Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

91 Sunsetter

surg

I just bought a 91 Sunsetter with about 300 hours on it and I was wantin to get some info. Any upgrades? It has a 5.7 Carburated Mercruiser. I think I need to replace the blower bc I cant hear it. I am replacing plugs wires oil fuel filter etc. Need some advice. I am new to ski boats. Hull is in great shape. got it for 8 K hope that was a good deal. My boss what can u say.

Opinions are welcome

Welcome.gif Welcome to the crew!! I've had my boat for 2-1/2 yrs now and always come here first to get answers to any questions. There is a huge wealth of knowledge on this site.

You may also consider the electronic ignition conversion if it hasn't already been done. Another thing to change would be the impeller, unless you know for sure that the previous owner changed it within the last year.

Post some pics of your boat and let us know how we can help you spend your money. Cheers.gif

Jamie

YES! Change the impeller. The previous owner said mine was good to go. First time out, didn't even get out of the ramp 5 mph zone and the impeller let go. Engine overheated and blew a head gasket. I then decided to perform an engine rebuild.

Maybe some gas additive to clean out any gunk from the off season in the carb. Maybe a fuel filter as well. Check the trans fluid. Is it clean? Of course the oil also.

Welcome to the site! Thumbup.gif

I just thought of some thing. If yours is like mine was, you should have two valve cover vents tubes that go up to the spark arrestor. You may consider putting a PCV valve in the right rear grommet and modify the carb spacer with a fitting to connect the PCV valve to. I did it to mine and I no longer get all that oily film and smell under the cover.

Just a thought.

I just thought of some thing. If yours is like mine was, you should have two valve cover vents tubes that go up to the spark arrestor. You may consider putting a PCV valve in the right rear grommet and modify the carb spacer with a fitting to connect the PCV valve to. I did it to mine and I no longer get all that oily film and smell under the cover.

Just a thought.

Is this mod common? Does the oily residue ust mix in with the fuel/air mix in the carb? If so, will this hamper the performance? I would like to see a pic of the arrestor where the fitting is...if possible. Thanks Jason.