Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing tranny fluid

Hey all,

I have a leak in my tranny. I am pretty sure it is coming from the cover to the fluid screen, I am guess the seal is bad. I know that we are supposed to change the fluid at this location, but I have always sucked out the old from the top.

What is the trick to taking the cover off, and replacing the seal?

I am hoping this takes care of the issue...With gas prices so high, I hate to have to fork out the $$$ to have the dealer fix it.

I'm not sure anyone here will know how to remove that cover, unless you pull the rear engine mounts, disconnect the coupler and lift the transmission up, there's virtually no way to get to it.

Hopefully one of the dealers will have some insight.

I used a mirror to see mine and managed to get it off and back on pretty easy. But mine is a V-Drive so I don't know if this is possible with a direct drive but assume that it should be. Especially since your suppose to clean the filter screen after the first 25 hours and every 300 hrs (Annually) Heres a pic from my manual.

post-1292-1211323778_thumb.jpg

I have done mine that way 4 times. I have the Zurth 450, and in the Rlxi there is at least 2" of working room under the filter access cover (or pan drain). Remove the fluid the old way first, then loosen the two (9/16"?) bolts enough to let the rest of the fluid drain into a doubled up plastic bag placed under the trans. After dripping has stopped, of which you will get another 2-3 oz's, remove cover and watch the order and orientation in which the parts drop down. Putting everything back together is easier with two people, one on each side of the trans.