Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat hard to steer out of turns

This season the boat steering is really tough when coming outta turns. It initiates the turn fine, but straighting the boat back out of a turn requires more than usual force.

I am guessing its time for a new steering cable. Or could it be something else

A really bad steering cable will be tight all the time, one that is just going bad will do what you are describing, under load steering becomes hard.

Is it the same whether you come out of a leftie or a rightie? Maybe the rudder spun on the housing and is turning more than usual.

Or it could be the same problem I had, my rudder housing cracked. It was the same symptoms as yours, but also felt a little sloppy.

hmmmm, wife says the steering feels a bit sloppy, but I dont notice that. Dont know if its hard to turn both ways, I only remember turning left. the cable feels fine except when under load.

Cracked rudder housing? are the cracks inside, in the bilge side, or the hull bottom side?

Inside the boat, sealed to the hull and bolted to the plate on the bottom of the hull. I can send you a pic of mine.

Mine was a bad casting (pitted) and cracked all the way through. I had to order a new housing through Marine Hardware ( i think) and then have a shop machine it to exactly match my old housing.

Have you greased it at all? I haven't looked on my Vride, or any Malibu for that matter. But my 94 205 had zerts on each end of the cable that you could grease. One near where the cable connected to the top of the rudder, and the other under the dash in the rack.

Might get you another year or two out of the existing cable.

hmmmm, wife says the steering feels a bit sloppy, but I dont notice that. Dont know if its hard to turn both ways, I only remember turning left. the cable feels fine except when under load.

Lube the rudder box. The rudder shaft runs on a thin skin of grease inside the rudder box. Once that grease is gone the rudder can actually wiggle just a bit and will cause it to bind when under load and cause a sloppy "feel" in the steering.

A friend of mine with a Tige was about to change out his steering cable with the same symptoms. I greased his rudder and saved him the hassle. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu

I will be out at the lake this w/e. I will ck the rudder box over real good. And will give it a lube. Thanks for all the info.