Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

carb make and model

Can someone please tell me the make and model of my carb.

the boat is a 90 malibu skier with a 5.7 mercruiser motor. Everything is stock.

i ask because i need a rebuild kit, the carb is leaking fuel pretty bad.

is a rebuild worth the hassle or should i just get an edelbrock or something along those lines.

thanks in advance.

is a rebuild worth the hassle or should i just get an edelbrock or something along those lines.

thanks in advance.

This is what i'm thinking.

http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingS...productID=40999

thanks in advance.

http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingS...productID=40999

You should have a carb number on the core of the carb. It might be covered with black paint. Most are on the front part of the carb on the very bottom of the carb base, and usually on the drivers side. This number will tell you what kind of carb. you have. I just replaced mine on a 1995 Malibu Echelon with the mercruiser 350 magnum tournament ski. After getting all parts, needles,floats jets,gaskets and the whole works, the end cost was $175 just for parts. With a big job ahead, I decided to get a new Edelbrock E1409. It's a 600 cfm Marine carb. with electric choke. I'm glad I went the new route, because after taking off the old carb. I found most of the bottom air flow valves of the carb. were rusted. Edelbrock 1409 was $340. After running it all day yesterday, i'm glad I went new. Unbolt the old, bolt on the new, connect throttle linkage and connect wires to choke. Whole job took less than an hour. The boat has never run so smooth. It idles at 840-844 in neutral, just in gear it idles at a steady 650, and I mean steady. Idled for 20-30 mins. and it only changed rpm's twice and only 2 to 648. Pulled a skier at 34 mph at 3240 rpm. It never moved more than 10 rpms the whole time. I was also amazed how quiet the motor is now compared to the old carb. That was a 9770SA Weber 4bbl. The difference in price for new carb. vs. rebuilt will probably be paid for in better fuel efficiency and more speed with less rpm's this summer especially with the way gas prices are going. Check the internet for pricing on Edelrock. Their easy to install yourself. Also, my local boat dealer wanted minimum $300 to rebuild the old carb. This new carb. runs as well as the EFI on my Vride, just doesn't have turn key start when cold. You still have to pump twice and give a little throttle till its wamed up.

thanks in advance.

<a href="http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingS...productID=40999" target="_blank">http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingS...productID=40999</a>

You should have a carb number on the core of the carb. It might be covered with black paint. Most are on the front part of the carb on the very bottom of the carb base, and usually on the drivers side. This number will tell you what kind of carb. you have. I just replaced mine on a 1995 Malibu Echelon with the mercruiser 350 magnum tournament ski. After getting all parts, needles,floats jets,gaskets and the whole works, the end cost was $175 just for parts. With a big job ahead, I decided to get a new Edelbrock E1409. It's a 600 cfm Marine carb. with electric choke. I'm glad I went the new route, because after taking off the old carb. I found most of the bottom air flow valves of the carb. were rusted. Edelbrock 1409 was $340. After running it all day yesterday, i'm glad I went new. Unbolt the old, bolt on the new, connect throttle linkage and connect wires to choke. Whole job took less than an hour. The boat has never run so smooth. It idles at 840-844 in neutral, just in gear it idles at a steady 650, and I mean steady. Idled for 20-30 mins. and it only changed rpm's twice and only 2 to 648. Pulled a skier at 34 mph at 3240 rpm. It never moved more than 10 rpms the whole time. I was also amazed how quiet the motor is now compared to the old carb. That was a 9770SA Weber 4bbl. The difference in price for new carb. vs. rebuilt will probably be paid for in better fuel efficiency and more speed with less rpm's this summer especially with the way gas prices are going. Check the internet for pricing on Edelrock. Their easy to install yourself. Also, my local boat dealer wanted minimum $300 to rebuild the old carb. This new carb. runs as well as the EFI on my Vride, just doesn't have turn key start when cold. You still have to pump twice and give a little throttle till its wamed up.

awsome!

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like this is the way to go.

Just ordered my 1409. It was $347 from summitracing. was gonna go with a rebuilt for $255 but I would not have recieved the carb until mid june.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the advice.

thanks in advance.

<a href="http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingS...productID=40999" target="_blank">http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingS...productID=40999</a>

awsome!

Did you need an adaptor plate for the carb too match your intake?

thanks in advance.

awsome!

Did you need an adaptor plate for the carb too match your intake?

No, I had a angle plate on the intake that kept the carb. level. the plate was spread bore which looks like a 4 leaf clover with 2 bigger leaves at stern side of boat and 2 smaller leafs at bow side of boat . My Edelbrock came with a square bore gasket. It looks like a perfect square was cut out of the gasket. I slid the gasket over the bolts and the outside edge of the gasket rested on the intake leaving no open space,so I put on the carb. You want to make sure the gasket rests on the surface of the intake, so you don't have any vacuum leaks. After I did this I wondered about the part of the gasket that over lapped the intake, the Mercruiser dealer in my area and my brother in law an auto mechanic said any overlap of the gasket on the inside edge was no big deal as long as the outside edge of the gasket was resting on the intake to insure a vacuum seal. Bolted it down, Tested the timing, adjusted the two front idle adjustment screws for highest RPM's , then put it in gear at lowest possible idle and then set the idle screw on font of carb on passenger side to 650, and away she went. Still runs great, used it a lot this weekend even more then the Vride. It is nice because it does'nt vapor lock as easily as the Vride with our high humidity and temps and 10% ethanol gas that we have down here in Florida. Have fun.