Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon oil leak

I just did the anual service on my 1998 Sunsetter and when I ran the engine to check for leaks, engine oil started leaking from the bottom of the bell housing at a very fast drip. It didnt leak when I ran the engine to warm it up to change the oil.

Could a rear main seal let go that fast or could it be something else?

This sucks, I hate to take it to the shop, they always try to hose you.

Just to be clear, you ran the engine to warm it up, no leaks, change oil, and then it leaks? I'm thinking this is too coincidental for a seal to just let go. I'd look at the filter install. Are you sure it's not dripping down the filter? Did the old gasket for the oil filter for sure come out with the filter. A double gasketed oil filter will leak.

Edited by vette-ski
I just did the anual service on my 1998 Sunsetter and when I ran the engine to check for leaks, engine oil started leaking from the bottom of the bell housing at a very fast drip. It didnt leak when I ran the engine to warm it up to change the oil.

Could a rear main seal let go that fast or could it be something else?

This sucks, I hate to take it to the shop, they always try to hose you.

wrong filter, defective filter, not to insult anyone , but was oil poured in right place. over full maybe?

Maybe the gasket from the old filter is stuck on the filter mount still.

Check the filter you took off to see if the gasket was removed or remove the filter and check both locations.

I did this to my car changing the oild too fast and before I knew it I had an fast oil leak and a extra gasket for the new filter.

Did not make for a good seal. Removed the filter and extra gasket and all was well the second time starting the engine up.

Also, Check oil level before you start it up for the second time. Make sure she is at the full...Not sure how much oil you lost.

wrong filter, defective filter, not to insult anyone , but was oil poured in right place. over full maybe?

Check the filter you took off to see if the gasket was removed or remove the filter and check both locations.

I did this to my car changing the oild too fast and before I knew it I had an fast oil leak and a extra gasket for the new filter.

Did not make for a good seal. Removed the filter and extra gasket and all was well the second time starting the engine up.

Also, Check oil level before you start it up for the second time. Make sure she is at the full...Not sure how much oil you lost.

My first thought was the filter or the gasket, I replaced it with a new one. I still had the leak.

My first thought was the filter or the gasket, I replaced it with a new one. I still had the leak.

Any other Ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Everything runs downhill. So are you positive it is leaking at the bell housing?

Or could it possibly be somewhere forward and higher? It could be leaking somewhere else, and running down the oil pan towards the bell housing and then finally dripping there.