Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Perfect Pass

For some stupid reason, the guy I bought my boat from had perfect pass removed. I would like to add it back. I have a 05 VLX. Has anyone ever attempted this without taking it to the dealer? Just curious as what it entails. Also, what parts will I need? I know that I will need the gauge to replace my tach. I keep seeing people posting the parts for sale, but not sure what all I need. Would love to upgrade but dont want to spend a fortune right now. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Joe

I believe that if you go to the perfectpass website, they have the installation manual in .pdf format for you to download. That way, you can see what it entails and decide if it is something you want to do yourself or have your dealer do it.

I'm gona do it my self. If you are fairly mechanically inclined and can deal with running wires, then you should be fine. You should have a paddle wheel already in your boat. I would consider installing that the hardest part of the whole thing.

<a href="http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=12925&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=12925&hl=</a>

edit: the list that is attached in the link above assumes that you already have a master module. You can buy one new for about 400 (i think), but you can find various versions for sale on this site for a lot less.

Edited by chadwick02

On an 05 its really easy to install!

They prewired all boats that year for perfectpass, all the connections to the paddlewheel, rpm sensor, power and ground are in a 5 pin quick disconnect under the dash. All you have to do is put in the display, install the servo motor (I would just run the cable down the gunnel, much easier then fishing it though the stringers), screw in the master module and plug it all together.

I would however, say buy the kit from Perfectpass so you get the proper connector, gague style, etc. May cost more but will also save alot of headaches as there are different color displays for different years in addition to different style for the regular dash versus the billet ones.

I intalled Perfectpass in my 05 lxi this year in 1.5 hours, but I have done it before.

-Chris

Just finished installing PP Stargazer in my 2001 SLXi last night. Overall it wasn't too bad - I think it took about 5-6 hours total, but I'm both pretty mechanically inclined and pretty meticulous.

1 Hour for throttle/servo attach & adjust

2.5 Hour to fish/run/organize cables for Servo, paddlewheel, Remote Timer Sensor.

.5 Hour to mount the judges display - I used Onamission's setup with a judges display down by the drivers cup holder instead of replacing a gauge.

1 Hour to mount paddlewheel housing

1 Hour for mount master module, tach lead, power runs & hook up/organize all the wires

The longest part was fishing/running the wires through the stringers to the engine compartment. If the 05's are pre-wired, it would have saved a ton of time.

You should look into Skier to Skier to order it - as a MalibuCrew CrewSupporter, you can get a discount. They should have all of the gauge options too.

The servo motor is not prewired, you have to run that cable, but on a V-drive you can run it down the gunnel and around and save mucho time.

-Chris