Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in ski locker

Is there a way to keep the in floor ski locker dry on my 2000 Sunsetter LXI. Any water collected in the engine compartment flows forward into the ski locker and accumulates. I notice the hole between the motor are and the locker seems to be threaded. Is there supposed to be a plug in it? Area is totally useless for storage otherwise.

Is there a way to keep the in floor ski locker dry on my 2000 Sunsetter LXI. Any water collected in the engine compartment flows forward into the ski locker and accumulates. I notice the hole between the motor are and the locker seems to be threaded. Is there supposed to be a plug in it? Area is totally useless for storage otherwise.

One of those plastic thumbturn plugs with a o-ring & a "T" keeper that holds it on the hole when its unscrewed. - RV or boat store will have one.

I discussed this with my dealer and I learned that you can put a plug in, but it will not keep water out of the locker. This plug is mostly to reduce the coupling between the ski locker and the rest of the bilge.

The locker is not sealed from the remainder of the bilge (this was ostensibly done so that the bilge pump would keep the boat from sinking if one left a plug in and the boat was filling with water while moored - like no cover or leaking cover and boat in the rain).

This is a bit of a pain. One could go to the newly available no-drip prop shaft packing (made by WL Gore) to keep the bilge dry to keep water out of the entire bilge but it looks like if there is water in the bilge, there will be water in the ski locker.

Last year I was getting water in my s-lxi locker as well. This spring I took out the brass drain plug and added teflon tape, and also tightened up the rubber plug between the locker and rear bilge. So far no water in the locker. I also tightened the packing nut to reduce the drip into the bilge.

Last year I was getting water in my s-lxi locker as well. This spring I took out the brass drain plug and added teflon tape, and also tightened up the rubber plug between the locker and rear bilge. So far no water in the locker. I also tightened the packing nut to reduce the drip into the bilge.

Has anyone done what nemalibu is talking about? If so, please explain as I am a bit confussed. Dontknow.gif

Has anyone done what nemalibu is talking about? If so, please explain as I am a bit confussed. Dontknow.gif

I did the same as Brodie except tightening the packing and haven't had any water in the ski locker. I get a about 2 drips a minute from packing, but check bilge throughout the day and pump when needed..... Maybe have to pump bilge twice in a day...... Rockon.gif

I discussed this with my dealer and I learned that you can put a plug in, but it will not keep water out of the locker. This plug is mostly to reduce the coupling between the ski locker and the rest of the bilge.

The locker is not sealed from the remainder of the bilge (this was ostensibly done so that the bilge pump would keep the boat from sinking if one left a plug in and the boat was filling with water while moored - like no cover or leaking cover and boat in the rain).

This is a bit of a pain. One could go to the newly available no-drip prop shaft packing (made by WL Gore) to keep the bilge dry to keep water out of the entire bilge but it looks like if there is water in the bilge, there will be water in the ski locker.

Que? On my 95 Sunsetter LX , the locker came with the plug, it is totally separate from the bilge, has a grained gel coat texture, can be used as a additional cooler and yes the threaded plug keeps it totally dry. Yours maybe condreapalizationally fortified.

Thanks for everyone's help. Does anyone know what size of plug I need for this drain hole?

Mine was the same size as the plug on transum...

Thanks for everyone's help. Does anyone know what size of plug I need for this drain hole?

Mine was the same size as the plug on transum...

It should be a rubber plug, not a threaded brass one. Not sure if it's 3/4" or 1"

THe hull plug at the bottom of the locker is 1/2", same as the transom.

Edited by Brodie

I installed a 3/4" rubber plug and that seemed to fit just fine. I didn't even realize there was a drain through the hull from the ski locker. I went and checked it and sure enough it was there. That sure helped get the water out of there! Hopefully the rubber plug keeps the bilge water out of the locker. Thanks for everyones help.

I installed a 3/4" rubber plug and that seemed to fit just fine. I didn't even realize there was a drain through the hull from the ski locker. I went and checked it and sure enough it was there. That sure helped get the water out of there! Hopefully the rubber plug keeps the bilge water out of the locker. Thanks for everyones help.

It probably won't completely eliminate it. In my SLXI, the water comes through the hull plug in the ski locker unless I really crank the plug in. I'm afraid to tighten it up too much.

So, try the teflon tape idea from Brodie as well (and let me know if it works :) ).