Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LS1 oil pressure sender location

I have the 2000 Bu with the LS1 Corvette engine, my oil pressure guage is fluctuating bad. I am trying to locate the sender. Does anyone know where itis and what color wire you have comming out of it?

anybody else LS1 or not have any pressure guage problems?

Thanks

Patrick

I have the 2000 Bu with the LS1 Corvette engine, my oil pressure guage is fluctuating bad. I am trying to locate the sender. Does anyone know where itis and what color wire you have comming out of it?

anybody else LS1 or not have any pressure guage problems? I dont know where Indmar puts the sending unit, but I know where the only three drilled and tapped ports on a LS1 engine , that it could be.

(1) on top the engine all the way in the back just clearing the intake manifold where distributers use to be.

(2) on the top in the front of the engine just clearing the intake.

(3) low on the side of the block just above the oil filter one inch off the gasket surface center line with the filter

Thanks

Patrick

anybody else LS1 or not have any pressure guage problems? I dont know where Indmar puts the sending unit, but I know where the only three drilled and tapped ports on a LS1 engine , that it could be.

(1) on top the engine all the way in the back just clearing the intake manifold where distributers use to be.

(2) on the top in the front of the engine just clearing the intake.

(3) low on the side of the block just above the oil filter one inch off the gasket surface center line with the filter

Thanks

Patrick

Looked at all 3 locations and 1&3 have units attached. #1 location has a rubber boot (with some crankcase oil around it and a brown single wire. had the engine running and disconnected the single lead to the unit and the guage was still fluctuating. Have not tried # 3 location yet but it looks different...not like any sender I have seen. Looks like a bell kind of.(if that makes sense)

The guage is hanging around 40 psi at idle and fluctuates quite a bit. I wonder if it is a bad ground on the guage side of the house?

anybody else haveing oil pressure guage problems?

Anybody else

Check your cannon plug first. And yes, the oil sender is bell shaped. It is by the filter.

Edited by electricjohn
MalibuNation

anybody else LS1 or not have any pressure guage problems?

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick, no problems with my LS1 or oil gauge, engine purrs like a kitten.

Check your cannon plug first. And yes, the oil sender is bell shaped. It is by the filter.

Thanks I will check the cannon plug first and the one in the #1 location (on top of the block behind the intake manifold ) must be the oil pressure SWITCH. This is the single lead I took off while the engine was running and nothing changed.....I thought it was supposed to kill the engine when no pressure was sensed is there a redundancy somewhere I dont know about?

Thanks for the help.

Patrick.

Should look like this.

They're pretty well known for going flaky after about 5 years.

Easy to change out, just be sure not to torque the connector off the engine while you're removing the old one.

Should look like this.

They're pretty well known for going flaky after about 5 years.

Easy to change out, just be sure not to torque the connector off the engine while you're removing the old one.

Thanks , oyur right thats it...finding one local is tough.

I cleaned out the cannon plug and messed with it for quite a while...cant get it to find a solid state....I need to change out the sending unit to make sure thats not it.

Do any ogf you knw the part number I could get one from the car dealer? thay are haveing trouble locating it in the files...I dont think it is the same as a stock corvette one . I think Malibu had to find one that had the right voltage output to match the voltage input for the oil gauge.

Does anyone know the manufature of out gauges?

Thanks

Even though our gauges work at a wierd voltage, any sender works. I have a Mercruser sender in my engine. And like weinrdog says, don't overtighten it. Hand tight plus some, if it leaks, then some more. Put a bit of teflon tape neatly on the threads.

When you disconnected the wire at the #1 location, nothing should have happened because that switch is open during normal conditions. If you grounded that wire, then an alarm should sound at your dash.

Edited by electricjohn
Even though our gauges work at a wierd voltage, any sender works. I have a Mercruser sender in my engine. And like weinrdog says, don't overtighten it. Hand tight plus some, if it leaks, then some more. Put a bit of teflon tape neatly on the threads.

When you disconnected the wire at the #1 location, nothing should have happened because that switch is open during normal conditions. If you grounded that wire, then an alarm should sound at your dash.

Thanks Electric John, I ordered a new sender from the dealer and will have to wait for it to get here. I tried the local part stores but they only show a blade type connector on the top the the senders they had ...so I will have to wait. I wonder if the chevy dealership might have one in stock.

thanks guys for all the help!

Patrick

That was the problem I had too Patrick. Mercruser made the only one with that screw on the top of the bell.