Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CD/Radio Kills the Battery

nemalibu

Hello All:

I noticed that there was a constant draw on my battery of ~200 mA. At first I was thinking that this was the ECM failing to go to sleep. After some poking around I found that the CD player circuit was where the current was comming from. I pulled the plug for this circuit out of the breaker and no more current draw.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this and if anyone knows if it is likely that anything besides the cd player is on that circuit.

At this point I plan to rewire the radio to get its power through one of the accessory switches (it proabably should have been done that way to start with) but it is not clear to me how to get access to the area where those wires are (I took out a bunch of screws but I still could barely get enough room for a blind hand in the area).

The radio acc power is pulled off the ignition switch. It is white with a blue or purple tracer and is on the "A" terminal of the ignition switch.

But check if the draw is coming from there or off the circuit breaker. The headunit has a power in and then the accessory power also.

The radio acc power is pulled off the ignition switch. It is white with a blue or purple tracer and is on the "A" terminal of the ignition switch.

But check if the draw is coming from there or off the circuit breaker. The headunit has a power in and then the accessory power also.

I could not see anything. I just reached up to feel each wire comming out from each breaker and placed a current clamp around each one and found the current draw. The wire connected to the breaker labled "Radio" was the one and I noticed that the radio had a red LED which occasionally blinked. I know that CD players will often use some power to support an instant on mode of operation.

Should I expect that anything else might be getting power from that circuit? I tried everything else I could (boat is not in the water) and everything except the radio seemed to work with this wire puled off of the breaker.

Is it possibe that the ECM would get its power from this circuit?

Should only be the radio on that circuit, if you have a pair of slims to get that radio HU out I would disconnect the harness and see what happens to the draw on the battery.

The radio will have some draw to keep the presets and stuff, but that should not be nearly enough to drain a battery.

-Chris