Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help out a new guy.....Boat pulls to the right....Is this normal?

DC-STRO

This is my first experience with a wakeboard boat. I took it out for the first time this weekend. When on the gas the steering seems like I really have to hold the wheel hard to the left to keep straight. If I don't it will track hard right. The wheel is also off centered when going straight. Is this normal for this type of boat?

I have to throw in a pic just because I am just loving this ride right now. My two sons are loving it too.

NewBoat_002.jpg

Wakeboardboat086.jpg

Welcome.gif

Congrats on the boat!!!! Nice looking rig!!! Is it a Diamond Hull?

Why did you load it with the WEDGE down? The wedge will change the handling characteristics a bit, but still should not lead to the boat "pulling to the right"...am at a loss for that one.

This is my first experience with a wakeboard boat. I took it out for the first time this weekend. When on the gas the steering seems like I really have to hold the wheel hard to the left to keep straight. If I don't it will track hard right. The wheel is also off centered when going straight. Is this normal for this type of boat?

Nice boat! I know mine has quite a bit of torque steer, and is pretty typical unless they've done something to the newer boats to counter act that. Seems I remember seeing a rudder with a special tab on it or something. I believe the cause for this is the action of the prop thrust on the rudder.

Now that you mentioned it...I think mine DOES have a tab inside the rubber that you can mess with. Dontknow.gif

Mine has never pulled to the right tho.

Nice boat! I know mine has quite a bit of torque steer, and is pretty typical unless they've done something to the newer boats to counter act that. Seems I remember seeing a rudder with a special tab on it or something. I believe the cause for this is the action of the prop thrust on the rudder.
Welcome.gif

Congrats on the boat!!!! Nice looking rig!!! Is it a Diamond Hull?

Why did you load it with the WEDGE down? The wedge will change the handling characteristics a bit, but still should not lead to the boat "pulling to the right"...am at a loss for that one.

It's a 2004 lsv.

I did not load it with the wedge down. I just put it down for travel, so it won't rattle going over bumps when on the trailer.

With the ballast empty and the wedge up just cruising I noticed this problem.

I would research the tab on the rudder, if you have one. Thats about the ONLY thing it could be, I recon. I bet you need to tweak it a bit.

It's a 2004 lsv.

I did not load it with the wedge down. I just put it down for travel, so it won't rattle going over bumps when on the trailer.

I would research the tab on the rudder, if you have one. Thats about the ONLY thing it could be, I recon. I bet you need to tweak it a bit.
It's a 2004 lsv.

The guy I bought it from said it was normal, but I had to ask for other opinions. Other than that the boat has 190 hours on it and it is as clean as brand new.

It's an inboard thing. Most are loaded to pull so there is always pressure on the steering, making it more responsive. At least, for us DDs its very normal.

It's an inboard thing. Most are loaded to pull so there is always pressure on the steering, making it more responsive. At least, for us DDs its very normal.

Thanks. I was starting to think something is wrong.

I have to throw in a pic just because I am just loving this ride right now. My two sons are loving it too.

NewBoat_002.jpg

Wakeboardboat086.jpg

When my boat was 6 months old I hit a rock at idle speed and bent the prop. After having it re conditioned the boat pulled to the right and the steering wheel was not centered anymore. I do not know if i tweaked the rudder or if it was just from the prop being reconditioned. I did however adjust the small tab inside the rudder and that fixed the pulling problem. The steering wheel alignment is still off a little. When looking at the rudder from the back of the boat. You can loosen the two Allen screws and turn the tab to the left. This may help, it worked for me. If it pulls to bad you may want to do an inspection on your rudder. Good luck. Oh yea nice boat. :rockon:

I have driven half a dozen Bu's over the past few years, and none of them have pulled hard in either direction. If you let go of the steering wheel completely they will veer one direction or another, but all my boat requires is light touch from my index finger on the wheel to keep it going straight.

take an allen wrench and adjust the little tap on the rudder. it will take 3 or 4 trys to get it perfect. and then what is perfect at wakeboard speed, will be off a little at WOT. and what is perfect unloaded, will be off a little with full ballast, 8 souls aboard and 2 fat sacks.

I just looked at the rudder and all is good. No dings or dents. The guy I bought if from said he never hit anything and the prop is the one it came with. It looks perfect. I am thinking maybe an alignment with the rudder.

I have a direct drive and don't have that issue at all!! When I hammer the throttle I can easily steer the boat with one finger, and the steering wheel is always centered. I have driven a lot of outboards like that but never a VD or DD.

I'm on my 2nd inboard, 1st v-drive, and both boats have/had a bit of torque steer. I have been told it was so the boat could be held in a straight line, specifically down the middle of the course.

I've driven quite a few inboards that don't have any torque steer & driving a straight line I look in the rearview mirror & my path is a zigzag. I believe a little bit is normal, but not a lot.

That said there is a certain amount of adjustment in them too. One was is by filing on the rear edge of the rudder. I believe the other way is how Radioman describes. Depending on how much adjustment you need, you might end up doing both.

You could take it to Midas and get it aligned Whistling.gif

I have driven half a dozen Bu's over the past few years, and none of them have pulled hard in either direction. If you let go of the steering wheel completely they will veer one direction or another, but all my boat requires is light touch from my index finger on the wheel to keep it going straight.

It called loading the rudder, most DD have or need that to track better on the course. When I first got mine it pulled pretty hard, it just wasn't safe for me so I made some small adjustments on the rudder tab and it still pulls but not as bad. It's very common and it "should" only pull to one side not both it also depends on the rotation of the prop.

Edited by 68Slalom

Our boat never pulls to either side noticeably while holding the wheel, even lightly. There is a rudder tab, but we left it as is from the factory. Perhaps that was never adjusted properly. Could shaft alignment have any impact to this? But I would think you'd feel some vibrations. I'm not a mechanic, just throwing out ideas.

If you don't have a rudder with adjustment built in, the grinder is the way to go. It sounds like a bigger deal than it is. There is a lot of material there and its not like it needs to be balanced like a prop. I would think with a wakeboard boat you would want it to be neutral. There is really no need to load it, unless you really want your steering tight.

But for slalom its really nice to have.

Edited by bretski75

I'm going to say it is completly normal, the big boats still have torque steer like the smaller DD's.

You can center the steering wheel by shifting the wheel or the steering rack. I think the steering rack is easier and has more adjustment FWIW.

You could take it to Midas and get it aligned Whistling.gif

th_111px-Wtf.gif

Mine originally had almost no torque steer, but when I would ski behind it, it would get pulled all over the place by the skier. I adjusted the tab on the rudder to a moderately heavy torque steer to help the boat track better. That is most likely how it is set now.

Mine originally had almost no torque steer, but when I would ski behind it, it would get pulled all over the place by the skier. I adjusted the tab on the rudder to a moderately heavy torque steer to help the boat track better. That is most likely how it is set now.

I am thinking this is the case. That is what the former owner is telling me. I will find out next weekend when I get out.

I'm on my 2nd inboard, 1st v-drive, and both boats have/had a bit of torque steer. I have been told it was so the boat could be held in a straight line, specifically down the middle of the course.

I've driven quite a few inboards that don't have any torque steer & driving a straight line I look in the rearview mirror & my path is a zigzag. I believe a little bit is normal, but not a lot.

That said there is a certain amount of adjustment in them too. One was is by filing on the rear edge of the rudder. I believe the other way is how Radioman describes. Depending on how much adjustment you need, you might end up doing both.

Malibu's seem to have a little more torque steer than other brands and it varies from boat to boat, it is designed that way to help "keep her straight"... as you said "gives you something to hold against". sometimes they file too much off the leading edge or the rudder and it creates more torque than you need.