Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge Question

Pulled the boat out and dewinterized last weekend. Been cleaning it up for tomorrow and noticed the bilge no longer works, automatically or by switch. It worked when I put it away for the winter. I also noticed it pops the little white breaker thing (technical term) underneath the switch if I turn on multiple switches at one time. Any thoughts on what is going on?

Pulled the boat out and dewinterized last weekend. Been cleaning it up for tomorrow and noticed the bilge no longer works, automatically or by switch. It worked when I put it away for the winter. I also noticed it pops the little white breaker thing (technical term) underneath the switch if I turn on multiple switches at one time. Any thoughts on what is going on?

there must be something stuck on the bilge pump, not allowing the motor to turn, and its putting a load on the circuit

I pulled it apart last night and there is nothing stuck in there. I tried turning it by hand and it seemed pretty stiff. Not sure what resistance it is supposed to have.

Just replace it.

Plus1.gif

Yeah, the bilge pump isn't something I'd fool around with. They're not that expensive and when you need, you NEED it!

I pulled it apart last night and there is nothing stuck in there. I tried turning it by hand and it seemed pretty stiff. Not sure what resistance it is supposed to have.

there should be very little resistance. the motor is fried. probably got left on, with no water on it, it overheated. now when you turn it on, it is putting a load on it. time to replace.

10-4, I will go buy one at lunch. It looks the wiring off it runs up under neath the boat. How big of a pain is it to replace. Mounting looks easy, wiring I am not so sure about.

Should be pretty easy to wire. The new one will have the same wires as the old one and will come with wiring instructions.

Just be sure to buy some water proof electrical connectors to use...they'll likely have them where you buy the pump.

Edited by rts

FYI for the connectors - The wiring will be 16 gauge & you'll need 3 connectors.

Mine from the factory just uses the heat-shrink waterproof butt connectors.

The float switch in my pump is gone, so I'm in the process of replacing mine too. Others have covered it, but the pump base is just screwed into the floor of the bilge. If you can't find the same pump, you may need to repair/caulk the existing holes before creating new ones.

FYI for the connectors - The wiring will be 16 gauge & you'll need 3 connectors.

Mine from the factory just uses the heat-shrink waterproof butt connectors.

The float switch in my pump is gone, so I'm in the process of replacing mine too. Others have covered it, but the pump base is just screwed into the floor of the bilge. If you can't find the same pump, you may need to repair/caulk the existing holes before creating new ones.

The waterproof connectors answers my question. Chasing those wires through the floor to get out of the wetness would be a serious pain. So I can just cut it right at the old pump and throw connectors on.

Supposed to hit 100 degrees in the Tri-Cities Friday. How about on the west side?

Edited by Squag Mon
Supposed to hit 100 degrees in the Tri-Cities Friday. How about on the west side?

The sun just came out here today. We are supposed to get up to 87 this weekend. Yahoo.gif