Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuse keeps tripping

Last night i through my boat in the water for the first this season and everything worked pretty well, except for just a few things.

I have a 2005 VLX with the 4 Tank MLS.

1. I noticed my rear left tank was not filling, and the light on my switch was not lit up so i looked at the fuses under the throttle and there was one that was tripped, so i pushed it back in hit my switch and the light lit up for about 5-10 seconds and it tripped again. Any ideas where to start as what might be going on.

2. The other thing i noticed was i don't think my bilge would work all the time. I opened up my midship compartment where the t-plug is at and your valves for you front and mid tanks and there was more water than usual. So when i got on plain my bilge was lit up so i knew there was som extra water in the boat but when i looked back it was not pumping anything out. Conitinued boarding the rest of the night though with no problems. After loaded and pulling up the ramp all of a sudden the auto bilge kicked in and started throwing water out like nuts though.

Any ideas guys?

1. Your left rear fill pump has debris in it or is on it's last leg.

2. How is the drip rate on the packing nut. If it's too fast or lose enough that it is streaming it will fill the bilge faster. When you get on plane you send all the water back to the bilge pump so it senses more water and turns on. Same with it being on the ramp, it all goes to the back and pumps out. It's normal to have some water the pump won't be able to move out. All this is normal bilge operation. You just need to find the water source and most of the time if it's not flooding or chili dipping, it's the packing nut, leaky ballast or even lots of people getting in and out wet and throwing wet life vests in the lockers.

The issue with the fuse and a pump is one that I have just had. The bow ballast wasn't working and the light for the switch not coming on. The fuse was tripped and when reset, the fill pump is not running. I'll be taking the boat by the dealer today to get the pump swapped out under warranty.

obski, after fuse was reset would the pump run for like 10-15 seconds before tripping again or would it just not work at all afterwards?

My left rear drain pump was not working after taking it out for the first time this season when I did my water test, I took it home pulled the floor, which is a PITA, and pulled the motor out of the casing spun it a few times and it works fine now. Some times they just get hung up after sitting so long. I will have to keep an eye on it if it acts up again I will replace it.

obski, after fuse was reset would the pump run for like 10-15 seconds before tripping again or would it just not work at all afterwards?

It didn't run at all. I took the boat by the dealer on the way to the river and it took them 5 minutes to swap the pump out for a new one. It worked just fine out on the water today. Apparently the top of the pump was damaged/defective and water eventually got into the wiring of it.

The water was great by the way. 73F air temp and 58F water temp, glass and not another boat in sight. Finally went to the neo top and was fine.

This exact same situation happened to mine. Driver side rear pump bit the dust over the winter. Cry.gif Your dealer should have a replacement for it. If you do it yourself, the boat will be blessed cause its a PITA.

This exact same situation happened to mine. Driver side rear pump bit the dust over the winter. Cry.gif Your dealer should have a replacement for it. If you do it yourself, the boat will be blessed cause its a PITA.

They said at the dealer that the fill pumps were easy to get at, while the drain pumps were much more difficult. It really only took them 5 minutes to swap out the pump for the bow fill.

They said at the dealer that the fill pumps were easy to get at, while the drain pumps were much more difficult. It really only took them 5 minutes to swap out the pump for the bow fill.

I had the exact same problem Saturday. Drain pump on center tank had grit and a small piece of trash in the impeller. After cleaning, it now works fine. I am glad it was the center tank, because the pump was in the mid ship compartment. Then I started looking for the drain pumps on the left, right and front tanks for future reference, I gave up. That will be a dealer fix while still under warranty. Although it would be nice to know how to access those three pumps.

Thanks for the replies guys, yes it is my fill pump so hopefully it won't be too bad to get to. I plan on pulling my boat out this weekend to take a look at it, but last night i ran over to my storage unit just cause i was curious to see if the pump was working at all. So i flipped the switch and it was just a low pitched slow moving sound and then when i would flip one of the other switches it would be the normal higher pitched noise coming off the pump, so the pump is working and i am crossing my fingers i just have a clog somewhere.

I had the exact same problem Saturday. Drain pump on center tank had grit and a small piece of trash in the impeller. After cleaning, it now works fine. I am glad it was the center tank, because the pump was in the mid ship compartment. Then I started looking for the drain pumps on the left, right and front tanks for future reference, I gave up. That will be a dealer fix while still under warranty. Although it would be nice to know how to access those three pumps.

The front drain pump is behind the wall in the passage way to the bow, Remove two screws and pull the carpeted wall up and out. The two rear pumps are under the floor in the back corner of the boat V-drive compartments. You have to remove the wall seperating the compartments from the tranny opening and then remove the row of screws on the floor and then lift up and slide forward about 12". The hardest part is locating the hidden screw inside the carpet but if your patient they can be found. On the floor their is only a row of screws closet to the engine none on the outside or hull of the boat, that side is just resting on the hull of the boat and the tanks.

The front drain pump is behind the wall in the passage way to the bow, Remove two screws and pull the carpeted wall up and out. The two rear pumps are under the floor in the back corner of the boat V-drive compartments. You have to remove the wall seperating the compartments from the tranny opening and then remove the row of screws on the floor and then lift up and slide forward about 12". The hardest part is locating the hidden screw inside the carpet but if your patient they can be found. On the floor their is only a row of screws closet to the engine none on the outside or hull of the boat, that side is just resting on the hull of the boat and the tanks.

WOW! Great information thank you for your time. This may save me from having an aneurysm some day! Yahoo.gif

Sorry for not making my response clear, but the driver rear drain pump went out. This wasn't a five minute repair that I hoped for. We went to the local discount super center (Wally World) and picked up a Tsunami 800. An hour later, the new one was screwed in. I mailed the old pump off under warrenty, so now I've got a back up! Yahoo.gif