Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is your teak deck always underwater?

malibu dad

I purchased a 2001 Sunsetter VLX a couple of years ago. I keep it on a lake near my home, and have always wondered if the weight distribution is somehow off...the teak deck is always a couple of inches under water...(without any people on the boat)

We use the boat for skiing and wakeboarding - We do not use any balast systems, and I'm thinking of buying a fat sack for the bow to help level the boat out when the wedge is down...

Is this something I should worry about, or is this the way the Sunsetter VLX is set up?

Something sounds way off. I have the same boat as you and my platform is several inches above the water with nobody in it. See picture. Maybe your platform brackets are installed lower on the hull or you have the wrong brackets. As you can see on mine, the platform on the boat lines up with the stripe across the back. If your platform is in the same location relative to the stripe, then I have no idea what would be weighting your boat down. Should be good for boarding though. And yeah, adding weight to the front is a good idea for boarding.

post-335-1211086559_thumb.jpg

I purchased a 2001 Sunsetter VLX a couple of years ago. I keep it on a lake near my home, and have always wondered if the weight distribution is somehow off...the teak deck is always a couple of inches under water...(without any people on the boat)

We use the boat for skiing and wakeboarding - We do not use any balast systems, and I'm thinking of buying a fat sack for the bow to help level the boat out when the wedge is down...

Is this something I should worry about, or is this the way the Sunsetter VLX is set up?

Somethings not right. can you post up a pic of where your mounting brackets are? does the boat sit level in the water or bow high? Your boat comes with stock MLS ballast, it is empty right?

Edited by Cervelo

My 00 RLX's swim platform sat in the water a little bit. I would say about 1/2 in the water when the boat was just sitting, I am sure it varies from each model. My V-Ride sits above the water quite a bit.

Ours is just a little bit above the waterline. Vette-ski has the LS1 which is a lighter engine which might explain why his sits a little higher off the water. It shouldn't be a couple inches under when at rest unless there's a lot of weight in the back.

I have a 2000 WS VLX very similar boat and my platform was always about 1 under when the boat was full of people and gear. This turns into a problem when a boarder is putting on their board and a small roller comes along, lifts the board off the deck and hits the transome. So, I added about 2" of teak on top of the brackets and solved that problem.

post-29-1211130955_thumb.jpg

Actually mine has a Monsoon motor. Looking at Pete's picture suggests there's some variation on where the platform is installed. Granted it's not an identical boat to ours, but should be in the ballpark. Take out his spacer and the platform is quite a bit below the stripe. Mine is right at the stripe. There's plenty of 01 SS-vlx owners here that can take a look and chime in.

Somethings not right. can you post up a pic of where your mounting brackets are? does the boat sit level in the water or bow high? Your boat comes with stock MLS ballast, it is empty right?

Thanks to everyone who replied - Some of your pictures look like mine, while others don't.

I do not have a ballast system in the front, or the rear...perhaps that is why the bow is slightly angled up...

I have a wedge, and will probably buy some sort of fat sack for the front to lower the bow, and create a better wake for boarding...

I'm trying to attach a picture of my boat, and can't figure it out...man I'm a goof - thanks again to everyone for posting...

Thanks to everyone who replied - Some of your pictures look like mine, while others don't.

I do not have a ballast system in the front, or the rear...perhaps that is why the bow is slightly angled up...

I have a wedge, and will probably buy some sort of fat sack for the front to lower the bow, and create a better wake for boarding...

I'm trying to attach a picture of my boat, and can't figure it out...man I'm a goof - thanks again to everyone for posting...

There is not any ballast filled in the picture of my boat in the slip. I am pretty sure MLS is standard on the 01 ssvlx so you do have ballast in the ski locker area. The boat should not be sitting bow high when just sitting in the water. anyway here is a diagram on how to insert pictures.

howto-1.jpg

store your picture on photobucket first.

Dosen't sound right, but nothing a few spacers can't fix.

I have the same boat as you, no ballast, but I can't comment becuase I've never had the boat in the water....

Hmmm, this is odd. Cervelo, I've bounced back and forth between my pics and yours and yours for sure looks lower on the boat than mine. You don't have the stripe, but I can see the contours in your hull. Also I have several inches between my platform and wedge foil when it is up. Yours looks pretty close. It's gotta be difference in brackets or mounting positions on the hull.

And just FYI, my boat doesn't have MLS so it's for sure not standard issue for 01 SS VLX. My ski locker is empty. Well, it used to be. I put a sac in there in the off season.

Hmmm, this is odd. Cervelo, I've bounced back and forth between my pics and yours and yours for sure looks lower on the boat than mine. You don't have the stripe, but I can see the contours in your hull. Also I have several inches between my platform and wedge foil when it is up. Yours looks pretty close. It's gotta be difference in brackets or mounting positions on the hull.

And just FYI, my boat doesn't have MLS so it's for sure not standard issue for 01 SS VLX. My ski locker is empty. Well, it used to be. I put a sac in there in the off season.

you are right, if you look at the lift hooks at the back of the boat you can see that my (former) grid is noticeably lower than yours.

you are right, if you look at the lift hooks at the back of the boat you can see that my (former) grid is noticeably lower than yours.

Our platform has some light scuff marks from the wedge foil contacting it from time to time. Probably why our platform is right on the water when at rest.

Maybe nobody cares at this point but I think I found the difference. The brackets mounted to the bottom of my teak appear to be a lot larger than the pics posted by Pete and Cervelo. Looking at the boat, there's a flat spot where they mount the brackets on the hull and there isn't alot of room to move there. So I think it's in the platform bracket. Mine is a solid triangle and looks to be twice as tall as the others. So why would they be different? Dontknow.gif