Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning a Rankin Cover?

25lsvwakesetter

Hey all,

Best way to clean and freshen up a Rankin Cover?

Suggestions/methods would be appreciated!

Some have suggested using an industrial washing machine and then treating with 303 Fabric Protectant.

I spread mine out in the driveway and pressure washed it. After it dried, I treated with the 303. Came out looking great.

I've been washing my two covers in a 5 load commercial washer for a few years. Last year one of the seams came apart. I think this go 'round, I'm just gonna wash it by hand in a big trash barrel.

I've been washing my two covers in a 5 load commercial washer for a few years. Last year one of the seams came apart. I think this go 'round, I'm just gonna wash it by hand in a big trash barrel.
thank you. that is how i have done it for years. my kids thought i was nuts.

To add to that. My boat has been stored outside it's whole life. The cover gets dirty within a week or so after washing it. The only reason I actually wash it is at the beginning of the rainy season so that I can apply 303 waterproofer to it.

To add to that. My boat has been stored outside it's whole life. The cover gets dirty within a week or so after washing it. The only reason I actually wash it is at the beginning of the rainy season so that I can apply 303 waterproofer to it.

How does that work out? How do you apply the 303?

I washed my "factory" cover with soapy water, then used a colloidal convertible top cleaner. It looked brand spanking new. So I used a garden sprayer and applied nearly a gallon of 303 Fabric Guard or whatever they call the stuff. I let it "cure" in the sun on my driveway all day. That evening, I spot tested for waterproofedness. The water just rolled off so I thought that I was good.

The next day, it poured like you know what. I swear that the 303 washed completely away. The cover gets soaked every time it rains as it I hadn't done a thing to it.

How have your results differed?

I apply a gallon of 303 with a garden sprayer just like you. Luckily for me, it only rains out here for about 4 months of the year during the winter. I'm not kidding, it won't rain now until ~Oct. except for maybe one freak small shower. Anyway, the 303 is good but not bullet-proof. During winter lay-up, only, I install a second tarp over the fabric cover to keep the bulk of the rain off. I also have 4 Driz the air and 2 electronic dehumidifiers in the boat. I live in the mountains and when it rains, it rains hard.

post-29-1211147655_thumb.jpg

post-29-1211147655_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't use 303 as a waterproofer, it's not their claim to fame. It is good for UV protection though. You'd probably be better off with some sort of fabric waterproofer.

Yes,

I'm referring to 303 Fabric gaurd. It is what sunbrella recommends for keeping fabric waterproof.

This is it. This is not necessarily a good price.

Edited by Pistol Pete