Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Regular or Synthetic

I am considering switching to synthetic oil in my Sunsetter. Is this really any better? I am aware, once I switch, I stay for good!

Thoughts, and advice welcome.

The gap in quality and lubrication ability between syn and conv oil has closed quite a bit in the last few years. As a matter of fact most synthetic oils today are not even synthetic, but over processed conventional oil, that they are allowed to call synthetic. The only true advantage of syn today is extended oil change intervals which most people do not need in a boat because they use the boat less than 100 hrs per season and would have to change at the end of the season anyway. I personally use syn in my truck for the extended change interval (7500-10,000 miles), but in my Malibu I use conventional. The extra cost is not justified, and many other things on a motor will fail before a lubrication problem pops up. How often do you hear about blown engines today? If your engine has a lot of hours on it (like 1500+), synthetic oil could cause oil leaks because it does have a better ability to seep. The myth about not going back to conv oil once you start using syn is completely untrue, you can even mix them if you want.

Edited by electricjohn
I am considering switching to synthetic oil in my Sunsetter. Is this really any better? I am aware, once I switch, I stay for good!

Thoughts, and advice welcome.

A lot of us do run synthetic. Is it better oil - yes, do we need it - probably not. Our boats usually are not going to see enough hours to be "worn out", unlike a car that we might think we are going to run for 200,000 miles & synthetic might help us achieve that. Where I live - like many boaters, the season is four months, after twenty years my engine won't be worn out, with or without synthetic. I run it because, I guess, I love my boat. :) Just like the expensive wax, the expensive vinyl treatment & an expensive house just for it. As far as "having to switch for good", that is a wives tale, you can switch back & forth, mix them, whatever, the engine won't know or care.

The gap in quality and lubrication ability between syn and conv oil has closed quite a bit in the last few years. As a matter of fact most synthetic oils today are not even synthetic, but over processed conventional oil, that they are allowed to call synthetic. The only true advantage of syn today is extended oil change intervals which most people do not need in a boat because they use the boat less than 100 hrs per season and would have to change at the end of the season anyway. I personally use syn in my truck for the extended change interval (7500-10,000 miles), but in my Malibu I use conventional. The extra cost is not justified, and many other things on a motor will fail before a lubrication problem pops up. How often do you hear about blown engines today? If your engine has a lot of hours on it (like 1500+), synthetic oil could cause oil leaks because it does have a better ability to seep. The myth about going back to conv oil once you start using syn is completely untrue, you can even mix them if you want.

I would agree with pretty much everything said here. If you run a ton of hours per season, I'd consider it. The advantage of the true synthetic is that it won't break down as soon as a conventional. If you use the right oil (marine/diesel), they are rated for the heavy duty cycle already and the seasonal change (for me) is overkill as it is. And yes, seals and gaskets not designed for synthetic or somewhat worn out will tend to leak when you switch. As for the comment about the content of conventional oil in a synthetic, kind of makes you wonder why the cost of a "synthetic" oil would rise now that oil prices are up. If it's 100% synthetic, it should still cost about the same. Mobil 1 price has gone up quite a bit in the last year or so.

I called Indmar and they do not recommend synthetic. The number is (901) 353-9930 if you want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Wood

As for the comment about the content of conventional oil in a synthetic, kind of makes you wonder why the cost of a "synthetic" oil would rise now that oil prices are up. If it's 100% synthetic, it should still cost about the same. Mobil 1 price has gone up quite a bit in the last year or so.

Mobil 1 and some of the Amsoil synthetics are the last of the true PAO synthetics out there, unless you buy imported brand oils. Mobil 1 might not even be a true synthetic anymore, but I have not heard that yet.

I just had to chime in here. I've seen a number of automotive and a few boat engines opened up for performance work and in every case the engines run with dino oil have developed varnish and sludge in all the usual places. The engines run on synthetic (Mobil 1 or Royal Purple) look as clean as the day they came from the factory. Many modern engines are using smaller oil journals and have seen some failure due to build up inside the journals. Synthetic oil will never give you that problem. That's all I run in all my engines.

I've heard many rumors about Mobil 1 on several internet forums. Although they may be unfounded. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against synthetics. I've run it in many cars and still do today. I just don't use it in the boat. I switched from Mobil 1 to Amsoil a few years ago.

I run Synthetics in my dirt bikes and for my truck Mobil 1, Lucas oil and the last oil change I bought a bunch of Royal Purple on sale. But I've always used old school Chevron Delo 15-40 in the boat since the first oil change Dontknow.gif