Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer brake problem

Launched the boat today but had some issues. I have a 2005 Boatmate trailer, it has the 5 flat plug. I only have a 4 flat on my truck but since I only haul the boat about 1000', I have never worried to much about getting things changed over. Anyway, in the past, when backing, I have always flipped the wiring harness over and turned on the lights. I had been told that this releases the brakes when backing. I have never had an issue backing in the past. Today however, it didn't work. Every time I would go to back up, the brakes would lock up. I finally solved the problem by taking a C-clamp and putting it in the sliding mechanism on the tongue so it couldn't move and engage the brakes. My neighbor told me that Mastercrafts come with such a device that is already attached to the trailer.

My questions, is there something wrong with my trailer when it is locking up like this in reverse? Should my trailer have some sort of device to place in the actuator? Do I need to do something else to prevent this from happening?

Thanks

It sounds like this part went bad. You'd have to test it first. You could install this part to prevent the pin from sliding back. This is probably what your friend has. This is all assuming you have UFP brakes on the trailer.

Edited by Pistol Pete

when "flipping" the harness over,,u are now using the hitch-ball as your ground path for the trailor wiring. sometimes u dont always get a good "ground path" with this method,,,,which would cause the solenoid to not activate.

You can also purchase an adaptor to go from you 7 pin to a 5 flat. On my eagle trailer you could also put a pin in the accuator and stop it from locking the brakes

You can also purchase an adaptor to go from you 7 pin to a 5 flat. On my eagle trailer you could also put a pin in the accuator and stop it from locking the brakes
I only have a 4 flat on my truck

Look for a place for a lock pin or start troubleshooting your wiring, likely dirty/corroded connections for the reason flipping it no longer works, or the brakes were slightly applied and the solenoid couldn't lock out.

Edited by Hwood