Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Pump failure

I have a 1998 Malibu Response LX with the Monsoon engine.

This weekend the fuel pump failed and I need to replace it.

Can I replace this part with the automotive version?

Or is there a difference between the automotive version and the marine version of the fuel pump?

Yeah, automotive pumps are in tank usually.

Skidim.com has the pump you need, they around between $350 and $400 so make sure that is the problem before you drop that kind of money.

-Chris

Skidim.com has the pump you need, they around between $350 and $400 so make sure that is the problem before you drop that kind of money.

-Chris

Plus1.gif

Check all fuel filters and screens. There is a screen in the bottom of the fuel pump and you most likely have an inline fuel filter somewhere too. The fuel filter is cheap and cleaning the fuel pump screen is free if you know how. Don't spend the money on a pump if you are NOT SURE you need one. Your motor is EFI. There is also a filter screen inside right where the hard fuel line goes into the fuel injector rail. That screen and the one in the fuel pump are both small and easy to clean.

Don't forget the relay also, generally a pump that is dying is pretty obvious for some time. They squeel and whine and make all sorts of noice before they fail.

-Chris

Just a thought..Are you getting power at the terminals to the fuel pump?

Sometimes its a connective issue rather than a fuel pump failure?

Have you tested that first?

Thanks for all the comments.

I have an external electric fuel pump.

My fuel pump makes a loud squeal sound.

If the pump squeals when I turn on the key, the engine will not start.

The engine used to start when the fuel pump made a quiet hum after I turned the key on.

post-70-1211203275.jpg

Have you changed the fuel filters and also cleaned out the little screen in the bottom of the fuel pump. The pump could be fine but can't pump well against a blocked filter and screen...

-Chris

Definitely check out the screen on the inlet side of the pump, especially if your squeal is intermittant. I had a chuck of debris that would cause the squealing sometimes....when I removed it all has been well since.

It's a very easy inspection. Just get an inspection mirror, and small container (I used a glass) to catch the fuel that will come out, and disconnect the bottom fitting from the pump. Take a look up at the brass screen and see if you find any debris. I had what appeared to be achuck of fuel line.

You don't need to remove the pump to do this.

If you pump is squealing intermittantly, it is likely that it is starving for fuel during those times. If you pump was shot, it would squeal constantly.

-Chris

There are two fuel filters that I know of. One is on the port side of the engine near the fuel pump. The other sits on top of the fuel tank behind the back seat. I ordered both of these yesterday from Discount Inboard Marine (skidim) for about $10 bucks each.

Hope it's not your pump. I found one in the glove box of my 1998 Malibu Response LX Monsoon after I bought it a couple weeks ago so I'm assuming the previous owner dropped the bucks for the new one. Whew - dodged that bullet.

Good luck and hoping it's just a filter or screen!

What a SWEET boat these are!!!

Wood