Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Safety of wakesurfing off swimdeck

stroke

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the saftey of wakesurfing starting from the swimdeck. I had a scary experience today where i lost my balance when starting from the swimdeck and attempted to jump back onto the swimdeck with my front foot landing on deck and then i felt the rope wrap around my back foot as i was falling into the water.. Luckely after hitting the water it only gave a small drag then the rope unwrapped. Was a very scary experience and i was much more carefull after to make sure the rope was in my hands while getting out instead of dragging in the water but then theres the scare of it wrapping around your hands or arms. Do many of you start from the deck or from the water..?

Thats just how ive always done it..I put the board down and get 1 foot on it then toss out the rope then ease back and wait till i find the sweet spot before i toss the rope back into the boat.

When I start off the swim deck I hold the handle in one hand and the rope in the other making sure it is not wrapped in a way that could wrap around my arm.. We have a surf rope that is quite thick and a very small handle. Then I let the rope take me out in to the spot, then toss it in when I am underway.. I have been wanting to try without the rope completely but I am going to wait until the water warms up a little..

Anytime you have the rope dragging in the water beside or behind you or coiled up in your hand, you are begging for an injury. Simple as that.

Plus1.gif

further to that. you need a surf specific rope. do not be using a ski/wakeboard rope for surfing. they are just too dangerous. I hadn't finished making one before we decided to go surfing and seeing that we were all experienced (read old) boaters/skiers/foilers/surfers, we decided we could get by with a ski rope.

It cost my buddy the end of his little finger when he fell and got the rope somehow wrapped around his little finger. The tighening of the rope cut it right off at the joint below the fingernail. He was lucky it was not his whole hand or worse.

you spend several hundred bucks on a board, buy the right rope to go with it. get one that does not have a handle at all.

When I start off the swim deck I hold the handle in one hand and the rope in the other making sure it is not wrapped in a way that could wrap around my arm.. We have a surf rope that is quite thick and a very small handle. Then I let the rope take me out in to the spot, then toss it in when I am underway.. I have been wanting to try without the rope completely but I am going to wait until the water warms up a little..

Surf rope for sure!! And I would not use a rope from the deck. If using a rope, I still prefer water starts, and then when I get slack in the rope just toss it in or have someone pull it in. Plus I've witnessed people trying deck starts then proceed to scratch the deck (fiberglass) or back of the boat.

This is not related, but this topic reminded me of this. A guy on our lake last year was in the boat pulling in a regular wakeboard rope and was coiling it around his arm (which is a no-no). Somehow the handle got under the boat (still running while turning around to pick up a fallen rider) and he lost his arm. Dude was 16 years old when that happened.