Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hot in the big easy

1994 echelon 350 cid.so after running the boat on the fake a lake for 30 min temperature at 140.down to the launch idiling away from the launch temperature goes up to 220 in under 3 min.pick up go home.sea filter clean pull off raw water pump impeller good hoses good transmission cooler clear of any debris.pull thermastat housing replace thermastat and plastic sleeve.back to launch.in 5min rpm no higher than 2000 enging temp 180-200 smoke from silent ride muffler.back home pull off exhaust manifolds look clear(no visible debris no debris when held upside down and hit with hammer).will be changing circulating pump on wednesday am.dont know what else to do.any help would be welcomed.

1994 echelon 350 cid.so after running the boat on the fake a lake for 30 min temperature at 140.down to the launch idiling away from the launch temperature goes up to 220 in under 3 min.pick up go home.sea filter clean pull off raw water pump impeller good hoses good transmission cooler clear of any debris.pull thermastat housing replace thermastat and plastic sleeve.back to launch.in 5min rpm no higher than 2000 enging temp 180-200 smoke from silent ride muffler.back home pull off exhaust manifolds look clear(no visible debris no debris when held upside down and hit with hammer).will be changing circulating pump on wednesday am.dont know what else to do.any help would be welcomed.

I pulled the engine feed side hose off the impeller & the belt - inserted a garden hose into the feed hose & tightened the clamp - turned the hose on and pre-tested that way.

Maybe try that in the driveway when trouble shooting.

No input on the overheat - sorry.

Blocked passage (s) ?

Sounds odd ... Maybe there's something with the fake-a-lake being able to force water through the system, versus at the lake where the pump has to pull it up from the lake. Maybe the pump itself is bad.

The only other thing I can think of is what I ran into a month ago or so. The gauge kept reading that it was overheating, but I couldn't figure out why. I changed the impeller (which was fine), the thermostat, and gaskets all to no avail. Turns out it was the cannon plug not seated correctly. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and now it's working fine. It was never really overheating at all. There's not much to these cooling systems, so maybe it could be electrical or a gauge issue?

Edited by sunscapeJeff
Sounds odd ... Maybe there's something with the fake-a-lake being able to force water through the system, versus at the lake where the pump has to pull it up from the lake. Maybe the pump itself is bad.

The only other thing I can think of is what I ran into a month ago or so. The gauge kept reading that it was overheating, but I couldn't figure out why. I changed the impeller (which was fine), the thermostat, and gaskets all to no avail. Turns out it was the cannon plug not seated correctly. I unplugged it, plugged it back in, and now it's working fine. It was never really overheating at all. There's not much to these cooling systems, so maybe it could be electrical or a gauge issue?

pretty sure its really overheating based on the smoke comming from quiet ride mufflers.come on somebody on this board must have an idea whats going on. well daughters bf will bring me a circulating pump(auto model)12.00$ today and i will replace the one on the boat wednesday am put it in the water.i will disconnect hose in front of tranny cooler to verify water flow.that is my last ideas.unless anyone can give me any other suggestions?????

Remember the fake a lake has pressure behind it, so the pump don't have to prime. Was there any leakage between the sea water inlet and sea water pump when you used the fake a lake? This could be an air leak which is keeping your pump from priming when on the water. With your mufflers getting hot....the circulating pump has nothing to do with getting water to them. All by-pass water from the sea pump goes thru the exhaust anyway. Even with the engine off.