Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 23 LSV Sunscape or 21 VLX

KSilva

I think the motors were the standard Chevy motors 320 or 340 hp....

I'll have to double check...

Kevin

If you're talking VLX or the 23 LSV, you'd better make sure you've at least

got the 340hp Monsoon. The 320 in a VLX will be a big negative to many [and

an absolute deal-breaker to some] perspective buyers "x" number of years down

the road.

I think the motors were the standard Chevy motors 320 or 340 hp....

I'll have to double check...

Kevin

If you're talking VLX or the 23 LSV, you'd better make sure you've at least

got the 340hp Monsoon. The 320 in a VLX will be a big negative to many [and

an absolute deal-breaker to some] perspective buyers "x" number of years down

the road.

I checked all all three boats have the 340 Monsoon

Speaking for someone with a Sunscape, I'd go with the Wakesetter. Although I don't think people are losing too much money in resale, they are having a much harder time finding a buyer for a Sunscape. I was suckered into the arguement that the VLX was a bad boat for skiing. If you are not trying to ski a course, you probably aren't the type of skier who will really care that the VLX has a larger wake. If you learned to ski behind an I/O, the VLX is much better. I started skiing when I was 5, but I would kill for a better boarding wake now. In fact, I still have not figured out how to get a good boarding wake from my Sunscape. I'm hoping more weight and a new prop (to get the loaded slug moving) will help. I just started boarding last year and can jump wtw behind many other boats, but I can't do it on mine.

As for surfing, I am able to get a very good surf wake, but it takes a LOT of weight. My normal set up is one 750 in port V-Drive locker with a partially filled 400 on top of that, one 370 bag filled as much as possible under the port seats, one 370 pound bag in the ski locker, 400 pound bag in the bow on port side, manual (locked) wedge and 2-5 people scattered port side on the boat. I'm adding automated ballast right now, but I will still probably add extra weight for surfing.

I definitely would get exactly what you want and spend the extra now. It'll cost me $20k+ to change to a new VLX now...Good luck!!

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your boat. I bought my Sunscape with the full

intention of using it primarily for recreational skiing and secondarily for

beginner/intermediate wakeboarding. And, as such, it continues to be a great boat

for us. No regrets.

If you were "suckered into" thinking that the VLX was "a bad boat for skiing," you had the

option of the VLX on the diamond hull in 2006. But, since it seems that your passion is now

wakeboarding, I don't think you'd be happy with that boat now even if you had gone that route.

But, since the OP knows up-front that he wants to wakeboard and surf, and is not near

as interested in skiing, I agree that he would be far better served with a VLX on a wake

hull. And, since it's not my money, I think he should seriously consider the HH. Thumbup.gif

I was looking at my boat purchase five weeks ago. I narrowed my search to an 04 mastercraft xstar, an 07 vlx wakesetter and an 08 23 lsv wakesetter. I would not buy a wakeboard boat without ballasts period. If you need the bigger boat go with the 23 lsv wakesetter, they are loaded with a lot of extras, if you go to 08 it even has presets.

I test drove the mastercraft, not impressed.

I test drove the VLX, well the rest is history, it handels awsome and makes a great wake and a really good surf wake. It has the power wedge with the 340 monsoon. The power wedge does give full control for shaping the wake exactly how you want it, definitely a great feature. I have heard the floating wedge does a good job though as well. Looking back I would not have the power wedge as my main factor for making a final decision. Tha ballasts are a must for me.

One thing that was important to me was the catalytic converter which helps reduce c02 emmissions which I felt was important to the safety of my family and friends especially if we get into wake surfing. You might check but chances are if the vlx is an 07 and has the monsoon it probably has the catalytic converter since you are located in California. I think all 08 Malibus come with the catalyst as standard equipment and no more 320 motor (in California at least), u might check that as well.

We have gone to the lake with my family and another family several times (4 adults and 5 children aged from 7-12) and there is plenty of room, plus the more people the better the wake. Looking back I know I made the right decision. When I was first looking the 23 lsv is big and spacious and felt good sitting in it in the showroom, but reality is that I just do not need that big of a boat. Also, someone else already mentioned that the more people the less ride time per person, a very good point. For those occassions when we will have the extra people we will rent a houseboat for the day. But again, at least for me I would only consider the wakesetter LSV. As far as the wakesetter hull compared to the diamond hull, well my dealer said the average rider probably would not know the differencebut at skiing speeds it makes less wake.

Anyway, I could not be happier with my decision and am glad I went with vlx as opposed to the LSV. Good luck with your decision.

Speaking for someone with a Sunscape, I'd go with the Wakesetter. Although I don't think people are losing too much money in resale, they are having a much harder time finding a buyer for a Sunscape. I was suckered into the arguement that the VLX was a bad boat for skiing. If you are not trying to ski a course, you probably aren't the type of skier who will really care that the VLX has a larger wake. If you learned to ski behind an I/O, the VLX is much better. I started skiing when I was 5, but I would kill for a better boarding wake now. In fact, I still have not figured out how to get a good boarding wake from my Sunscape. I'm hoping more weight and a new prop (to get the loaded slug moving) will help. I just started boarding last year and can jump wtw behind many other boats, but I can't do it on mine.

As for surfing, I am able to get a very good surf wake, but it takes a LOT of weight. My normal set up is one 750 in port V-Drive locker with a partially filled 400 on top of that, one 370 bag filled as much as possible under the port seats, one 370 pound bag in the ski locker, 400 pound bag in the bow on port side, manual (locked) wedge and 2-5 people scattered port side on the boat. I'm adding automated ballast right now, but I will still probably add extra weight for surfing.

I definitely would get exactly what you want and spend the extra now. It'll cost me $20k+ to change to a new VLX now...Good luck!!

Had to comment on this. I have skied many years and am just getting into wakeboarding. After being on a wakeboard I can honestly say I will never ski again. Wakeboarding is much easier on the body and there are a lot more tricks and things to accomplish and just a lot more fun. Skiing was work, wakeboarding is fun, thats my opinion.

Is there a big diff in the 320 and the Monsoon 340?

I called the dealer and asked if the motor was the 340 and he said no it was the 320...

Hmmmmmm.....

Probably only 20HP, u might not even know the difference I would guess. My dealer said the 320 was plenty, however it will not have CATS.

Probably only 20HP, u might not even know the difference I would guess. My dealer said the 320 was plenty, however it will not have CATS.

Man, when it rains it poors...when i fart it stinks....dude I am about to give up and wait till next year to buy....lol

I don't got the money for an 08... I was trying to get a steal on an 07,but MAN! Color options suck...lol

I sacrificed my first color choice by getting the 07 also however, I really like the color now and in fact think it is better than what I thought I wanted in the first place. That yellow with black trim is a good looking boat. In the long run I do not think you can go wrong with a VLX and will be happy with it however, when you are talking about spending that kind of money, you want to make sure you are not sacrificing somthing to save 5k ot 10K. Spend the money to get the boat you want and you will not look back whereas you may regret sacrificing options or colors to save a few bucks.

I plan on owning my boat many years and can say I made the right choice but my VLX was loaded, stereo w/16 speakers two amps, 340 monsoon w/cats, heaters, hot water shower, power wedge, docking lights, tower lights, cleats, 4 ballasts, dual batteries, how could I go wrong.

Is there a big diff in the 320 and the Monsoon 340?

I called the dealer and asked if the motor was the 340 and he said no it was the 320...

Hmmmmmm.....

The LCR has 320 hp. The Monsoon with CATS has something like 335 hp. So we're really

only talking about a 15 hp difference, not enough so that you'd be able to tell unless

you looked under the cover.

But, look under the cover is exactly what a hard-core boarder is going to do when he's

looking to buy your boat somewhere down the road. And, he's not going to be happy

unless is says "Monsoon" [or "Hammerhead"].

I'd pass if I were you. While the LCR is a perfectly good powerplant for my Sunscape,

it's borderline/anemic for a loaded up VLX routinely running hundreds of extra pounds of

water ballast.

I would go for the VLX:

A vRide however is more on the tiny side of things and I wouldn't want to put more than 4-6 in that even though they definitely have their place in the market.

Have you ever been in a vRide? They are smaller than a VLX, but certainly not limited to 4-6 people if you're saying you put 11 in your VLX and were comfortable. I've had 8 adults in the vRide and been very comfortable (2-3 up in the bow and 5 out back). The VLX is only 4.5" wider and 6" longer than the vRide, with deeper gunnels. I don't think that equals 5 extra people.

I didn't mean to put the vRide down! Please don't take offense! Let me clarify. Yes, I have been in a vRide, and I do find it (subjectively) quite a bit smaller than a VLX inside. The LSV while only 2" wider seems much bigger inside (it's also 18" longer) than a a VLX (I chose a VLX in the end as its easier to trailer, I have a small crew, and slightly easier to maneuver. However I'm 50/50 that I would probably upgrade to the 23 in the future) . The point I was trying to get at is there is a place for every boat in Malibus line up except maybe for the the sunscape series. Maybe someone out there who has one could offer a reason why they choose a sunscape over a VLX or wakesetter LSV.

edit: 11 in VLX compared to 5 or 6 in the vRide is not a fair comparison. I should have said if everyone was boarding I wouldn't want more than 6 or 7 in the VLX and 4-5 in the vRide, so really only a 2 person difference.

Edited by fever5

Man, when it rains it poors...when i fart it stinks....dude I am about to give up and wait till next year to buy....lol

I don't got the money for an 08... I was trying to get a steal on an 07,but MAN! Color options suck...lol

All the boats have at least the Monsoon, you can't get the LCR in Cali anymore due to the requirement for CATS. The 340 works just fine in the VLX loaded w/ max ballast and people. The 23 footers would require you to prop down but the 340 would be okay, yes the HH would be better, but again not the end of the world nor absolutely necessary. Bottom line if the colors aren't to your liking the rest is useless, making a payment on a boat you can stand to look at is a tough decision. Otherwise if you can stomach the colors and get killer deal go for it.

I would go for the VLX:

A vRide however is more on the tiny side of things and I wouldn't want to put more than 4-6 in that even though they definitely have their place in the market.

Have you ever been in a vRide? They are smaller than a VLX, but certainly not limited to 4-6 people if you're saying you put 11 in your VLX and were comfortable. I've had 8 adults in the vRide and been very comfortable (2-3 up in the bow and 5 out back). The VLX is only 4.5" wider and 6" longer than the vRide, with deeper gunnels. I don't think that equals 5 extra people.

I didn't mean to put the vRide down! Please don't take offense! Let me clarify. Yes, I have been in a vRide, and I do find it (subjectively) quite a bit smaller than a VLX inside. The LSV while only 2" wider seems much bigger inside (it's also 18" longer) than a a VLX (I chose a VLX in the end as its easier to trailer, I have a small crew, and slightly easier to maneuver. However I'm 50/50 that I would probably upgrade to the 23 in the future) . The point I was trying to get at is there is a place for every boat in Malibus line up except maybe for the the sunscape series. Maybe someone out there who has one could offer a reason why they choose a sunscape over a VLX or wakesetter LSV.

edit: 11 in VLX compared to 5 or 6 in the vRide is not a fair comparison. I should have said if everyone was boarding I wouldn't want more than 6 or 7 in the VLX and 4-5 in the vRide, so really only a 2 person difference.

The Sunscape is for those mostly that ski or want an inboard but have not need for ballast. I've spoke to many that like the vdrive configuration and saftey and instead of going the wakesetter route get a Sunscape which takes care of thier needs.

I guess that the presumption here is that, if you're not either a) a competitive wakeboarder behind

an expensive wake-making machine, or B) a 30-off slalom skier behind a state-of-the-art DD, you

have no reason to be on the water?

IMO, the Sunscape line is a way for Malibu to make in-roads into the I/O marketplace, offering a

luxury feel and far-superior handling, together with a markedly-improved skiing wake, and even wake-

boarding wake, when compared to that market. It's designed as a crossover boat, a "jack-of-all

traits, master of none." And, to that end, it hits the mark.

First and foremost, I love to ski. Not competitively, mind you. Just the quiet, glass-cutting

swish of my slalom beginning just as the sun is rising. Wake-boarding with the wedge has

been a surprising pleasure as well, but only after I'm exhausted from slalom runs, and I don't

need or even want to catch big air while I'm boarding. That being said, I wanted the diamond

hull. I also wanted the roominess and layout of a V-drive.

Sure, I could have purchased, for an additional $12K, a VLX on the diamond hull, but I'd be trading

in-the-floor slalom ski storage for built-in ballast that I might never use. I'd be giving up leg room

in the bow and storage room in the stern as well. Plus, winterizing the ballast system would be

just one more hassle to deal with every year. Then, there's the question of re-sale value for

a "wake-boarding boat" without the ideal hull for wake-boarding. At the end of the day, I just

couldn't justify the extra expense.

I'm sorry that you feel that you need to add 1000 or more pounds of water ballast to enjoy

your boat, especially with gas at $4/gallon, but I'm perfectly happy with my boat just the way

she is. To each his own.

I would go for the VLX:

I understand what you were trying to say. I was just commenting on the fact that you said 11 people were comfortable in the VLX, but only 4-6 in a vRide which you addressed above. I'll agree that the difference in size is about 2 people from the vRide to VLX. No offense taken.

Edited by jtrovato

I guess I would ask how long do you plan on keeping your boat? I personally wouldn't buy a VLX without the Monsoon and a 23 w/out the HH. The power wedge is nice but it seems as though most would rather have more ballast and no wedge, if you don't mind a losing some storage.

I personally looked at a VLX and LSV recently and am somewhat glad I have my little Vride. I am sure at some point I will get a new boat but with gas what it is I will be looking at a VLX, or even VTX, but doubt I will look at an LSV...which is an awesome boat.

"All the boats have at least the Monsoon, you can't get the LCR in Cali anymore due to the requirement for CATS. The 340 works just fine in the VLX loaded w/ max ballast and people. The 23 footers would require you to prop down but the 340 would be okay, yes the HH would be better, but again not the end of the world nor absolutely necessary. Bottom line if the colors aren't to your liking the rest is useless, making a payment on a boat you can stand to look at is a tough decision. Otherwise if you can stomach the colors and get killer deal go for it.

True, in 2008 you can only get Monsoon or bigger with CATS but he is looking at a 2007 boat which still have the 320 as an option.

With the requirement of CATS in Cali and the growing popularity of surfing, CATS may help resale.

I guess that the presumption here is that, if you're not either a) a competitive wakeboarder behind

an expensive wake-making machine, or B) a 30-off slalom skier behind a state-of-the-art DD, you

have no reason to be on the water?

IMO, the Sunscape line is a way for Malibu to make in-roads into the I/O marketplace, offering a

luxury feel and far-superior handling, together with a markedly-improved skiing wake, and even wake-

boarding wake, when compared to that market. It's designed as a crossover boat, a "jack-of-all

traits, master of none." And, to that end, it hits the mark.

I'm sorry that you feel that you need to add 1000 or more pounds of water ballast to enjoy

your boat, especially with gas at $4/gallon, but I'm perfectly happy with my boat just the way

she is. To each his own.

Hold the fire! First my apologies. I have written poorely triggering a lot of rightly deserved ire. But, let's back up a bit first.

#1 All Malibu boats are sweet! It's silly to say one is better than the next based on price difference. I was thinking functionality and resale.

#2 The OP was asking for advice choosing between a VLX and Sunscape. My argument was based on resale. My comment then, fitting with a few others, was that the Sunscapes have a harder time to sell, i.e. fewer buyers.

#3 Price difference? Well that can also come down to demographics. A huge caveat to my argument is that I live in Ontario/Manitoba. Around here, with dealer discounts and market demand (for wakeboard boats), I would argue that it would actually be cheaper for me to get a VLX or VTX with a diamond hull than a Sunscape. But this is only my market!

What I should have said is that Sunscapes in my local demographic don't make sense. If people here at my lake are going to put down a hefty sum of money for ANY malibu (guys, c'mon these aren't cheap boats) they're going to pay for something they can sell. Otherwise most at my lake who couldn't or wouldn't want to pay for an expensive boat like a Malibu would get an aluminum boat or a general fiberglass i/o. *NOTE i didn't mention a brand :blush: *