Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pre-trip Maintenance

I'm getting ready for my annual week-long trip to Lake Powell. Last year I dragged the boat 600 miles only to have it die on me the second day and out of commision for the whole trip. Needless to say, I was less than pleased. Turned out the main problem was a clogged fuel filter...20 minute fix (even more aggravating).

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not an expert in boat repairs, so I thought I'd turn to my Malibu amigos for recommendations: what are some of the crucial / problemmatic parts of the boat I should check out? The boat has been running OK lately (only a few random hickups), but I'm still paranoid of a repeat of last year. I have a 2004 Wakesetter XTi.

Also, anyone else headed to Powell for Memorial Day?

Thanks,

Drew in San Diego

Are you by chance going with David C? I was just talking to him in the office....and I know he goes on a XTI out at san v sometimes.

What kind of hiccups are you seeing? When is the last time you had it serviced?

I would suggest taking at least a new impeller along with you.

Drew,

The replacement parts (and necessary tools) I carry on my boat include impeller, t-stat and fuel filter. Make sure you have a spare prop and puller. Check your hoses ... you should be good to go. Some times things go wrong mechanically that you can't plan for.

Have fun and be safe.

Yeah, I'm rolling with Dave. Tell him I said his beard looks stupid compared to my awesome mustache.

I've done most of the standard service (impeller 3 months ago, thermostat 2 months ago, fuel filter 8 months ago), was just wondering if there's something i've overlooked. Boat is running great while I drive...I was told that the engine "stumbled" a couple times while I've been riding, but possibly operator error (inexperienced drivers while I drive).

Hopefully everything will work out this year.

At the very least I always start my boat at home and let it run up to normal operating temp, usually about 10 min or so. I don't want to be that guy at the ramp with a dead battery or a clogged fuel pump :)

I would replace the spark plugs, cap and rotor, and the fuel filter.

I would bet your cap and rotor is really nasty on the inside causing your hesitation.

-Chris

At the very least I always start my boat at home and let it run up to normal operating temp, usually about 10 min or so. I don't want to be that guy at the ramp with a dead battery or a clogged fuel pump :)

I went out 2 weeks ago and started the boat in the morning in the driveway. Got to the ramp with dead battery. New boat to me with new battery but needed to put a switch in the boat due to draw while sitting. I've been that guy and never again.

I went out 2 weeks ago and started the boat in the morning in the driveway. Got to the ramp with dead battery. New boat to me with new battery but needed to put a switch in the boat due to draw while sitting. I've been that guy and never again.

Do you not carry a jump box Dontknow.gif For just $60 (for a good one) it can be the best piece of mind I've ever known Thumbup.gif Even if not for my Bu (I've only used it myself twice), but someone always needs a jump :Doh:

Do you not carry a jump box Dontknow.gif For just $60 (for a good one) it can be the best piece of mind I've ever known Thumbup.gif Even if not for my Bu (I've only used it myself twice), but someone always needs a jump :Doh:

I do now. This is my first boat (always been with the parents on there boat). I assumed being a newer boat with new battery and starting it 2 hours prior in the driveway that I would be alright. I thought wrong.

I saved EVERYONES day at a public ramp a few years ago with my portable jump start kit. A landscaper, pulling a trailer fully loaded with mulch and sod, stopped while blocking the entire ramp. Truck wouldn't start back up and 10 people couldn't push it out of the way. I produced the jump start kit and got him going and received a thunderous round of applause from the boats waiting in line to launch.

I got a pretty good one from West Marine. It was pricey, but it comes in it's own water tight case, which is nice on the boat.

I have one of those too. I've loaned it out a few times at the lake and used it once on my truck after playing tunes for too long while on the beach.