Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to treat jet skiers

NvBoarder

So this is a buddy of mine here in Nevada, apparently a jet skier got in his way and he well..... you'll see.

I don't care for jet skis, but if someone did that to me, he'd answer for it. Guns.gif

That kind of attitude is what gives wakeboarders a bad name.

While I don't like jet-skis tearing up butter/glass, I recognize they have as much right to be on public water as I do.

I saw 2 people 'in the wrong' in that video.

1) The boat driver - shouldn't be that close to a stopped boat while moving above wake speed & had plenty of time to adjust course.

2) The boarder - it would have left a mark if his ollie was a little short.

I've seen the aftermath of skiing into a parked boat/jet-ski - it's not pretty and quite expensive.

It almost looks like it was staged in that the jet-ski operator was tucked in behind & protected by the jet-ski.

While I don't like jet-skis tearing up butter/glass, I recognize they have as much right to be on public water as I do.

Yes.gif

Ranting.gifMad.gifMad.gifRanting.gif

Sea-Doo/JetSki/Waverunner = Friggin' Fat, Lethargic, Underage people can have fun on the water too!!

Every Sunday in the summer, there is a "brigade" of Sea-Doos that drive the whole length of our lake, increasing in size as the progress through the glass at 6am just as we step onto the swim platform...or even better yet. a Bass Tournament and here comes 10-15 250HP 100 MPH friggin' bass boats, screaming up the lake.

Man this topic got me fired up.

I saw 2 people 'in the wrong' in that video.

1) The boat driver - shouldn't be that close to a stopped boat while moving above wake speed & had plenty of time to adjust course.

2) The boarder - it would have left a mark if his ollie was a little short.

I've seen the aftermath of skiing into a parked boat/jet-ski - it's not pretty and quite expensive.

It almost looks like it was staged in that the jet-ski operator was tucked in behind & protected by the jet-ski.

Plus1.gif

I have been tempted to take a paintball gun out with me to get the jetskiers. But with my luck I would hit them in the eye.

A few years ago some friends and I were wakeboarding on the texas coast. When we were idle picking up a downed skier this kid would come full throttle almost straight at our boat and turn at the last minute to spray us. I'm thinking to myself "Holy Shnikeys". Anyhow, we yelled at him to keep away from us. Well, 10 minutes later here he comes again straight at us while we were idle. So I look around for anything I can see (that is not too big) to chunk at the little bas%$& if he does it again. I pick up one of the old hard square plastic bottles of sunscreen..Ha. Sure enough he comes at us again, right when he made his turn to spray, I threw and nailed his @ss right in the side, just under his life vest. He got the point and left us alone after that. Some people have no common sense. He could have easily rammed us or run over one of us in the water.

I'll be the first to concede that there are some REAL morons out there on Jet Skis. But don't lump all of us into one big demonstrable group- some of us are skiers-too. Anyone in my family or who rides our Sea-Doo knows or is told to STAY AWAY from any boat that is towing, and fisherman. There's plenty of lake out there for everyone.

Further, as a PWC owner/rider, I do my best to try and educate other riders when they do something colossally stupid. I either follow them to their docking point, or (if I know) I go back to the dock ahead of them and tell the owner of the machine/parents of the rider what is going on and how it should change. Of course, this isn't a great idea if you have a short temper.

Granted, some meathead running head-on and spraying my boat repeatedly is as likely to get hit with a hunk of lead as he is to get hit with a bottle of sunscreen.

I would say that most, if not all, of the people on this board have had experiences with those things that are negative. Not to say we all haven’t come across the dumb boat owner as well but for the most part it all come up to inexperience\overall stupidity. Like it has been stated before, they have every right to the lake as we do, I just wish you had to take boaters safety class in order to operate one.

And that was a great ollie.

Let me add it wasn't my boat, and I was not with them at the time. The thought crossed my mind that if he didn't clear the ski it could of been ugly. But it's still fun to watch. Thumbup.gif

I recognize the lake, hope it fills up this year. While that could have turned out bad, it was a nice jump over the jet ski.

That video made me think of an incident a few years ago when we were down in the Delta. We were stopped and had a rider out in the water getting ready when a boat pulling a foiler came up behind us. The boat came very close to us and our rider in the water, then the idiot foiler came even closer to us and our rider, doing a flip over the person in the water. He was obviously very good, but one small slip and it would have turned out very badly for the person in the water and probably for us in the boat as well. I was not impressed. I still get angry thinking about it. What an idiot. I'm sure he thought he was pretty funny and cool. He wasn't.

I recognize the lake, hope it fills up this year. While that could have turned out bad, it was a nice jump over the jet ski.

From what I have been told the lake is currently closed for boat traffic, it is only 8' deep in the middle of the lake. I don't see it coming up this year and possibly next year too. Not until they get the irrigation ditch in Fernley figured out.

Isn't Stewart bringing his PWC to the Memorial Day Bash? Whistling.gif

Just kidding Stewart...

That video is crazy. People just need to play fair when they are on the water, there is plenty of room for everybody.

Guest J-Ro

Come on, we don't know the story. For all we know that guy just buzzed the bow and fell down and everyone hear would have done the same thing. Well maybe they would have sprayed them as I doubt everyone can ollie that well.

Just kidding Stewart...

That video is crazy. People just need to play fair when they are on the water, there is plenty of room for everybody.

I wouldn't do something like that to Stewart, he would chase you down and it would end very badly. Argue.gifBash.gif

Just kidding Stewart...

I wouldn't do something like that to Stewart, he would chase you down and it would end very badly. Argue.gifBash.gif

Isn't that the truth!

Cheers.gif

Wakeboard boat 1, seadoo 0. I was out on Shuswap lake doing a little surfing with a bunch of friends. We were way out in the middle of the lake away from everything. Then this guy shows up on a seadoo and starts jumping the waves out past the main surf wave. He circled around and did it a few times, each time faster. On his last jump the seadoo went strate up in the air with the bow really high. It landed stern first slapping the bow into the water, in turn pitching the pilot over the bars. He first smashed his face into the hood before landing in the water and getting ran over by the still moving seadoo. We swung around to make sure he was alive. Just as we pulled up he was struggling to climb back on the seadoo. We asked him if he needed any help. With his smashed in bloody face he said, "dont worrie about me, I do this all the time" then he speed off. What a tough guy. Idiot.