Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Powder Coating Wedge...

spinxt

I finally found someone local to powder coat my wedge, however I want to get the wedge plate done at the same time. Logic tells me that it's pretty simple to remove the wedge plate (just remove the nuts holding it on), however experience tells me that it's never that easy. So, to anyone out there who has done it, what should I expect to look forward to? Can it all be done from the transom, or will I have to take the whole damn trunk apart, remove the gas tank, etc. and gain access from the inside?

Thx,

Chris

The main mounting plate? You'll need access. It's a nut and bolt. No way to remove the nut without the bolt spinning. You may get lucky and it will stick on removal if there's enough silicone on it. But I don't think I would trust old silicone putting it back together. I'd pull the bolts and put fresh in unless it is REALLY gooped up.

That's what I was afraid of......any other suggestions to improve the appearence of the older wedge??? Anything looks better than the seasoned mix of brass and whatever other metal it is. It looks like crap.

That's what I was afraid of......any other suggestions to improve the appearence of the older wedge??? Anything looks better than the seasoned mix of brass and whatever other metal it is. It looks like crap.

Isn't it under water? :unsure: What, worried about the person behind you on the road thinks about your wedge? Tease2.gif

Edited by Addictedto6

I took the wedge plate off our 2000 RLX, if you take the truck apart you can get to the top 2 bolts and the lowers from under the side. You just 2 people and one needs. long skinny arms.

Edited by onamission

It's not other people I care about.....I just cant stand looking out in my driveway and seeing a beautiful boat with an ugly metal monstrosity hanging off the stern. It's worsened by the fact that I remove my swim platform to keep it out of the sun. Whistling.gif

It's not other people I care about.....I just cant stand looking out in my driveway and seeing a beautiful boat with an ugly metal monstrosity hanging off the stern. It's worsened by the fact that I remove my swim platform to keep it out of the sun. Whistling.gif

Is it not stainless? :unsure:

Wedge brackets were never stainless until the floating Wedge, even if you got the stainless foil upgrade.

How about completely masking off the boat and hitting it with some spray paint? It won't look too good up close, but from anything further than a couple of feet it will look great.

Wedge brackets were never stainless until the floating Wedge, even if you got the stainless foil upgrade.

How about completely masking off the boat and hitting it with some spray paint? It won't look too good up close, but from anything further than a couple of feet it will look great.

I was going to do just that to my wedge plate this weekend!

I finally found someone local to powder coat my wedge, however I want to get the wedge plate done at the same time. Logic tells me that it's pretty simple to remove the wedge plate (just remove the nuts holding it on), however experience tells me that it's never that easy. So, to anyone out there who has done it, what should I expect to look forward to? Can it all be done from the transom, or will I have to take the whole damn trunk apart, remove the gas tank, etc. and gain access from the inside?

Thx,

Chris

How bout doing this Dontknow.gif

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....15&hl=wedge

I Powder Coated mine years ago when it was Anadized... the power coat fell of over night in the mouth of the Grand Canyan(MEAD) dou to Galvanic Corrosion!! Aluminuim + NIbril

I Powder Coated mine years ago when it was Anadized... the power coat fell of over night in the mouth of the Grand Canyan(MEAD) dou to Galvanic Corrosion!! Aluminuim + NIbril

I tried paint also. It peeled off after a few times out.

If you do undertake the removal, I had a big issue with the SS bolts and SS self-locking nuts. Maybe I just got a bad bunch but the nut kept freezing up on the bolt just as the bolt came through the lock ring. Three went on just fine, the forth took three more tries. I see why the OEM had brass locking nuts not SS.

I've owned hydrofoils that were powdercoated, polished & anodized. Do yourself a favor & stay away from powdercoat. I know what the experts say about how well it's supposed to hold up. But in real life it does not do well on a boat, in the water, getting knocked by rocks or the trailer or whatever else. It will chip & look like he11 before long. And then you will be stripping it to do something else.

Polishing it looks great. Or you can anodize it. Ask around in your home town about "type 2 hard anodizing". They do it in a variety of colors & can even do designs. It's tough as nails & holds up to living on the water very well.

Here is a sample of what it looks like.

Try the polishing first...It's almost free and costs you only sandpaper, some polish and some time..

I f the removal is really that big of a PITA I would try this first.

We do it with our motorcycles(cruisers) until we save up enough pennies to chrome the wheels which deals with it permanently.

1. You sand in the steps mentioned above to remove all of the casting marks and to smooth the surface(try polishing without first and see if you like it enough).

2. Any good polish(aluminum-get some Baddog polish off e-bay) will get you a very nice finish.

3. You may have to hit it with polish once a month(get a mother's powerball from Wal-Mart to make a quick job of it) to keep up the appearance.

4. When your sick of polishing-Chrome it!

http://www.baddogpolish.com/mm5/merchant.m...ory_Code=polish

post-572-1211377130_thumb.jpg

post-572-1211377148_thumb.jpg

Edited by 25lsvwakesetter

I have mine powder coated, held up fine. If done right powder coating is practically indestructible. I would hope that your wedge is not hitting rocks or the trailer.