Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME 13x12 vs. OJ XMP 13x12

Overall, the Response is a lot more boat than the Sporty ever was. The fit/finish is really nice and the boat has many options(sporty was basic) that make cold weather skiing pleasant. The air was 38F and the MMC said the water was 43F. Keep that in mind when you read the following:

The OJ 13x12 XMP 3 blade was tested today. I did not put the SS back on, I just kept some comparisons in mind. Also, this was done on a river with a 1.3MPH current according to the GPS. I was able to find a fixed point and get the boat stopped and then get it out in the current and out of any wind. I am very confident in my 1.3MPH current reading. I tested for about 45 minutes before PSscott190 and M3Fan showed up to ski.

1. The hole shot picked up tremendously. It is nowhere near the sporty hole shot, however it has really improved. With the SS, the RLX almost felt like an I/O where it pushed a second or two before it got on top. The OJ has resolved that problem and now the RLX acts like a true inboard.

2. I was able to keep it pretty much 1mph to 100RPMs in the 18 - 40mph band. The GPS gave a nice consistent reading and I often used PP at random intervals/speeds to see if I could keep the boat at 3800 RPMs and keep 38 MPH. I was able to keep within .3 MPH most of the time. With the 28 30 32 34.2 setting on PP, it was easy to test these things.

3. Top end. I was out 2 weeks ago, air 65F, water 44F and was only able to spin the SS 4850 and 46MPH. Today, I was able to spin 5050 and 47.8MPH. I tried both up river and down river. Down river was 48.5 and up river was 47.2mph. I had some wind at the time and it was directly in my face during the up river run. As soon as the lakes become water and not ice, I will get some readings on stationary water. With the current and the wind, I do not feel I got an exact reading, but enough to get a decent feel.

4. Acceleration 20 - 40mph. With the SS, the boat just lacked get up and go once you were under way. It felt like it took a minute for the prop to grab and then you would go. With the OJ, there was instant response and you could feel the acceleration. FYI: at 25mph, I could hammer the sporty and slide people out of the obs seat from the acceleration. I cant do that with this boat, but it is much closer to this possibility with the OJ than it was with the SS.

5. Smoothness: The OJ was super smooth like most CNC props are. It was really nice to feel that smooth ride again.

6. Conclusion. The OJ was a big step up from the SS. BarefootOzz has an ACME 13x12 and we are going to test it in the next couple weeks on my boat and report back.

I know the 1.3MPH current and the 48.5 and 47.2 dont add up correctly, however I am just reporting what the GPS showed.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martho

• doughickey

• Wkerat

• mlange

I am going to cut/paste from the thread on TMC.

edwin

TT Newbie Join Date: Aug 2004

While not completely relevant to your MC's, I put an OJ XMP 13x12" on my 2001 Malibu Sunsetter LXi this year. This is the 7th prop I've had on the boat...this is the best prop to date. In short - here's the list (34 mph skiing, 28' off, some wakeboard, some barefooting):

OJ 13x14 4 blade nibral from factory. Performed decent, somewhat soft holeshot when heavily loaded. Needed a spare, why not get one with more holeshot

ACME 13x12.625 3 blade - awful holeshot, terrible speed holding capability - sent back to ACME

ACME 13x12.5 4 blade - better, but still not up to the stock OJ - sent back to ACME

(ACME has since added more cup to it's props to help this)

OJ 13x13 4 blade stainless - much better all around prop than the 13x14 - better holeshot, better speed holding, nearly identical fuel burn, top speed down from 44.9 to 44.3.

OJ 13x12 4 blade - took stock prop and had it reworked into a 13x12 for better holeshot. Great out of the hole, spun lots of rpms at all speeds, burned lots of gas, 43.5 top speed.

ACME 13x11.5 3 blade - bought used to try - good holeshot, decent speed holding at skiing speeds, not so good at holding speed on the wakeboard, 44 mph top end

OJ 13x12 XMP - second best holeshot (13x12 4 blade was a touch quicker), great speed holding on ski and wakeboard, best top end of 45.7, smooth as can be.

I've had the boat out 9 times so far this year with the XMP, couldn't be happier. I still have the 13x13 OJ 4blade stainless for a spare.

Let's clear the air here: I had M3Fan and BarefootOzz with me today. We got home at 1:30pm and I had a 20 minute drive to the outlaws for 2pm Easter dinner. I needed to shower, to remove the river funk off of me, then get out of here. I had just enough time to start typing and then I had to go. So, now that I have additional time, here are the ACME results.

Hole Shot:

There was no noticeable difference in the hole shot. If I was forced to pick one prop over the other, I do not think I could do it as they were very equal.

Mid level:

Very similar characteristics to the OJ. I was able to keep 1:1 at several different speeds. This also included while M3Fan was on a slalom at 28mph. The perfect pass was on and the GPS had 27.9mph and I was turning 2850.

Smoothness:

Both the ACME and OJ were smooth. No noticeable difference between props. Both days the water conditions were excellent. There was no wind ripple to bounce the boat and give a false sense of vibration while either prop was on the boat.

WOT:

As soon as we launched and everything warmed up, I dropped the hammer and went south on the river(the same way as the current) and was able to turn 5200 and run 47.5MPH. This was 150 RPM's more than the OJ but not as fast as the OJ as in the same spot I had a 48.5MPH down river run last weekend.

We skied for about 1 hour and then played again. I was unable to ever get the boat to spin 5200 again and only one time saw 5K. The up river and down river speeds were almost the same between 46.1 - 46.3 regardless of up current or down current after 1 hour of skiing. The river current was 1.2mph today.

I had BarefootOzz LL and was running 44.3MPH WOT. This was up river.

For those hinging your decision on this information, I don't believe the numbers are good enough for a fair comparison. I really have problems with the river current +/- my speeds not being consistent. The river current should be a constant and be easy to remove/add from the speeds. However, we took a 1 mile run at WOT in both directions and had 46.1 - 46.3 both up and down river. This makes no sense to me. BarefootOzz brought a GPS so there were 2 GPS in the boat giving the same readings.

I really need to get on a lake where I can give you more accurate numbers.

Additional info from BarefootOzz....

Saturday April 9th.

I tested my ACME 515 today and kept track of the numbers. One thing for sure I can tell you the numbers only change 2 to 3 10th. of a mile thru the whole morning, meaning the engine ran the same. The boat ran very consistent numbers all morning, the temperature gauge also ran consistent at 160.

3 guys in the boat, Lee Rieck 215 pounds, Rob Kadansky 175 pounds and me 190 pounds plus the usual barefoot equipment (3 set of feet)... Foot Print Foot Print Foot Print

No skier, East to West wide open throttle 46.2 @ 5200 rpm

No skier, West to East wide open throttle 46.8 @ 5200 rpm

No skier, East to West wide open throttle 46.3 @ 5200 rpm

No skier, West to East wide open throttle 46.7 @ 5200 rpm

With a skier, (Lee and I), wide open throttle 45.3 @5000

With a skier, (Rob), wide open throttle 45.5 @5200

With a skier, any of us 3, at 44 MPH the engine ran @ 4800 rpm

Notes:

Do not know why but for some reason West to East runs ran a bit faster but not enough to make anything out of it, we do not know how fast the wind was blowing but it was a bit windy today, also funny thing the flags were blowing from South/East to North/West, don't understand that.

The rpm gauge did go wacky on us a few times so we did not count that run.

Gas tank was filled up to the top before we put the boat in the Lake.

GPS used for all speeds.

Keep in consideration this is a 1997 Response LX, non-Diamond hull with the SSP plate set at Scarpa's specifications, 3/32 gap.

Sunday, April 10th. BarefootOzz again

ACME 449 tested.

4 people in the boat, Lee 215#, Oz 190#, Joel 170#, Beth (I asked her but she smacked me!... so let's just say same as Paris Hilton)

No skier, East to West, wide open throttle 46.8 @ 4900 rpm

No skier, West to East, wide open throttle 46.5 @ 5000 rpm

No skier, East to West, wide open throttle 46.7 @ 5000 rpm

No skier, West to East, wide open throttle 46.9 @ 5100 rpm

With a skier, Lee skiing forward 45.3 @ 5000

With a skier, Lee skiing backward 44.8 @ 5000

With a skier, Lee, 43.8 mph @ 4800

Note: I used Lee since he was the biggest guy.

I tested the Acme 13x12 on 4/9/05.

With just me in the boat, it turned 5230 and ran 47.9MPH on the GPS.

With 3 people in the boat and loaded with gear, including the slalom course + anchors, it ran 5100 and 45.8MPH.

Hope to get some OJ 13x12 XMP tests next weekend.

The ACME held speed fine and also had no problems with me LL at 41mph (even though I asked the driver for more and he didnt give it to me )

To be as scientific as possible, you should mark out a boat path with bricks and old milk cartons, and test both props on the same day in the same conditions. Different winds, currents, fuel loads, air temperatures, and air pressures will all change speed readings and/or engine output.

Matt

You are exactly correct. I would love to have a stopwatch with fixed objects and a timing lane along with GPS. However, I am just trying to get some decent data on the props for everyone to read with the tach and GPS.

I have both the ACME 13x12 and the OJ XMP 13x12. It really doesnt matter to me as I can switch. However, there are several people trying to make a decision on which prop to purchase. Any info I can give them is better than the info I had when I bought the props.

Any info I can give them is better than the info I had when I bought the props.

Good stuff, Mark. Keep it coming. And to be as scientific as WSM, you'd have to reprint company-provided info in your "review." Biggrin.gif

To be as scientific as possible, you should mark out a boat path with bricks and old milk cartons, and test both props on the same day in the same conditions.  Different winds, currents, fuel loads, air temperatures, and air pressures will all change speed readings and/or engine output.

Had to check to be sure this wasn't Doug getting in on the action! :) Hopefully we'll see him wandering around here sometime soon.

Great info, Mark. Less thrilled with the avatar - not as great an image to be burned into the brain as edwin's last one at MBO. :)

Since the two props look interchangeable, and since I already have the 515, I'll probably go with the OJ as my backup.

Wow, it's nice to have the whole MBO crew back!

Ok, so could you come up with an executive summary (customized to my liking of course) :)

If you were to go out and buy one prop for a boat with the Monsoon, usually loaded w/ 4 adults, and did 50/50 footn/slalom and never wakeboarded, which prop would you get?

Mike

Mike,

Based on Edwin's results with almost the exact same boat, I think you would be wise to choose the XMP. I believe the XMP is faster at less RPM's than the ACME.

My XMP is with BarefootOzz right now and he is gonna test it this weekend. I have not yet tested the XMP on stationary water. (non river current)

I am going to keep both props and use them this year. I think I am gonna keep the XMP on as the main prop unless it doesnt perform as well on the lake. I cant imagine it taking that much of a performance dump, but I have yet to use it other than on the river.

Good Luck!

Wow, it's nice to have the whole MBO crew back!

Ok, so could you come up with an executive summary (customized to my liking of course) :)

If you were to go out and buy one prop for a boat with the Monsoon, usually loaded w/ 4 adults, and did 50/50 footn/slalom and never wakeboarded, which prop would you get?

Mike

Short version, comparing jonathan to golden delicious apples - 2001 SLXi, Monsoon 325, best overall prop has been the OJ 13x12 3 blade. 40mph pulling a footer long line is approx 500 rpm less than an ACME 13x11.5 3 blade (model 525), top speed is a couple mph faster. Will do some good number gathering next weekend. If I get a wild hair up my bum, I'll compare the XMP 13x12 to my OJ 13x13 4 blade stainless. If I get a wild boar up there, maybe I'll even yank the 13x12 ACME off 2 Thumbs boat and compare it for good measure.