Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom Skiing Advice

#1HEELSFAN

Just from reading some of the topics posted I know there is alot of avid skiers here. I'm 36 years old and ever since I was a young child I knew I wanted to learn how to slalom ski. So, I purchased an '07 Connelly Concept last year and set out to accomplish a childhood dream. The ski is 68" long because at the time I weighed 205 lbs. It took me half a days worth of trying but I finally managed to get up on 1 ski. I had my wife pulling me at 32 and 34 mph last season which I'm pretty sure is too fast for someone who has no idea of what their doing. None of my friends ski so up to this point I've had to learn on my own. Anyway, over the winter I went on a diet and started working out again and now I'm down to 170 lbs. Yesterday my wife and I took the boat out for the first time this year and although the water is still 62 degrees I had to get out there and ski. Of coarse I haven't purchased a wetsuit or neoprene top so it was a bit chilly but I still had a great time. I had her pulling me at 28 and 30 mph hoping that this would allow me to maybe work on my wake crossings. Wake crossing aren't that hard for me but I want to be able to cross them with enough speed so that I can carryout farther past the wakes. One of the first things that I noticed was that at 170 lbs. I just popped right out of the water and I was able to ski three times farther than last year. I realize now that buying the Connelly Concept was not the right thing to do. I guess I should have started out with a more recreational type ski but I'm the type that when I do something I tend to go all out. Can some of you slalom experts out there give me some advice on boat speeds, instructional videos? Should I put my Connelly in the closet and start skiing on a more recreational type ski until I'm ready for more performance or should I just keep using my Connelly and learn on it. Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I am far from a skiing expert but since I learned to ski about the same time you did, I might be able to give you some insight. For speed, I don't think you should go any slower than 30 mph. I think 30 is a good speed to learn and get comfortable. Any slower and the wakes tend to get big and make it harder to stay in good form. As for your ski, as long as it feels comfortable for you then keep using it. If the ski feels like it is too much, like squirrely, then maybe get something else but I doubt that ski is too much for you to handle.

As for instruction, two things I would recommend. First off, try to find some better skiers to ski with. Skiing with better skiers always make you better. Second, look for some teaching clinics in your area. Most of the inboard dealers will offer one day skiing clinics where they will bring in a pro. That will give you some of the biggest bang for the buck.

Good luck

I learned to slalom at about the same age as you Jeremy. The best advice I can give you is to get Gordon Rathbun's 12 Slalom drills video. And get some lessons. Mind you, your instructor will spend all his time telling you to get your hips up and your handle down but its good to hear it nevertheless.

Get the instructional videos and have someone video tape you!. It's hard for someone to explain to you what you are doing, seeing yourself on video tape saves a lot of interpretation. BTW that ski should be fine for you, minor fin adjustments make huge differences.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I will order the video today. I ski on Lake James. It's not that big but the views are incredible. There have been several movies made there like Last of the Mohicans and Hunt for Red October to name a few. It's funny that it was brought up to have someone video tape me skiing because last year I had my wife take some pictures while I was skiing and it clearly showed that my hands were way too high and I was not keeping my legs close enough together. What is the ballpark price for a 4 or 5 day ski camp?

Jeremy

Thanks guys for all the advice. I will order the video today. I ski on Lake James. It's not that big but the views are incredible. There have been several movies made there like Last of the Mohicans and Hunt for Red October to name a few. It's funny that it was brought up to have someone video tape me skiing because last year I had my wife take some pictures while I was skiing and it clearly showed that my hands were way too high and I was not keeping my legs close enough together. What is the ballpark price for a 4 or 5 day ski camp?

Jeremy

$650 for the week, meals included. It's the best place on earth to get better.

What state is Lake James in?

That's not a bad price at all. Heck, I guess I could double that and take my wife along as well. Lake James is located in the foothills of Western North Cackolaki ( otherwise known as North Carolina). It's pretty much at the foot of Mt. Mitchell which is the highest peak east of the Rocky Mountains.

Jeremy

the concept is probably a good ski for where you're at and aiming to go. I'm about 155 and learnt slalom course first at 26mph on a 66" ski with rope at 15' off.

It's pretty much at the foot of Mt. Mitchell which is the highest peak east of the Rocky Mountains.

Jeremy

I think Mt. Washington in NH is the highest peak in the Eastern US......IRRC

It's pretty much at the foot of Mt. Mitchell which is the highest peak east of the Rocky Mountains.

Jeremy

I think Mt. Washington in NH is the highest peak in the Eastern US......IRRC

Mt. Mitchell is 6,684 ft. above sea level which is nearly 400 ft. higher than Mt. Washington. Clingmans Dome in Tenn. is 6,643 ft. which is also higher than Mt. Washington.

Jeremy

the concept is probably a good ski for where you're at and aiming to go. I'm about 155 and learnt slalom course first at 26mph on a 66" ski with rope at 15' off.

Along with watching some videos and ski school I'm guessing I just need to put my time in behind the boat and enjoy the time spent on the water. I mean, if it were easy, then everyone would be doing it. I greatly appreciate everyone's input and support.

Jeremy

I had an 04 Connelly Concept and wish that I wouldnt have sold that ski. I've heard nothing but good things about the Concepts, but of course I'm not trying to set any records, I just enjoy carving up some glass.

If you took some videos of yourself this spring/summer and posted them to the internet (youtube or thewaterskiforum.com), there are PLENTY of great skiers who could post some feedback on what you're doing wrong, what you need to do, and how to go about fixing that (drills).

Make sure you checkout fifteenoff.com where it's a whole website dedicated to skiers like you (and me)!

Keep the Concept (its a great ski), even if you decide to get a shorter ski, its not so radically high end as to be an impedement to improvement, as long as you are comfortable getting out of the water on it. If you get a second ski, a 67" is about right for your current weight, but the 68" shouldn't be that far off, so I'd just stick with the Concept for now.

Also, instructional videos are good, but skiing with people who are better than you is also a big plus. You learn alot just from being around better skiers, be it ski school or a local ski club, if you can find one.

Finally, congrats on the weight loss. That's a major step forward.

Edited by jjackkrash
Keep the Concept (its a great ski), even if you decide to get a shorter ski, its not so radically high end as to be an impedement to improvement, as long as you are comfortable getting out of the water on it. If you get a second ski, a 67" is about right for your current weight, but the 68" shouldn't be that far off, so I'd just stick with the Concept for now.

Also, instructional videos are good, but skiing with people who are better than you is also a big plus. You learn alot just from being around better skiers, be it ski school or a local ski club, if you can find one.

Finally, congrats on the weight loss. That's a major step forward.

I appreciate everyones advice. I received my two skiing videos last week and it is all starting to make more sense. Now I've got some great drills to work on and a really good idea of technique in regards to stance, arm & handle position. I had these all wrong which was causing me to do the exact things that the video instructor said would happen. Thanks again for everyones support.

Jeremy