Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Stickers

The Hydro Foiling Plumber

It's official today is my one month aniversary with my new (to me) BU Clap.gif . I bought a 97' Sunsetter LX and I love it.

I would like to know the best way to remove the old registration and TX numbers (as far as getting the old adhesive off without damaging the paint)

It's official today is my one month aniversary with my new (to me) BU Clap.gif . I bought a 97' Sunsetter LX and I love it.

I would like to know the best way to remove the old registration and TX numbers (as far as getting the old adhesive off without damaging the paint)

I used goo gone with wood and plastic scrapers...gentle and slow no problems. WD 40 works well too.

Edited by Pondking

Thanks for the tip, also on the back of the boat you can see where the original "Official US Open Towboat" sticker was; I have ordered the original sticker from my local Malibu Dealer ($10.00 + s&h) anyways the dealer told me to wet sand and polishing before putting the new sticker on since the gelcoat is faded around were the old sticker was... what are the specific steps for this process.

Hydro plumber,

I just replaced my registration stickers last weekend. I used goo gone to get the old glue off the gelcoat. It takes a while and some elbow grease to get it off, but using some kind of scraper be it plastic or not didnt sound like a good idea, since i just spent two weekends buffing and waxing the entire boat.

If you havent already bought registration stickers, consider the ones i purchased. See this thread with pics of my boat and where to get them. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=14641&hl=

Jamie

By the way congrats on your "new to you" Bu. I have been very happy with my boat the last 2-1/2 yrs.

Post some pics of your boat.

the easiest way to get stickers of is to use either a hair dryer or a heat gun. the stickers peal right off with little effort. then use goo gone or equivalent to remove residual goo.

the easiest way to get stickers of is to use either a hair dryer or a heat gun. the stickers peal right off with little effort. then use goo gone or equivalent to remove residual goo.

Plus1.gif

I used hair dryer to easily peel off the stickers. I then wet one side with goo-gone, let sit for 5 min and wiped with rag. The other side I used comercial grade wax and grease remover...this stuff works best but is exspensive.

Hydro plumber,

I just replaced my registration stickers last weekend. I used goo gone to get the old glue off the gelcoat. It takes a while and some elbow grease to get it off, but using some kind of scraper be it plastic or not didnt sound like a good idea, since i just spent two weekends buffing and waxing the entire boat.

If you havent already bought registration stickers, consider the ones i purchased. See this thread with pics of my boat and where to get them. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=14641&hl=

Jamie

Thanks for the tip; the stickers look really good on the boat.

By the way congrats on your "new to you" Bu. I have been very happy with my boat the last 2-1/2 yrs.

Post some pics of your boat.

Thanks! I will take some pictures this weekend and get them posted.