Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat cover with Illusion tower

OK, what is the secret for keeping the cover tight around the base of the illusion tower? First, there is a small gap between the back of the tower base and the cover. Then water seems to puddle right next to the collar then leak in.

some of the covers out there are better than others.

i think my dealer switched to rankin or similar the year after we bought our boat. :(

i took the whole cover it to a sail repair shop and had them add some "socks" that go up the tower. that helped a bit, but didn't solve the problem of the water pooling.

for the water pooling, I tie a dock rope between the towers under the cover to keep the cover from dipping too low near the tower.

(i also tried putting a PVC pipe propped up under the cover near the tower to keep the water from pooling -- but when the wind blew, that didn't last long) :(

the rope was the easiest (and cheapest) -- that would probably work without adding on any "socks" on the tower...

i have been having the same problem. I think there needs to be some sort of elastic rubber that gets wrapped around the base of the tower and onto the cover. I just dont know how to go about this.

i have been having the same problem. I think there needs to be some sort of elastic rubber that gets wrapped around the base of the tower and onto the cover. I just dont know how to go about this.

Hey Marmonick -- I thought the same thing on having some kind of elastic...

In the absence of that - the little socks I had sewn up onto the cover work pretty well. They tie off really tight about 10 inches up from the base of the tower. I'll try to post up some pics later.

The rope tied between the towers is the main thing that really helps with the water pooling problem.

I used our new cover from Evolution this weekend. Had a really bad rain storm come through. The water just ran off with no pooling at all. The only thing we had to do was tighten the rear straps up a little bit and the pooling went away. Our stock Malibu cover pooled badly by the base of the tower. I have enough of a gap on the tower swivel I could stick the fabrice in their and it prevented the pooling as well.

I had my Rankin modified.

that is what I am looking to do. about how much did you pay for that?

as for pooling..i use the tent poles that they gave me and it seems to work fine. the only problem is that it seems to funnel water right into the side of the boat.

that is what I am looking to do. about how much did you pay for that?

as for pooling..i use the tent poles that they gave me and it seems to work fine. the only problem is that it seems to funnel water right into the side of the boat.

Hey Marmonick -- I paid about $50 at the sail repair place. Mine goes up about another 6-8 inches and ties off instead of the button like Ronnie.

Yes - the pole in the middle of the boat tends to dump/funnel the water right into the cover's tower holes. I tie the rope just about where the seam is where the tower folds. That holds the cover up higher and the water just sheds right off. sorry no pic yet.... i'll try to get one soon...

I had the same problem and took a spring clamp and drilled a hole in each end of the handle then attached a bungie cord. Clamp it to the cover and wrap the bungie cord around the wakeboard rack. It works well and costs very little.

Edited by stroke
I had the same problem and took a spring clamp and drilled a hole in each end of the handle then attached a bungie cord. Clamp it to the cover and wrap the bungie cord around the wakeboard rack. It works well and costs very little.

can you post a pic?

Here's my aftermarket job -- the infamous "socks"

P5220704.jpg

Also note dock rope tied between two towers to hold up the cover to prevent pooling.

P5220705.jpg

Hopefully this saves a few people the frustration of pulling the cover off your boat after a nice storm and finding the lounge has become a bathtub! :)