Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power Wedge design flaw

NvBoarder

Ok so heres the problem. The only way I can remove the plug on the transom (Rear of the boat) is to lower the power wedge because the crossbar on the wedge does not allow you to remove the plug in the up position. Then if I want to put it back up I need someone to push the button as I spin the speedo under the boat to trick the computer in thinking we are moving and allowing the wedge to go back up. Then I have to relower it to put the plug back in and go through all that again. Normally I would only remove that particular plug at the end of the season for winterizing and I always remove the center plug after every outing, which was good then but not anymore because of the zebra mussel issue.

Everytime I go boating I go to California and have to go through the check station and have to explain why I can't remove that plug and there is another plug removed. I have not had any problems yet but they are getting stricter by the day. I travel with my cover on so they just have to trust me, but one day I am going to have a stickler and he is going to say remove the cover so I can see the plug which will be a PITA. What I have notivced is that by removing the center plug it does not allow all the water to come out. It is not at the lowest point of the v hull. It is slightly higher on the right. Which if they inspect me they will see water and now I made a two - three hour trip for nothing.

So here is my question, I was told to always travel with the wedge up when on the trailer? True or False

If I can travel with it down this whole problem goes away pretty easily. If not does anyone have any suggestions besides just dealing with it. Sorry for such a long post.

Edited by NvBoarder

My Book says I can launch the boat with the wedge down,,,and looking at it I see no problem...Sooo why cant you pull it the same way.....No problem as long as nothing flies under your truck and trailer and smucks it!!

Ok so heres the problem. The only way I can remove the plug on the transom (Rear of the boat) is to lower the power wedge because the crossbar on the wedge does not allow you to remove the plug in the up position. Then if I want to put it back up I need someone to push the button as I spin the speedo under the boat to trick the computer in thinking we are moving and allowing the wedge to go back up. Then I have to relower it to put the plug back in and go through all that again. Normally I would only remove that particular plug at the end of the season for winterizing and I always remove the center plug after every outing, which was good then but not anymore because of the zebra mussel issue.

Everytime I go boating I go to California and have to go through the check station and have to explain why I can't remove that plug and there is another plug removed. I have not had any problems yet but they are getting stricter by the day. I travel with my cover on so they just have to trust me, but one day I am going to have a stickler and he is going to say remove the cover so I can see the plug which will be a PITA. What I have notivced is that by removing the center plug it does not allow all the water to come out. It is not at the lowest point of the v hull. It is slightly higher on the right. Which if they inspect me they will see water and now I made a two - three hour trip for nothing.

So here is my question, I was told to always travel with the wedge up when on the trailer? True or False

If I can travel with it down this whole problem goes away pretty easily. If not does anyone have any suggestions besides just dealing with it. Sorry for such a long post.

You could always try showing them the hole under the boat and have them poke a pencil into the hole to prove that it is open. Can't really help on the wedge question.

The power wedge may be a different design altogether, but on my manual wedge I prefer to trailer with it down so the weight of the foil is not banging on the locking pins as I travel on MI pot hole covered roads. But then I don't have to spin magical wheels either to raise and lower my wedge so it's easy to do.

I just pulled the plug behind the PW tonight w/ and open box wrench.

Mine has a cross brace that won't allow you to pull the plug unless you lower the wedge, it hits the cross brace. Maybe they addressed this on the newer boats, maybe I just have a one of a kind PITA wedge. Dontknow.gif

Edited by NvBoarder

Mine has a cross brace that won't allow you to pull the plug unless you lower the wedge, it hits the cross brace. Maybe they addressed this on the newer boats, maybe I just have a one of a kind PITA wedge. Dontknow.gif

I have a 2006 VLX with PW and have no problem removing the rear plug, strange, very strange...

Given that the wedge has been designed to with stand the forces of water at all angles, I find it comical that we need to worry about towing w/ it up or down.

OK, I know I thought about that two but figured it wouldn't hurt to check with the crew.

If you have a really tight tolerance all you have to do is tap the down button really quick and it will give you the 1/2 inch to get a wrench on the drain plug.