a little to slippery for my taste.

That's the update for now. Maybe more to report later in the week?

Mike