Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help! Didn't see zerk fitting on my rudder box

peterjbrown

89 skier, last season steering was fine, now seems a little tight. Did some reading up on here and went to grease the zerk fitting on the rudder box, but didn't see one! Did I just miss it? I gave it a thourough looksee, but didn't see anything remotely resembling a grease fitting.

Any thoughts? Can I disassemble the rudder box and grease that way? Thanks for the help! Don't know what I'd do without the reference material on here!

I don't know if an '89 Skier had the zirk fitting to grease the rudder collar or not. If it does, it should be facing the bow of the boat.

Since access is relatively easy on your boat, I would recommend disconnecting the tiller arm on the end of the steering cable from the rudder shaft to check to make sure the problem is actually in the rudder. With the steering cable disconnected, if the rudder moves freely from side to side, then the problem is in the steering cable (which is more likely).

I also am putting bucks on the steering cable. I spent a season trying to free one up on my old boat. After the season I put a new cable in and wow just like new one finger steering.