Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME 13x12 vs. OJ XMP 13x12

I spoke with Oz briefly last night about his test numbers.

This is the OJ XMP 13x12.

There were 4 people in the boat.

Al 170, dave 205, Oz 190, and kyle 95

Glass water - minimal wind

WOT:

n to s no skier 45.8 4750 rpm

s to n 46 mph at 4800

w to e 46.3 @ 4800

e to w 47.5 @4750 (*** This is the fastest top end of any of the props)

Footer in tow:

Oz LL barefoot first run wot 43.9 4600 n to s

n to s Oz LL 44.8 wot 4800

Martho's commentary, not Oz's:

It appears the OJ XMP needs more HP to turn it to its full potential. When I purchased this prop, I was told that I am in a range between the 11.5 and the 12. I was told the 11.5 would bang the limiter, and the 12 could not be turned to the limiter.

Where the OJ took the biggest hit was with a footer LL. It appears this prop is 1-2MPH slower at top end (on Oz's boat) due to the pull of the skier. Now, Edwin was able to gain top end on his SLXi with this exact same prop.

If you look at all of Oz's numbers, the OJ is only tenths of a MPH slower, but is turning 200-450 less times than the ACME. This leads me to believe the OJ has a better bite than the ACME and it is going to take a strong engine to turn the 12 if you are wanting top end.

Edited by martho
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martho

• doughickey

• Wkerat

• mlange

Update:

Oz has a typo in his quick note last night.

Here are the "official" numbers from yesterday

Sunday, April 17th.

4 people in the boat, Dave 205#, Oz 190#, Al 170# and Kyle 95#

No skier, wot North/South 45.9 @ 4750

No skier, wot South/North 46.1 @ 4800

No skier, wot West/East 46.3 @ 4800

No skier, wot East/West 45.5 @ 4750

Oz LL barefoot, wot South/North 44 @ 4600

Oz LL barefoot, wot North/South 43.9 @ 4400

Oz LL barefoot, wot South/North 44 @ 4800

Oz LL barefoot, wot North/South 44.8 @ 4800

Notes:

The wind was not a factor.

The North/South stretch was glass.

Full tank of gas.

All speeds were taken with a GPS.

The OJ took a long time to get up to top speed.

Oz's last comment would make me think the 13x11.5 would be a better route to go if you have the 320 or 325 Monsoon and anything bigger than a Sportster.

Agreed?

Mike

I am going to defer to Edwin, if he so chooses, to chime in on this thread.

I think he has tested them all and has a better feel.

Edited by martho
Oz's last comment would make me think the 13x11.5 would be a better route to go if you have the 320 or 325 Monsoon and anything bigger than a Sportster. 

Agreed?

Mike

Mike - I talked with Eric Johnson at length regarding the best XMP model for the SLXi. Basically, he said I could go with either the 13x11.5 or 13x12. Pros of the 11.5 would be just touch faster out of the hole but would spin more rpms for 'roughly' the same top speed. The 13x12 would be very close out of the hole (compared to the 11.5) but would spin fewer rpms for the same or slightly faster top end.

I've used my boat 15 times now with the XMP, it's holeshot appears to be the same as the ACME 13x11.5, holds speed a bit better at wakeboard speeds, seems similar in speed holding at slalom speeds, and is approx 2-2.5 mph faster on top end than the ACME 13x11.5. Most noticeable is the difference in rpms at speed...when pulling a barefooter long line at 40mph, the ACME 13x11.5 needed almost 4500 rpms, the XMP 13x12 needs just 4000 rpms.

I'm very pleased with the 13x12 XMP on my SLXi. To add to Oz's test, there's a good chance I'll be testing a 13x12 ACME on my boat this weekend.

Edwin,

Thanks for the response. The fact that I foot a lot makes me lean towards the 13x12, but the fact that I've got the non-diamond hull (less efficient) and would love to be able to pull someones arms out if I wanted makes me want the 13x11.5.

In the end I'm guessing either one would blow me away after living with the crappy CVP SS prop for the last few years.

Thanks again,

Mike

So I'm thinking an OJ XMP 13x11.5 might give me similar or higher MPH at WOT as the ACME 13x12.And with similar or better holeshot and midrange holding power against a skier. Downside would be (possibly?) a few higher revs at ski speed?

Yea, both are good props, we are talking intricicies that many would not notice.

I agree both are good props, however many people would notice the difference. I like to one foot at 45mph. If Oz's boat would only run 43.8 WOT with a specific prop, I surely would not have that prop on my boat. Everyone has a specific purpose for their boat setup. Wakeboard speed vs course slalom speed vs footing speed are 3 totally different ballgames. It would be very difficult to say most people wont notice 500 extra RPM's at WOT.

Yea, both are good props, we are talking intricicies that many would not notice.

I agree both are good props, however many people would notice the difference. I like to one foot at 45mph. If Oz's boat would only run 43.8 WOT with a specific prop, I surely would not have that prop on my boat. Everyone has a specific purpose for their boat setup. Wakeboard speed vs course slalom speed vs footing speed are 3 totally different ballgames. It would be very difficult to say most people wont notice 500 extra RPM's at WOT.

Yup. I notice 25 RPM difference at WOT on any given day based on the weather. Which is why I am so interested in the results you guys get. Keep posting it, please.

To martho and edwin et al: This is great stuff.

I think I've just about concluded I want the OJ XMP 13" X 12" for 1998 RLX (310 carb) for skiing. (not boarding).

I spoke with Max at Skier to Skier.... he suggests the 13" X 11.5". However, I don't do deep shortline, and would prefer to keep my revs a bit lower.

Two questions:

1/ You mention Eric Johnson. I assume he is an OJ guy. I'd like to have a conversation with an OJ person to run through my same questions. Do you have a contact number for him (or OJ)?

2/ Where can I get the best pricing on an OJ XMP? Is it Skier-to-Skier, or should I be trying Overton's, Wakeside, OJ direct, other?

Thanks guys. Your tests and dialogue is incredibly helpful. (Also helping me decide to lighten my wallet again.)

Mike - I talked with Eric Johnson at length regarding the best XMP model for the SLXi.  Basically, he said I could go with either the 13x11.5 or 13x12.  Pros of the 11.5 would be just touch faster out of the hole but would spin more rpms for 'roughly' the same top speed.  The 13x12 would be very close out of the hole (compared to the 11.5) but would spin fewer rpms for the same or slightly faster top end. 

I've used my boat 15 times now with the XMP, it's holeshot appears to be the same as the ACME 13x11.5, holds speed a bit better at wakeboard speeds, seems similar in speed holding at slalom speeds, and is approx 2-2.5 mph faster on top end than the ACME 13x11.5.  Most noticeable is the difference in rpms at speed...when pulling a barefooter long line at 40mph, the ACME 13x11.5 needed almost 4500 rpms, the XMP 13x12 needs just 4000 rpms. 

I'm very pleased with the 13x12 XMP on my SLXi.  To add to Oz's test, there's a good chance I'll be testing a 13x12 ACME on my boat this weekend.

Edwin,

Does your SLXi have the Monsoon? I'm trying to gauge from your experience which to go with for our '00 SLXi w/Monsoon (325 HP?). We're probably more likely to add MLS and build the wakeboard side a bit than to barefoot, but I'm thinking the 13x12 sounds like an outstanding overall prop.

Thanks,

Mike

For those of you waffling between the 11.5 and the 12, I went back and forth with Max a couple of times. The following was our thread - start from the bottom.

Hi Mike,

Lets see. First -- the XMP is sooooo much more efficient than your old 13 x 13. A 13 x 11.5 would be the same as an old 13 x 13 OJ Legend. If you got the 13x12 that would be like the old 13 x 14 OJ Legend.

Gas mileage is not a big deal with a smaller prop. I have my MC Prostar 197 propped way down so it is turning 3900 rpm at 36 mph. This puts it in maximum torque at ski speeds. I get better mileage than with the stock prop and skiers gained about 2 balls due to the matching of engine to ski speed. I figure the PerfectPass does not have to work as hard and thus get better mileage.

Again, I think you can probably go either way. Really is your choice.

Hope this info helps. Got a quarter if you want to flip for it :-)

Max

Max Strother

304 Monticello Drive

Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 6:05 PM

To: Max Strother

Subject: RE: OJ XMP Prop Question

Max,

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm just running the crappy stock CVP 13x13 SS right now. I foot between 38-42 (not real fast) so I'n not too concerned about top end. I unfortunately don't know what my RPM is at right now when running WOT and the boat's still in storage. I can say that I've never hit the rev limiter, though. I'm hitting 47-48 mph on the GPS at WOT right now.

My biggest concern about going with the 13x11.5 is gas consumption vs. where I'm at right now.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 5:01 PM

To: Lange, Michael

Subject: RE: OJ XMP Prop Question

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note. First, I would go with the OJ. It simply blows away the Acme. In our tests, skiers and riders have picked OJ over all others time and time again. When we test, we do it all from behind the boat -- not from the driver's seat.

I am decidedly on the fence on the 11.5 or 12. For slalom or jump -- I would go to the 11.5 in a heart beat. It will give you so much better a pull at slalom speed. The B-foot is the trick. 325 horse power is borderline to bump up to the 12.

What prop are you running now and what is your RPM at wide open B-foot speed?

Thanks

Max

Max Strother

304 Monticello Drive

Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 5:50 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: OJ XMP Prop Question

Max,

I was all set to order an XMP 13x12 prop from you guys today until I saw a thread on MalibuCrew.com that you had suggested to someone to go with the 13x11.5 instead.

Since I was already debating the ACME vs. OJ XMP thing before, this extra little variable is playing games with my mind now. :)

Anyway, I'm hoping you can provide a suggestion on what I should go with and explain why that's the best route.

I currently have a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter (non-diamond hull) with the 325 Monsoon and slalom/barefoot about 50/50. I usually have around 5 people out on the boat, but never wakeboard and very rarily slalom in the course (mostly open water).

I would really appreciate any insight you can give me.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike - I talked with Eric Johnson at length regarding the best XMP model for the SLXi.  Basically, he said I could go with either the 13x11.5 or 13x12.  Pros of the 11.5 would be just touch faster out of the hole but would spin more rpms for 'roughly' the same top speed.  The 13x12 would be very close out of the hole (compared to the 11.5) but would spin fewer rpms for the same or slightly faster top end. 

I've used my boat 15 times now with the XMP, it's holeshot appears to be the same as the ACME 13x11.5, holds speed a bit better at wakeboard speeds, seems similar in speed holding at slalom speeds, and is approx 2-2.5 mph faster on top end than the ACME 13x11.5.  Most noticeable is the difference in rpms at speed...when pulling a barefooter long line at 40mph, the ACME 13x11.5 needed almost 4500 rpms, the XMP 13x12 needs just 4000 rpms. 

I'm very pleased with the 13x12 XMP on my SLXi.  To add to Oz's test, there's a good chance I'll be testing a 13x12 ACME on my boat this weekend.

Edwin,

Does your SLXi have the Monsoon? I'm trying to gauge from your experience which to go with for our '00 SLXi w/Monsoon (325 HP?). We're probably more likely to add MLS and build the wakeboard side a bit than to barefoot, but I'm thinking the 13x12 sounds like an outstanding overall prop.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike - I have the 325 Monsoon in my 2001 SLXi.

Doug - Eric Johnson is a Johnson, as in OJ Johnson Propellers. Believe he's been around the family business since he was knee high to a grass hopper.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the 13x11.5 after Max said it should be the same as the stock 13x13 CVP, assuming I'll still have the same top end, which was around 48 on the GPS. If I can't get 47 out of it now I'm going to be looking for someone with the 13x12 to trade with.

Mike

I ended up pulling the trigger on the 13x11.5 after Max said it should be the same as the stock 13x13 CVP, assuming I'll still have the same top end, which was around 48 on the GPS.  If I can't get 47 out of it now I'm going to be looking for someone with the 13x12 to trade with.

Mike

Mike, I may now wait for your tests before I order mine. I was going to go for the 13" X 12" for my 1998 RLX (310 carb). Like you, I'm running the 13X13 CVP, and on a good day get 48.5-49 mph at 5000 rpm (using GPS). Although I've got less hp, I have a lighter hull.

Thanks for posting.