Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

83709.4 hours

Thought I would post an update to this post I made last week: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=14713

Blade pulled through for me and shipped me a used MMDC module. Thanks, I sent you an email. I plugged it in and everything seems ok (haven't been on the water yet). Fuel guage, tach, volts, oil pressure.....all good now. So I think replacing my module fixed the guages. Once on the water I'll get the speedo calibrated.

My only remaining issue.....the engine hours displayed on the lcd in the tach. It still shows 83709.4 hours. That's what it read when I unplugged my old MMDC, so obviously this number is not stored in the module. It's pulling it from another source. It should read 381 hours, and that's what it read at the beginning of my voyage last week. Then once water started spraying into the module everything started going wacko. Anybody have a clue what this would be caused from and how to fix it? I disconnected the battery for a few minutes thinking something might need to clear out. No luck so far.

Edited by vette-ski

I'm pretty sure that from '99-'01 the engine hours were stored in the tach itself (similar to the old mechanical tachometers, just a digital version). I can't confirm that for certain, but that's what I remember.

Maybe try to track down a tach from someone that has upgraded to Perfect Pass to see if that fixes the problem.

Hmmm, I wonder what would have fried the tach then. I guess the gargled signal from the MMDC. I think I know a crew member that has one to get rid of.

I thought we told you that already!

How many hours on your boat for real, I may have a tach laying around. Or I may have used it already, not sure.

-Chris

OK, my bad. I either missed that or didn't want to believe you.

I'm not sure what to do here. I called my local dealer and they have no way to adjust what the hour clock says. My tach guage works fine. My options are to put in a different tach with hours that are wrong, or leave mine in there with hours that are (way) wrong. It should read 381 hours. So I'd be looking for one with approx that time on the clock. I know where there's one with approx 100 hours. But supposedly no way to run them up.

I would say that 84000 hours is so crazy that no one is going to trust that.

If someone goes to buy your boat they can pull the hours off the ECM anyway. If you're going to keep the boat then all you need the hour meter for is maintaince intervals.

I would say that 84000 hours is so crazy that no one is going to trust that.

If someone goes to buy your boat they can pull the hours off the ECM anyway. If you're going to keep the boat then all you need the hour meter for is maintaince intervals.

Ditto. Keep the crazy numbered one.

Besides it's kinda cool if you can make someone actually believe your boat has 84000 hours.

I had a boat last year with 1400 hours, I did a double take every time I looked at that heads up display!

My biggest concern with the current tach is its ability to keep proper hours. I would be afraid something might short out and result in inaccurate hour counts.

I'm pretty sure that from '99-'01 the engine hours were stored in the tach itself (similar to the old mechanical tachometers, just a digital version). I can't confirm that for certain, but that's what I remember.

Maybe try to track down a tach from someone that has upgraded to Perfect Pass to see if that fixes the problem.

That's interesting, didn't realize that. Does anyone know on my 98, how the hours are tracked? I ask because I'm in the process of adding Perfect Pass to my boat and I'd like to take out the tach. If I do that, will my boat stop recording hours?

In case you're unfamiliar, my dash layout has the tach in the middle. And there are two speedometers flanking both sides of the tach. The tach is broken anyways, it's all over the place with it's readings. So I really wouldn't miss it.

Boats build in '98 have a mechanical hour meter built into the recessed portion of the dash right in the center (with the Malibu logo and the check engine light). It's a very basic gauge that counts hours any time it has power (when the ignition is on).

That's interesting, didn't realize that. Does anyone know on my 98, how the hours are tracked? I ask because I'm in the process of adding Perfect Pass to my boat and I'd like to take out the tach. If I do that, will my boat stop recording hours?

In case you're unfamiliar, my dash layout has the tach in the middle. And there are two speedometers flanking both sides of the tach. The tach is broken anyways, it's all over the place with it's readings. So I really wouldn't miss it.

PerfectPass has an hour meter built in. When you first start it up it will ask you to enter your engine hours, so you can have the actual total boat hours displayed.

PerfectPass has an hour meter built in. When you first start it up it will ask you to enter your engine hours, so you can have the actual total boat hours displayed.

I was sorta surprised the dealer didn't have this ability with the stock tach. I got the "they don't want us being able to run back the hours" bit. And then I said.....so you just replace it and now it says zero hours, right? Isn't that what you just did, run it back?

At any rate, hours are also stored in the ECM, so I guess when you buy a boat the only way to know the true hours is to have it read.....unless the ECM has been replaced.