Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loose Prop

Hey guys need your help again....

Installed a rebuilt OJ Legend prop on my 93 Sunsetter Resto project and when I tighten the nut on the shaft, there is a little "play in the prop, and some thrust".

Had to have the old prop cut off because it had been damaged (I imagine it hit something in the water). The woodruff key had been spun on the shaft.

The shaft was checked and not found to be out of alignment nor were the threads damaged. The new Woodruff key fit snugly inth the keyway on the shaft and the prop slid easily over the key.

When I tightened the nut as far as I could, the prop had a little "play" directionally as it would be in rotation and a little thrust towards the nut. Is there a spacer or bearing/weasher that is to be installed between the nut and the prop like on outboard/sterndrive applications?

Thanks,

Ken Grutza

The prop had to be cut off and the shaft was still ok?

Either way any change your shaft is 1" and not 1.125"? The newer boats all have 1.125" shafts but the older ones had 1" IIRC. A larger hub on the prop will give you that play on the shaft and also cause the prop to go too far up the taper.

Only thing I can think of.

-Chris

I spoke with Malibu and took a mic to my shaft it is definitely 1-1/8".

The keyway is something I have considered, the one that came with my prop removal tool actually fit nicely into the keyway on the shaft, it was quite snug.

The 'new repaired prop" I intalled on the boat was not the one that came with the boat. I purchased it off e-bay from a reputable shop(or so I thought?)

The prop had to be cut off and the shaft was still ok?

Either way any change your shaft is 1" and not 1.125"? The newer boats all have 1.125" shafts but the older ones had 1" IIRC. A larger hub on the prop will give you that play on the shaft and also cause the prop to go too far up the taper.

Only thing I can think of.

-Chris

I installed a washer behind my nylock nut just so that the nut wasn't rubbing up against the stampings on the hub of the prop. If all you think you need is a thick washer there to suck up a little play, do it.

Edited by Pistol Pete

quote: "the prop had a little "play" directionally as it would be in rotation "

Are you saying you can rotate the prop a bit without it moving the shaft?

It shouldn't have any play in the rotation. or in forward/back motion.

Is there any stamping on the new prop? Did you keep the old cut up prop? Was it stamped?

Doesn't sound like your prop is seating on the taper of the shaft, something is not right. Are you sure you got the prop slid back as far as you could onto the shaft? the prop might be binding on the keyway too early if the keyway is the wrong size?