Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon or HammerHead

SoundBox

I'm still up in the air about what motor to go with in the LSV. Some have said to go with the 340 and then reprop it. What do you think?

Which model LSV? Sunscape 20, 21, 23 or Wakesetter 23?

Since you're shopping the VLX, I'll assume the Wakesetter 23. Given that, it's really a personal decision. The Monsoon really does have enough power for that boat, especially at lower altitudes. If you've got the extra cash though, the Hammerhead wouldn't be a mistake.

We have the 340 and the OJ475 prop, no issues at all with power. I have always wanted the hammerhead but just because i am a motor guy. With the ballast full the wedge down and 8 or so people in the boat, we have had no problems with power with the 340.

Although I would normally endorse the HH, under these "tighter" times, save yourself a LOT of money and just go with the 340. According to what I read it is a 6000 upgrade.

By the way, they are the same motor, just different cam and heads thus producing more HP. Oh and I think the new HH's have the ETX manifolds.

Here's my cousin's 2008 HH383...not even broke in yet. I think he said it has 7 hours on it.

DSC00716.jpg

Edited by areamike
The old hammerheads were just heads and cam, the new ones are stroked.

sicko

What do you mean? The new Hammerheads are a stroked 350, thus the 383.

Hey Mike, any chance of a bigger image? I can't quite make out all of the detail of the carpet under the gunnel. :lol:

Plus1.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

I have the monsoon in my LSV. It is fine if you don't have a lot of weight in the boat, if you do, it is kind of a dog to get out of the hole with the stock prop. I just switched to a ACME 1235 but have not had it in the water yet. Supposedly this prop will correct the slow hole shot problems with the monsoon/weight.

It is for the 08 LSV wakesetter with bow ballest and plan on adding a little more ballast on top of the factory. Delta riding with maybe a few trips to foothills lakes and a trip or 2 a year to Tahoe. Fairly large crew of 5-9 people. Will never barefoot. Dealer is not charging the full 6k for the upgrade. How is gas consumption between the two?

It is for the 08 LSV wakesetter with bow ballest and plan on adding a little more ballast on top of the factory. Delta riding with maybe a few trips to foothills lakes and a trip or 2 a year to Tahoe. Fairly large crew of 5-9 people. Will never barefoot. Dealer is not charging the full 6k for the upgrade. How is gas consumption between the two?

If it were me and I'd get the HH, that way you won't have to prop down thus in theory costing more to operate.