Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ready to do(try) an invert

txwakejunkie

My wife and I are getting tired of jumping the wake over and over. Yuk.gif We both can Heel side W2W, surface 180, olie 180, W2W 180, and can ride switch ok. We would like to start trying an invert but do not know which one to try. Tantrum or Back Roll, What is better to learn first? Any tips on getting it done?

Edited by txwakejunkie

I am no expert as I am just getting started with inverts myself. Most people have told me to go for the backroll first. I have tried both and continue to work on the backroll. I would say try both and see which one feels most natural to you and then work hard on that one. Good Luck!

Whatever you do, I recommend a helmet and mouthpiece. I've seen numerous head and face injuries.

Thanks, The only time we don't have a helmet on is when we are surfing. Need to get a mouthpiece though.

Edited by txwakejunkie

I learned tantrum first, but most do backroll first. It's not hard. Take a mellow to hard approach and level board off when you get to trough and left go with your rear hand. Once you do that, the board will come off edge ever so slightly and your shoulders will line up with the boat path. When you feel the kick just goup and back with it. You may want to shorten the rope so you for sure get across the wake. It's much easier to land a tantrum in the flats than case the wake. Good Luck.

I would not suggest trying more than one invert until you land one. If you do, you will lose confidence in your ability to pull one off, and your mindset will become that of "I"m going to go try and do __" as opposed to it being, "I'm going to do a ____". Picture yourself doing the trick in your head and not just hucking.

Whatever you do, I recommend a helmet and mouthpiece. I've seen numerous head and face injuries.

Thanks, The only time we don't have a helmet on is when we are surfing. Need to get a mouthpiece though.

U hitting sliders? If not, what is the helmet for?

We ride on the river 90% of the time and you just never know what you might come across. Better safe then sorry.

SLAPAHO! Thumbup.gif

Definitely get a mouth piece. My son almost bit his tongue off several weeks ago.

My son learned his back-roll first. But, once he tried the tantrum, he said it might have been easier to do it first. He landed the first one of those he tried.

Practice on a trampoline first. Makes a huge difference!!!

if you can do a backflip you can do a tantrum. There's more thought/timing involved in a tantrum than a backroll because you have to let go with one hand, switch edges and do the flip. It's still not a bad one to start with. The backroll is pretty easy thought process wise because all you do is cut in, and pretty much tip your head to your rear shoulder.

Whichever one you do first, don't do it "just a little bit" to see hwo it goes. All or nothing. Half of an invert is a land on your head. Throw it harder than you think you need to but make sure you wait until you are at the very top/off the wake. If you can, try to wait 1 second longer than you think you should, throwing them early won't help you either. But again, not a half try, do it all the way and you'll be surprised how close you get!

I'm also at the point where I too should be trying inverts. Although I'm not sure my body is ready to "start" this kind of thing at my age. So just a few weeks ago I bought a trampoline "for the kids". I've heard many times to practice this kind of thing on a trampoline, but I've yet to have the stones to try it yet having never done a flip before, although my kids are flipping all over the place. For some reason I'm thinking if I'm going to land on my head, I'd rather do it on the water.

I'm also at the point where I too should be trying inverts. Although I'm not sure my body is ready to "start" this kind of thing at my age. So just a few weeks ago I bought a trampoline "for the kids". I've heard many times to practice this kind of thing on a trampoline, but I've yet to have the stones to try it yet having never done a flip before, although my kids are flipping all over the place. For some reason I'm thinking if I'm going to land on my head, I'd rather do it on the water.

We bought a trampoline a while back and cut down an old board to practice with. My wife can do tantrums and whirly's on the trampoline. I can jump, Im trying back flips but had a bad landing once a long time ago, and im still trying to get over the fear of landing on the ground instead of the tramp.

I prefer to go invert on the water over the tramp. I learned the backroll 1st and then the tantrum.

Timing is everhthing on the tantrum. I cut a little harder than most tricks with the tantrum and wait until you are 3/4 up the wake to shift weight and square up to the wake. Some call it a trip flip because it almost like you catch your edge on the top of the wake. Timing is so so important but once you get it down you'll be landing everyone that you try. If you cut hard enough to clear the wake it doesn't hurt as bad as coming up short and casing the top of the wake.

On the back roll just follow the advise of the others that have posted and get a good pop. Ever since I started doing this it makes them look so much better because of the huge air that you can get. Keep your edge all the way up the wake and STAND TALL at the edd to get huge pop.

for me, backroll ended up being much easier than I would have thought. I haven't tried a tantrum yet, this summer.

Sorry dumb question....

Tantrum is coming at it heel side and backroll is going at it toe side - right?

Tantrum = rolling forward - tucking your stomach in, chin to your knees.

Backroll = rolling backward - going over backward

???

I'm ready to do this as well. Got out on the water the other day thinking I'd try a couple and couldn't figure out which would be easier. I don't hang with anyone that can do them.

Thinking of signing up for a summer of membership to the guys who put together The Book web site and get some tips.

I started wearing a helmet when I started trying spins and catching front and rear edges. The thought of a hard fall onto a piece of flotsam or jetsam (read crap in the water - wood chunks, tree branches, errant railroad tie floating along) is not pretty. Lake Chelan, and the Columbia River, to name a couple places, can have lots of crud at various times.

Sorry dumb question....

???

I'm ready to do this as well. Got out on the water the other day thinking I'd try a couple and couldn't figure out which would be easier. I don't hang with anyone that can do them.

Thinking of signing up for a summer of membership to the guys who put together The Book web site and get some tips.

Both are heelside. There is a toeside version of the backroll, but it is not the same as the heelside. Heelside is easier. Tantrum is the same as a backflip on a trampoline. Backroll is more like a cartwheel on a trampoline. If you don't sign up for the summer membership you may want to order "The Book" or google some instructional video clips to see how each invert is done. Good luck.

Another Cincy area crew member that I "met" here on bucrew told me that his girlfriend cut a huge gash in her head while attempting to learn a backroll without a helmet last year....for an old guy like me it would seem hard for the head to meet the board with it still on, but if you are young and flexible....

Well your wife is probably ready, but you shouldn't call her a tramp

Oops.gif

Biggrin.gif

OK, so it sounds like I should just pick one and go for it. One more question for you guys that can do them both. While learning to land them, not that i wont land it the first time Whistling.gif , does one have harder landing's on your body then the other?

Sorry dumb question....

???

Both are heelside. There is a toeside version of the backroll, but it is not the same as the heelside. Heelside is easier. Tantrum is the same as a backflip on a trampoline. Backroll is more like a cartwheel on a trampoline. If you don't sign up for the summer membership you may want to order "The Book" or google some instructional video clips to see how each invert is done. Good luck.

But toeside backrolls come pretty easy too. Just take a progressive cut, ride the wake all the way up, keep the handle to your front hip and take it back. You absolutely DO NOT want to case the wake on that though! toeside roll to revert is pretty easy too. Same approach just let go with your front hand, the natural pull of the rope on your rear hand will bring you to revert. Speaking of the Book, Mike McLin, producer of The Book, used to be seen on here. Mike, you still around? May have some customers in this thread!

We bought a trampoline a while back and cut down an old board to practice with. My wife can do tantrums and whirly's on the trampoline. I can jump, Im trying back flips but had a bad landing once a long time ago, and im still trying to get over the fear of landing on the ground instead of the tramp.

If your wife can do a whirly on a tramp then she is ready for a tantrum. Don't let her get in habit of throwing too many whirlies because that will get in her in the habit of throwing a tantrum over her rear shoulder and she'll do tantrums that same way, which will then make it harder to add some grabs to her tantrums. Have fun.

Landings aren't harder, for the backroll make sure you hold on with two hands and try to keep the rope down near your waist, not up over your head. It is just a regular heel side cut into the wake, a nice progressive edge all the way up the wake. Once you are in the air, put your head to your back shoulder, the rest just happens.

For the Tantrum, you take the same cut, but right near the top of the wake, you let go with your back hand and turn your back to the wake. This results in you switching edges and it trips you. You'll almost be thrown into a back flip without trying but you can put your head straight back to help.

The landings should be the same as a wake to wake jump.

Backroll = back cartwheel

tantrum = back flip

There is still a lot of style to be added going w2w instead of "just" jumping the wake. I'd also learn some grabs first as well. Do all the grabs, poke a leg out/bone it, grab blind, go nuclear, heli, backscratcher, etc. Then do it switched. This would allow u to start to get that sensation of moving the board while keeping the board under you when landing and spotting the landings.

I learned my first invert (backside backroll) behind a 04 vlx with no ballast. Mainly because the pro that was teaching me would not let me cheat with bad form. So my advice is to go get lessons from someone that is a good teacher. You'll learn faster, get immediate feedback on what went wrong and have much more fun down the road, as well as doing it safely. No need for a helmet, but wear a nice firm life jacket to cushion some of the under and over rotations, and face it you'll get a couple of eye peelers too. Just part of learning. But once you land it, you'll have a hard time wiping that smile off your face!

This is my advice, but there are many methods of describing the feeling... you'll just have to learn that for yourself:

Progressive edge, load the line and stand tall! That's the thoughts I have going into any invert. On the Roll, load the line by edging all the way through the wake away from the boat. Then turn your head over you right shoulder (if goofy foot) and spot your landing. Think of the rope/tower as throwing you across like a pendulum. Let physics do its thing and don't try to help it. Landings are much softer if you can hit the opposite wake on the downside, but you'll probably not do that for a while. Tough if you hit into the wake, so avoid it!!

I did not try it on the trampoline first. If you are not comfortable with flipping on things like a trampoline, perhaps you should think about it before trying it. You have to commit, and then DO IT. If you are afraid or do it half azz, then that is when things go wrong more often.

I've seen more backrolls landed than tantrums from beginners and if in competition the tantrum gets more points so it is somewhat more difficult to get the feeling.

I learned the Backside Roll-to-Revert as my second invert, then tantrum.