Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Too Close to the boat on the surf.

chrisallenhogs

I've got an 08 VLX with powerwedge. I have the right side tank filled, the center tank filled. Three people sitting in the front of the boat on the right side. 4 people on the right side of the boat and one person sitting on the right sundeck. The wave seems to get me right into the platform. Is there anyway to push that wave back or open it up more where I don't hit the platform so much? When I let go of the rope and find the groove I'm about 5 inches from the platform. Is this normal? Do I need more weight up front? I have a 500lb sac that I could throw up there.

yes you can increase your speed. go in half mile an hour incraments. also add some weight to the bow.

Plus1.gif

More weight in the bow will increase the length of your wave.

I have had 3 people up there that weigh about 450 lbs. Should I fill up the 500lb sac full up there as well?

Another thing you could try is putting the bag under your side seat and filling it as full as you can get it. It sounds like you've got a fairly healthy amount of bow weight already. More weight in general is going to make your wave rise and peak little farther back.

How much weight comes in the front ballast, I decided against it for the storage? Does it matter which side you put the weight in the bow?

i too was disappointed with my first attempts at making a surf wake on the new boat. It just takes more weight. we put a 750 in the bin, along with a 400 (v-drive sac) on top of it and filled enough that you can still close the lid. then added another 400 on the seat (right side back), fill the mls, partially fill the front wedge at about 10:00 position and have everybody on that side of the boat. It makes a great wake. we only use the smallest phase 5 board (icon) doesn't matter size of the guy. there is a ton of push. we are at 9.8 mph.

good luck and have fun.

Tell the person who's sitting on the sundeck to get into the boat. It's amazing how much that affects my boat's surf wake. My wake gets smaller when I get the people off of the sundeck, but it certainly gets longer and has a better shape. The boat runs better too. I don't know how, but even one person back there really throws off the angle of the prop.

And more weight up front. That helped our wake a lot too.

And don't be afraid to bump it up to 12-13 mph. It all depends on the boat, of course, but I find that our wake is best at about 12.5 or so. At that speed we can still ride the wave beyond the length of our surf rope. Also, the professional wakesurfers surf at 13 or so. Once again, it all depends on the boat.

IMO, I'd rather have a long, smaller wake than a super tall, really short wake.

Edited by sunscapeJeff