Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Mods?

Willy

I have done a great deal of research on upgrading the LS1 engine on the vette, I am not sure which block the monsoon uses but the diplacement is similar to the LS1, so possibly the same block. I have looked into cams, heads, exhaust, centrifugal superchargers etc. As far as exhaust, I would make sure I did my homework as the restrictions onthe exhaust can create back pressure which helps produce torque at low end. So, reducing restrictions to exhaust might be beneficial at higher RPM but hurting torque at low end. You could probably put on new cam and heads that you could either help low end torque or increase higher rpm HP but I have not seen a best of both worlds cam and heads that achieved both low end torque and higher hp. Most of the upgrades increase torque and HP at higher rpm's, mostly hitting the power curve at 3,000 plus rpm's. Without a forged bottom end there is increased risk of engine damage as well, especially in a supercharged application. I noticed I rarely go over 3,000 RPM unless I am just cruising accross the lake, but most of the time we are wakeboarding under the power curve.

My VLX has plenty of power for pulling a boarder, and I can already rip their arms off if I apply to much throttle. This boat will never be a race boat no matter how much HP and torque. There are faster boats with half the HP. Have to really determine what this boat is used for, if I really want the speed I would probably be better off investing in a different style boat. I would agree that a high performace prop might be a good option to achieve specific low end/top end goals.

This is very true our boats will never be fast, but I personally could use so extra HP and low end torque. I typically wakeboard at 5-6k feet and I my boat will never get up to speed and plain with all the weight I like to put into it. You typically go well over 3K RPM's when you initially start pulling someone up to wakeboarding speed. I am thinking heads may be my best option, but I really think there has to be a way to tune these engines electronically in the newer boats. I dont know if any of you have tuned your GM cars using EFI Live but if our boats have OBD11 ports EFI Live may be able to make it happen. I think I may have to look into this a bit more, as I hat not being able to weight my boat down the way I like at higher elevations.

I am located in Reno Nevada (4500 feet), but I typically go put the boat in Lake Tahoe at 6200 feet. Does anybody have a number for one of these boat tuners. I would love to get some more info.

That's something that I don't have any contact info for. It's just something that I've heard of in that area, & it makes sense given that the elevations that you & I are used to are child's play by comparison with some of their lakes. I went with the Hammerhead specifically because of the elevation issue - the more cubes that you have to start with, the less affected you will be at those higher elevations.

I actually have one in my tool box that I'm going to install on my bike, I'm trying to reduce the power :unsure: seriously :) that thing scares the crap out of me at full throttle :blush:

I actually laughed out loud at that. Some of the newer bikes are nucking futs. Me, I like a good Monster. Biggrin.gif At some point I might buy myself one.

I like the power too, but I'll tell you.....when you can't predict when the front tire is going to come off the ground it gets a little scary. First gear no popping or feathering the clutch front tire comes up at will, in second gear at about 8K rpm, you have to hold on and your already going about 80 mph plus and the tire starts to pull up, I have to back out a bit because I don't want to know what will happen if I have to shift with the tire in the air

Side note: "mental thought to myself" (heart is pumping fast now just thinking about it) :)

Edited by 68Slalom
Slap a OJ 468 on that boat and you'll be fine, another member regularly from Reno hits the higher elevation lakes with this prop.

I changed the prop out and it definitely helped and I can run nearly full weight 3000 lbs factory ballast, fat sacks, and lead with 5 adults in it around 4500 feet but not up in Tahoe. I have the acme 1235, I think it has a similiar pitch/cup/diameter as the OJ468.

Edited by jrad12381
I have done a great deal of research on upgrading the LS1 engine on the vette, I am not sure which block the monsoon uses but the diplacement is similar to the LS1, so possibly the same block. I have looked into cams, heads, exhaust, centrifugal superchargers etc. As far as exhaust, I would make sure I did my homework as the restrictions onthe exhaust can create back pressure which helps produce torque at low end. So, reducing restrictions to exhaust might be beneficial at higher RPM but hurting torque at low end. You could probably put on new cam and heads that you could either help low end torque or increase higher rpm HP but I have not seen a best of both worlds cam and heads that achieved both low end torque and higher hp. Most of the upgrades increase torque and HP at higher rpm's, mostly hitting the power curve at 3,000 plus rpm's. Without a forged bottom end there is increased risk of engine damage as well, especially in a supercharged application. I noticed I rarely go over 3,000 RPM unless I am just cruising accross the lake, but most of the time we are wakeboarding under the power curve.

My VLX has plenty of power for pulling a boarder, and I can already rip their arms off if I apply to much throttle. This boat will never be a race boat no matter how much HP and torque. There are faster boats with half the HP. Have to really determine what this boat is used for, if I really want the speed I would probably be better off investing in a different style boat. I would agree that a high performace prop might be a good option to achieve specific low end/top end goals.

This is very true our boats will never be fast, but I personally could use so extra HP and low end torque. I typically wakeboard at 5-6k feet and I my boat will never get up to speed and plain with all the weight I like to put into it. You typically go well over 3K RPM's when you initially start pulling someone up to wakeboarding speed. I am thinking heads may be my best option, but I really think there has to be a way to tune these engines electronically in the newer boats. I dont know if any of you have tuned your GM cars using EFI Live but if our boats have OBD11 ports EFI Live may be able to make it happen. I think I may have to look into this a bit more, as I hat not being able to weight my boat down the way I like at higher elevations.

From my experience with stock motor's tuned, and it's limited because you usually don't spend the money on tuning a stock factory set up to only gain 15-20 hp, you would get more from a cam, valve springs, MAF, intake and bigger injectors then add a tune but plan on gas mileage to drop a lot. A good set of heads are going to be around $2000 plus install and the stock LS1 heads have enough flow to get more than 40-50hp increase with the right bolt ons.