Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GPS Handheld -vs- Portable

OK I know this topic has been covered before, I did a search for GPS/Handheld no luck. I need some help in choosing a good GPS unit. I looked on the Consumer Reports web site, they only rated portables that I could find. Application: On the boat, we have a good Friend who just bought a home on the other side of the lake; Norris Lake, TN. I know our lake well, but with 45 minute ride at night with no moon out, after a long day on the lake can be a B**** getting home. At present we have never had to spend the night on the boat because we could not find our way back, like a few neighbors have done over the years. I just want to check a screen once in awhile to make sure everything is going in the right direction. My thought was handheld with a color screen (bright and easy to read at night) no installation just put it in the backpack, pull it out when needed. -VS- all these portable units on the market, too many to choose from?????? Plus I have not seen a good portable/installation in a boat yet. Not a big fan of extra stuff on the dash-board. With that said, any suggestion in keeping us in the right direction would be welcomed. Thanks one and all for the help in spending some $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I think the Garmin is the best. Very versatile can load maps or charts small very dependable and update on the net. Also easy to use.

All the hand helds work pretty good but if you want the most accurate maps and charts you will probably want to go Lowrance (sp?). If all you want to do is mark your own way points or "points of interest" then it won't really matter, you can buy a cheapy that maps and go from your own maps. I use a cheaper Magellen (black and white screen) that works really well out in the bush for maping my own trail snowmobiling but when in the Shuswaps house boating my buddies Garmin and Lowrance had way better lake maps installed. Colour is nice too but not really necessary. Hope that helps.

Also memory capacity and the capacity to use sd memory cards can be a good option depending on what you are looking for.

Edited by wipeoutwally

I use a Garmin 76c with mounting by Ram-Mounts. I am very happy with the setup and I like the portability of the system. Ram-mounts have a nice suction cup base with GPS holder made to fit the 76c. I hard wired the power to my boat so that I can run the GPS from an accessory switch. I use the system for the exact reason that you want to. I also use it in the spring to go remark all of the hazards in our lake. Makes it a lot easier to find the rocks when the water is higher in the spring. I don't have any photos handy here but I could get you some if any of my setup seems interesting to you.

Edited by Slalom Frog

slalom frog: Just got back from the lake, thanks for the photo they look great. Q1 what is the power source for your GPS unit? Q2 do you need to download additional map/charts to be able to us this unit on the water? Q3 at night is the screen bright enough? Thank so much for all your help.

Monk.

slalom frog: Just got back from the lake, thanks for the photo they look great. Q1 what is the power source for your GPS unit? Q2 do you need to download additional map/charts to be able to us this unit on the water? Q3 at night is the screen bright enough? Thank so much for all your help.

Monk.

Monk-

A1 - I purchased a power chord for the unit. I have run the power to one of my accessory switches. You can see in the photo the power chord running to the right. I could have run it cleaner if I was will to drill a hole somewhere.

A2 - I have never had to download any additional maps/charts. The unit has worked fine for the lakes that I use it on.

A3 - The screen is plenty bright at night, never have had an issue with it. Use it all the time at night to navigate back to the dock.

Let me know if you need any additional information. Good luck!