Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much room do I need in my garage for a VLX...?

IXFE

Let me preface by saying that I have never owned a boat, never pulled a boat, never backed up with a boat. I am looking at several local VLX's and would like some guidance on parking one in my garage. This will save me from the hassle of towing somebody else's VLX home just to try it out.

The facts:

• I have a 3-car garage.
  • I only own two cars so I have an open slot. Thumbup.gif
  • The opening is 8-foot tall with roll-up doors.
  • The depth of my garage is 22'4". It's actually a few feet deeper but there are two poles cemented into the floor preventing me from hitting the water heater and furnace taking up the space behind them. I suppose it's possible for wedge to protrude into that airspace (beyond the 22'4").
  • The width from the wall on one side to the car on the other side is 120". So if the you place a VLX in the middle of that space, I'm left with 5" of free space in front, 5" of free space in back, and a combined 22" split between both sides (I'd prefer to keep it as tight as possible the wall to maximize space between boat an car.

The questions:

1. If I take off the swim platform and swing the tongue away, does the VLX measure a true 21'6" on the trailer? What about the wedge?
  2. How much room do I realistically need around the boat? I'm not too worried about walking space. I just don't know how I'll be able to back a boat into a garage where there are only inches to spare on each side.
  3. Is it really hard to be super precise when backing a boat into a garage slot like this?
  4. Is it possible to manuver the boat/trailer around by some other means than the truck?

I would love a VTX just to make the depth a no-brainer, but the used ones are too new to find a deal. Anybody know of any VTX's priced in the mid-40's?

Thanks!!

I put my VLX into a storage unit with a 10' wide garage door with little or no problems. However I have a 10' tall door so it clears with the tower up by 3". If you pull the swim platform and can squeeze the power wedge into the slot you should be covered. The extreme trailer is flush with the nose of the boat when you spin the tongue of the trailer as is the back of the trailer. So it should fit. If you have a depth issue you could always find a VLX with a floating wedge or manual wedge and just put it down when you stick it in the garage. Good luck

Which stall are you planning to use? Check the width of the door opening. I have a 3 car garage....one door is "8'" wide, the other is 16'. However the 8' isn't a true 8' after it got bricked in. The only way I'd get mine in that door is to take the guide posts off of the back of the trailer, and then I'd probably have less than an inch per side at the tires. I've backed plenty of trailers, but I'm sure I'd have a lot of scrapes on the sides through a season because it's pretty tight. Other than that, I can't help you a lot. I don't have a swing tongue, I have 24' depth, but I also have cabinets and I use my garage a lot so I want walking space. I put the boat in the double stall and swing it in on angle, so it takes up both spots. During the summer, the daily drivers can sit outside.

Which stall are you planning to use? Check the width of the door opening. I have a 3 car garage....one door is "8'" wide, the other is 16'. However the 8' isn't a true 8' after it got bricked in. The only way I'd get mine in that door is to take the guide posts off of the back of the trailer, and then I'd probably have less than an inch per side at the tires. I've backed plenty of trailers, but I'm sure I'd have a lot of scrapes on the sides through a season because it's pretty tight. Other than that, I can't help you a lot. I don't have a swing tongue, I have 24' depth, but I also have cabinets and I use my garage a lot so I want walking space. I put the boat in the double stall and swing it in on angle, so it takes up both spots. During the summer, the daily drivers can sit outside.

My 3 car garage had one 8' wide door and one 16' wide door. I'd be putting the boat on the right side of the 16' wide door, so I won't have to thread it through a narrow door.

I understand the difference between a manual wedge and a power wedge. What is a floating wedge? Is that just another way of saying manual wedge? Or is it something different altogether?

WedgePolishedComplete_B.jpg

My 3 car garage had one 8' wide door and one 16' wide door. I'd be putting the boat on the right side of the 16' wide door, so I won't have to thread it through a narrow door.

I understand the difference between a manual wedge and a power wedge. What is a floating wedge? Is that just another way of saying manual wedge? Or is it something different altogether?

Yea basically the same thing. They changed the old style manual wedge to the one that just floats instead of locking in place when in the down postion.

The Floating Wedge is the name given to the current manual Wedge design (the one you pictured) to differentiate it from previous generation manual Wedges. In the past, the manual Wedge was fixed in the down position, where as the new one is free floating when down.

You'll have plenty of room for a VLX in your garage, regardless of which Wedge it has, so find the best deal for a boat that is setup the way you need it.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Let me preface by saying that I have never owned a boat, never pulled a boat, never backed up with a boat. I am looking at several local VLX's and would like some guidance on parking one in my garage. This will save me from the hassle of towing somebody else's VLX home just to try it out.

The facts:

• I have a 3-car garage.
  • I only own two cars so I have an open slot. :thumbup:
  • The opening is 8-foot tall with roll-up doors.
  • The depth of my garage is 22'4". It's actually a few feet deeper but there are two poles cemented into the floor preventing me from hitting the water heater and furnace taking up the space behind them. I suppose it's possible for wedge to protrude into that airspace (beyond the 22'4").
  • The width from the wall on one side to the car on the other side is 120". So if the you place a VLX in the middle of that space, I'm left with 5" of free space in front, 5" of free space in back, and a combined 22" split between both sides (I'd prefer to keep it as tight as possible the wall to maximize space between boat an car.

The questions:

1. If I take off the swim platform and swing the tongue away, does the VLX measure a true 21'6" on the trailer? What about the wedge?
  2. How much room do I realistically need around the boat? I'm not too worried about walking space. I just don't know how I'll be able to back a boat into a garage where there are only inches to spare on each side.
  3. Is it really hard to be super precise when backing a boat into a garage slot like this?
  4. Is it possible to manuver the boat/trailer around by some other means than the truck?

I would love a VTX just to make the depth a no-brainer, but the used ones are too new to find a deal. Anybody know of any VTX's priced in the mid-40's?

Thanks!!

I have a VLX and a 3 car garage. One door is 8' and the other is 16",the length is 21' the height is 7'. I could put the boat in the 16' foot door, but I would have to lower the tower, remove the platform and most likely swing the tongue. Do not want the hassle, plus I need my garage for other things, 4 year old son takes up allot. I put my boat in a 10' x 25' stall but did not have enough room out front to straighten up when backing in. I scratched my fender and moved the next week to 12' x 25' x 10' tall stall. This works perfect for me. No folding, no collapsing, no removing anything. After a long day on the water, then clean up, you do not want to take your boat apart and try to fit a square peg into a round hole especially after a few libations. I think you will love having a VLX. I love mine. Good luck! :thumbup:

I have about 3" of room on either side to put my response in the garage, with the guideposts on. It's pretty easy to back in in. Usually have to be a little more careful to line up the truck and boat properly when taking it out (my driveway has a funky curve though)

-Chris

Edited by 99response

Man, I need to build a garage for my boat. I just don't have the $15K to do it right. My pathetic garage won't even fit my Expedition!

Man, I need to build a garage for my boat. I just don't have the $15K to do it right. My pathetic garage won't even fit my Expedition!

I feel your pain, that why I am forced to rent a storage unit at $200.00 a month!! The things we do for our toys.