Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

changing oil for first time myself

So I put the boat on the water a couple weeks ago, only forgot one thing. Usually run her by a local place to get the oil changed. I do a little work for the guys that own the shop and they do little stuff in exchange, but they have stayed out of trouble, so completely off my radar.

Anyhow - time to do it myself. I know it has a drain line that is clipped to the top of the engine, but what is the method and procedure for changing the oil?

What oil filter do I need, and can I get one at NAPA? Also - what oil is recommended?

I don't know about what filter would go with your boat? However, I would suggest a pump that "vacuums" out the oil. I normally would do my oil with the boat on the trailer. I just purchased a "SuckUp Vacuum" through skidim.com. I think I will use this in the future, you can change the oil without ever taking the boat out of the water. Warm up the boat and the vacuum out the oil into the container and it is already into a nice container to dispose of it. When I change my filter I have a couple of plastic shopping bags in the boat and I place the bags (double bag for security) under the filters to catch any oil that remains in the filter. I would also suggest placing a drop cloth or similar on the floor in case of drippage.

Vacuum Pump

P.S. The pump also works great with the tranny.

You need straight 40 weight motor oil - Pennzoil marine is OEM (holds 5 quarts but it's hard to get all the old oil out of the hammerhead oil pan) so put 4 and 1/2 in and check it from there.

OEM oil filter is a PZ3, just don't replace it with a fram (by far the worst filter i've seen, we had a rep cut a bunch in half and show us how they were built)

We have everything you need in stock so if you have a hard timing finding the right product you can get it off our site www.bakesonline.com and i can ship it to you no problem.

Wasn't it in 06 that Indmar recommended going to straight 50 wt. motor oil?

trains, I use the Napa gold 1069 filter. As for the oil, make sure it meets or exceeds service recommendations. Diesel-rated usually does the trick.

I use the Napa gold 1069 as well. I just unroll the garden hose, usually wrapped around the engine mount, and out the drain plug. Get the engine up to operating temperature then drain. I've found that if I let the oil drain for a couple days the oil filter doesn't leak when I remove it. I use a 2-liter bottle cut in half under the filter just in case and line the bilge to soak up anything. People run both the straight 40w and 50w oils, it seems if 40w works than keep that. If the alarm goes off then move up to the 50w for some it's worked to eliminate the low pressure alarm.

As long as you are going to NAPA, they sell a little pump that hooks up to a cordless drill and pumps the oil out the dipstick. Used a friend's on the houseboat and it worked well.

As long as you are going to NAPA, they sell a little pump that hooks up to a cordless drill and pumps the oil out the dipstick. Used a friend's on the houseboat and it worked well.

I have a pump that screwed onto the dipstick in my Merc 350 in my old boat. Will it fit these? The Merc did not have the drain hose from the bottom.

Do you guys run synthetic? I use synthetic in everything else, even the diesel truck I had.

I have a pump that screwed onto the dipstick in my Merc 350 in my old boat. Will it fit these? The Merc did not have the drain hose from the bottom.

Do you guys run synthetic? I use synthetic in everything else, even the diesel truck I had.

My Volvo Pentta (houseboat motor) has the fitting as well but the little pump I used just slid down the dipstick tube.

My Volvo Pentta (houseboat motor) has the fitting as well but the little pump I used just slid down the dipstick tube.

I talked with Jim Stewart at Indmar today and they do not recommend using synthetic oil. I have the 5.7L monsoon on my 1998 Malibu Response. I am using 20W-50. I think the latest recommendation was 15W-40 by Jim. Their number is (901) 353-9930.

Wood

I talked with Jim Stewart at Indmar today and they do not recommend using synthetic oil. I have the 5.7L monsoon on my 1998 Malibu Response. I am using 20W-50. I think the latest recommendation was 15W-40 by Jim. Their number is (901) 353-9930.

Wood

Im running Delo 400 15w-40 in my hammerhead 383. No low pressure alarms.....yet