Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 340 low Oil pressure

My 2004 Response with Monsoon 340 oil presure started fluctuating at the end of the season last year. It would run around 65psi at 3500 or higher when first started. After about an hour of running (mostly riding not towing) my pressure would just start fluctuating slowly from 65 to 30 psi. Like go down to 40 then back up to 50 then down to 35 then up to 45 over a 5 or 10 minute period. If i slowed down to idle like through no wake, it would drop to 20 and might get one beep on computer low oil presure. If I turn boat off for a while, this process seems to start all over again.

I took out this past weekend and it still is doing this. I got a new oil sending unit last month, but wanted to take out and verify I still had problem before I put new unit in. After I put the new unit in, my pressure pegs at 80 psi at 2000 rpm or higher and drops to about 40 psi at idle. I did not get a low oil pressure beep after sender replacement. But yesterday, I saw on another post that the computer has diffferent sending unit. Which if that is the case, with the analog gauge showing low and the computer sending unit showing low, it indicates i do have a low pressure problem not sensors.

Hmmmmmm?

I have the same engine and I too have been having this problem. The first time it happened I freaked out shut down the boat and checked the normal things out (oil level, leaks, noise from engine). Since then it happens to me quite a bit and I need to change the sender too, I think. I truly do NOT believe for a second that I have low oil pressure. The engine purrs perfectly, is never a noise like knocking or tappets and the guage flutuating does not make sense to me. I would think yours is the same??? Why in the world would a perfectly good, super well maintained low hour engine have low oil pressure?? I may be wrong but I'm ignoring my guage until I change the oil sender. Just my two cents.

On my 2003 Monsoon, the sender you (zuluone) replaced for your gauge has nothing to do with your computer. As a matter of fact, in 03, the whole instrument package is independent of the computer. The only thing the computer is connected to on my dash is the beeper, and that too has nothing to do with gauge package. My gauge will display "oil press low" if the sender for the gauge (and the gauge) reads below 20 psi. On 04's this may be different. The computer monitors oil pressure thru a seperate sensor (sender) or switch. On my boat it is just a switch, but looking at a 2005-2006 wiring diagram, I can see they now use a sensor. You can tell if you have a sensor or switch by the number of wires connected to it. A switch will have one wire, where a sensor will have three.

75 to 80 psi oil pressure is not uncommon on our engine at higher RPM's while the oil is still cold. After the engine and oil is up to operating temperature 30 to 50 is the norm.

Zulu and Rush,

When I was experiencing pressure display problems, the problem was traced to the dash-to-engine connector which is commonly refered to as the cannon plug. The wire bundle that come from the dash connects to the motor thru this plug. It is round, held together with a hose clamp, and is a known headache with the lower voltage gauge connections that pass thru it.. Keep us posted on your progress.

Edited by electricjohn

Last summer my 310 carb was having flucuating oil pressure with the alarm coming on and going off. While the alarm was going off I took the oil fill cap off and I could see oil running down the heads inside the valve cover, so I knew I had oil pressure. A new sending unit took care of it.

• 2 weeks later...
I think that's been an "issue" for years. My 2001 Monsoon does it too. It's irritating, but there's no real problem.

I have a 2001 Monsoon. I was having problems with the oil pressure guage and the temp guage. Both would change when you would turn on anything that would draw some amps like a pump. I read some where on this site about running a heavy guage wire from the negative buss under the dash to the negative post on the battery. This fixed the problem.

• 1 month later...

Hey, just want to make sure I understand what everyone has said here. I have an '04 response with the 340. My gauge would constantly give me a 'oil pressure' warning when I hit the throttle, and the dealer said it was a bad plug and wired past the plug. Been fine since, and I have been paying attention. Took the boat for a small spin this morning, and the pressure was staying pegged above 80psi. I saw someone posted that this is normal when the oil is cold, and it was cold last night, below 50. I did not continue running the boat. Decided to do some research first.

So, this sounds like it is normal, right?

yes it's normal. Your sending unit has one wire coming off of it right? They had issues with the "one wire" sending units (so I heard) and now they are all runing 3 wire sending units that fixed the issue, plus it's a better unit. Mine does the same thing and has since I bought it.

• 4 years later...

OK. Make it simple... My boat has constant beeping. Oil pressure OK. Is it the Oil Pressure Switch? Or Oil Pressure sending unit? Big one or Small one. Part Numbers???