Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Malibu Wakesetter LSV with Vortec 8100 Engine

thewakeboarder

I'm really close to buying my first boat Thumbup.gif , and I've found one I really like. Just had a few questions.

It has a Vortec 8100 Engine. And I've talked to the Malibu dealer in my area about it. And he doesn't really seem to like the engine. Not sure why, but he seems to want to avoid it. Anyone know why, or have any problems with this engine???

There is some upholstery discoloration, I thought I heard that this was an issue in 2005's and is still under warranty so the dealer can fix it. Is this common with 2005 boats???

I really like this boat so far, but these two issues. I would prefer the 383 HH engine because I've heard a lot of good things about it. And I'm tentative about getting the 8100, because I'm guessing that it burns through gas like crazy. although I've heard some people say, that the bigger engine isn't working as hard so you get better economy when pulling wakeboarders. Anyone have a valid (evidence) opinion on this??? :unsure:

The only reason for a dealer not to like the 8.1 is because maintenance can be a little cumbersome with so little room around the engine. Otherwise it's a bomb-proof engine, and would without a doubt be my engine of choice in a 23.

In my experience, the difference between the Monsoon, Hammerhead and 8.1 is pretty minimal when it comes to fuel usage. They all use a lot, so what's a little bit more?

I agree with Skicrave on the 8.1.

As far as the upholstry, I have not heard of any problems with the 2005's. You may be thinking of the carpet issue that some people had with discolorization, but nothing I know of on the upholstry.

I wouldn't say "bomb proof", I've seen have a pretty high rate of ECM/electrical issues on the Indmar ones for some reason, but that was in years past, recent ones seem pretty good. Hard to tell becuase you don't see them all that often.

The 496 Merc and the 8.1 Volvo's are the same thing and they are a GREAT motor, that thing also pulls like a champ in the trucks.

-Chris

is this the red one in gilbert AZ, We looked at that boat.

That would be the one..... What did you think about it?

it was nice but just seemed really used. Their family seemed large and you could tell they got a lot of use out of that boat and they mentioned lake powell a lot so when boats are at powell you are in and out of them for week strait and the dented trailer.... Still a nice boat for sure but Dustin at Paradise told me the same thing about the 8.1 motor. there was another 05 23 for sale on craigs list in scottsdale we almost bought that had much lower hrs and only bad thing was (if you can call it that) was it had no illusion x tower. I really loved the colors on that red one though.

I'm really close to buying my first boat Thumbup.gif , and I've found one I really like. Just had a few questions.

It has a Vortec 8100 Engine. And I've talked to the Malibu dealer in my area about it. And he doesn't really seem to like the engine. Not sure why, but he seems to want to avoid it. Anyone know why, or have any problems with this engine???

There is some upholstery discoloration, I thought I heard that this was an issue in 2005's and is still under warranty so the dealer can fix it. Is this common with 2005 boats???

I really like this boat so far, but these two issues. I would prefer the 383 HH engine because I've heard a lot of good things about it. And I'm tentative about getting the 8100, because I'm guessing that it burns through gas like crazy. although I've heard some people say, that the bigger engine isn't working as hard so you get better economy when pulling wakeboarders. Anyone have a valid (evidence) opinion on this??? :unsure:

if you ran 700 lbs or more in ballast over factory and wakeboard 80 percent of the time you are on the lake the 8.1WILL NOT USE MORE FUEL,they all use 6 gals an hour.

the hh has a lot of oil related issuses. the 8.1 only has the idle flare. the dealers dont like them because on a oil change they have to do a little work. oil filter is a b****.

Thanks for the info everyone.... I'm starting to like the 8.1 L a lot more now. might have to buy it

I have the 8.1L in my 247 and its a great engine. I have heard the 8.1L in a 23LSV is a blast to drive. It will do approx. 50 mph with the 537 prop. Mike Sanchez at Malibu boats told me back in 04 when they started putting them in the 23 LSV that it was the first boat that put a smile on his face in awhile.

As far as fuel consumption the Monsoon 340 burns around 5 gal/hr, the HH383 about 5.5 and the 8.1L about 6. Of cours, propping and load will change this a bit. For example when I run the OJ475 I get better low end but end up running around 500 RPM higher through out than my Acme 381.

Only complaint on the 8.1L is that is fill the engine compartment completely. That maybe why your dealer doesn't like to work on them......

When I saw the first 247 I thought it was crazy how they stuffed the 8.1L in there. With a boat of that size and that price they should have realized a very high proportion of these boats would leave the factories with this motor, yet they make basic maintance access a PITA.

-Chris