Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion XS tower

skyskier

The XS tower on my 2008 LSV seems to have problems. When I raise the tower, the drivers side fully seats into the mounting base approx. 1/2"-3/4" before the passenger side does. I have to have an assistant push up HARD on the pass. side of the tower in order to line up the holes and put the pin in. If I want to drop the tower, the drivers side pin pulls out easily, but I need someone to push up HARD on the tower in order to remove the pass. side pin. There is also a 3/8" gap between the tower and tower base on the pass. side and none on the drivers side. (with the tower up and both pins in)

My questions

1) Is this typical? Should I be able to pull the pins and drop the tower without an extra pair of hands to push up on the tower?

2) Is the 3/8" gap (on one side only) typical and acceptable?

3) There is some up/down play in this tower. Is this acceptable or should this tower be rock solid like my 2004 Illusion X is?

4) Should this tower be tweaked, or replaced?

Thanks!

Edited by skyskier

If I was to guess you are missing the bushing on the side with no clearance. which is causing the tower to sit slightly out of wack. The only way to find out is to unbolt the tower and lift it out of the base, which requires a fork lift. Take it to the dealer.

On the other subject (your other post) Make sure the spring cable is attached to the tower, they forget to do this sometimes. When you lower your tower you should see a cable coming from the base plate connected to the upper tower. This is also done at the dealer during setup. If it is then just tighten the tension, kinda like a garage spring.

Hmmmmmm.......this is hard to explain. When I put the tower up, the tower and base plate on the drivers side nest into each other, I can feel a positive stop point, and the pin is lined up. At that point, the passenger side is not nested and needs to go another 1/2" to 3/4" before the pin will line up. I can push up on the tower hard enough to line up and insert the pin, but the tower and base are still 1/4 to 3/8 away from being nested (touching). The pass. side feels like a door with sprung hinges............you have to really push on it to get it to close, it will not close all the way, and then it still wants to spring open.

The bushings the pins pass through are fine. I do not see any other bushings. The cables and springs are attached.

Where is the adjustment point for the spring? I do not see it.

The bushing I am referring to is the one that the front bolt goes through. There is no easy way to see if it is there or not unless you remove the upper portion. That bushing is what helps keep the gap even from front to back. I would think that if the bushing is not there then the front part of the tower is sitting lower than it should causing the line up problem on the back.

If memory serves me right there is a nut on a long thread near the end of the spring if you turn that nut it should stretch the spring more causing more tension or help when lowering the tower. Not sure what direction, you should be able to see the spring set up by crawling into the back v-drive compartment and looking up at the outside hull of the boat, I believe it's called the gunnal, but don't qoute me on that.

Here is the document I got from the manufactorer when I helped my dealer install my tower. I held onto it for future reference

post-1292-1211331043_thumb.jpg