Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I should be pissed off but........

Dave K

I took my boat to my mechanic to have him run it up, polish out some scratches on the hull, and fix a few upolestery problems left behind from a dog. So it's May long weekend in Canada and we got down to the lake last Friday. Water temp was still in the low 40's so not too much boarding was done, although a couple of wet suitless keeners just had to go out. Well saturday was an extremely windly day, and this is where I should be really pissed off. I'm not going to explain anything but let you look at the pic's...

P5170051.jpg

P5170053.jpg

I have had alot of bad luck lately but I swear maybe I should be buying lottery tickets. I was working on installing pumps for my auto ballast system. I hear my phone ring which is in our cabana, and I knew it was my wife calling me. So I get out of the boat, go to the cabana, and get my phone. Not a minute later about 25' of a 50'spruce tree landed in my boat, exactly where i was a minute earlier.

I could say that my wife quite possibly saved my life. Someone sure was looking over me !!

So here's the damage:

swim deck board cracked,

swim deck bracket bend,

3 seat need new skins,

all back rests,

the lounge deck at the back needs a new skin,

hinge broke off on back deck,

Brand new Roswell tower we just install needs to be buffed & polished up,

Gel coat has a number of scratches,

tree sap in the carpet,

New tower speakers all scratched and needs buffing up,

and one hell of a mess inside our boat.

I guess I should be in the dumps right now, but

considering I have good insurance,

considering new skins are coming,

considering the boat will look as good as pre accident, and of coarse

considering

. I'm lucky enough to be alive to tell this story............ I'm not pissed at all but rather amazed at my story.

HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY SUMMER !!

WOW sorry about your boat. I hoope you gave you wife a big hug when you got home. I'm sure someone was lookin out for you Innocent.gif

MalibuNation

Glad you are ok & yes play the lotto.

I've got a large maple that has two main shoots (split trunk) that worries me at times ... thinking of taking it out ... if the west trunk goes it'll go on my truck and or boat. Pretty stupid for the previous owners to plant a tree like that.

You know if I was working in my boat and my girlfriend called I probably wouldn't have bothered to get out of the boat and get it...

You know if I was working in my boat and my girlfriend called I probably wouldn't have bothered to get out of the boat and get it...

Your right I too would have not answered the phone depending on what I was working on. :unsure:

WOW, that is so lucky of you to have been out of the boat. We have had some really bad winds here in the evening also, I was trying to weld on some exhaust tips on my truck last night and the wind was blowing the gas quicker than I could even get contact with the wire. I'm fed up with the winds but I guess I shouldn't complain Thumbup.gif glad to here it's all going to work out for you.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Glad you were unhurt..but that was hard to look at! I bet you were just standing there wondering what the $@%&!

Edited by 25lsvwakesetter

Wow, that is bad! Kind of a bad time of year to have a tree fall on your boat!

Good thing you or anyone else did not get hurt...

Glad to see you did not get hurt.

At least two things postive here.... You're still alive and you're getting the boat interior overhauled!

Just - WOW...

"I know that wasn't there when I left to answer the phone....."

Glad you are unhurt and they'll be able to put the boat back together as it was before...

Looks like it fell a bit before it hit (I guess about 20' based on your post) instead of just falling over onto your boat. Must have made a wonderful noise.

Count your blessings & hug your family.

wow, thats crazy, im in winnipeg too, where were you that this happened? i know the winds were crazy on saturday.

Perhaps that’s why you’re still single. Tease.gif

Glad to hear you're okay.

Hey man, low blow!

Besides I'm only 21, and not single just not married!

My girlfriend knows better than to call when I'm working on my boat.

-Chris

+1.

How cool would that have been to hit the deck as the tree was coming down though and have to crawl out from underneath it???

Glad you are ok & yes play the lotto.

I've got a large maple that has two main shoots (split trunk) that worries me at times ... thinking of taking it out ... if the west trunk goes it'll go on my truck and or boat. Pretty stupid for the previous owners to plant a tree like that.

First of all, glad that you are safe and that it looks like the boat will come through ok.

We had a huge redwood beside our old house with an approximately 8 foot diameter trunk. Apparently the tree topped off in a wind storm 30 or 40 years ago, and when it regrew, it grew two shoots. One Sunday morning I got up and went out for the paper after getting ready for church. On the way back to the house I noticed a huge hunk of tree blocking the garage doors. I went in and told my wife we weren't going anywhere that morning. We changed clothes, got out the chain saw, and set to work. The shoot that fell was 18" in diameter at the base and about 40 feet long. It layed out parallel to the garage and missed the house by about 1 foot. So be careful of a split tree.

-Chris

And it's statements like that which will cause her to want you IN the boat if a tree falls on it. . .

Tease2.gif

-Chris

And it's statements like that which will cause her to want you IN the boat if a tree falls on it. . .

Tease2.gif

Hey man it's true, she used to call me when I was at the shop and then ask what I was doing, after a few responses like "putting a motor back into a boat", "lifting a $400k boat with the crane", "picking my nose and looking busy" she got the point.

I loved when she called one of those 90 degree days that I was in the bilge of some sea ray sweating my butt off and getting pissed off and she says "it's so nice out, I wish I could be outside like you!" :Doh:Ranting.gif

And besides unlike your poor wife, my girlfirend can always get rid of me!