Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Larger wheel and tire combo?

Bawshogg

I am beginning to really not like the look of the 14" wheels that my trailer came with stock. It is a 07' Extreme trailer T/A with 235/60/14's on it. It came with some chrome "modular style" wheels that are really not flowing well with the looks of the" blacked "out truck and boat. I wanted to replace them with something black centered, with maybe a polished lip. Man , there is just not alot out there anymore in a 14" wheel.

I would be willing to go up to 16 or 17, but I realy can't have much more for overall hieght being that it barely clears the garage door now. Also in doing some research I found that most low pro tires are not rated at much more than 1500 lbs.each. Being that the originals are rated at 2300 lbs each that seems like alot to give up. Boat weighs approximately 3300+, and trailer is about 1500lbs. 4800 plus fuel , gear and other misc stuff might get a little close to max weight rating if running a lower profile tire?

I know I have seen others running different wheels and such, maybe even 20"s. I am just looking for a little knowledge on what can and can't be done. Ran a search already and didn't really come up with what I was looking for .

Thanks again.

I am beginning to really not like the look of the 14" wheels that my trailer came with stock. It is a 07' Extreme trailer T/A with 235/60/14's on it. It came with some chrome "modular style" wheels that are really not flowing well with the looks of the" blacked "out truck and boat. I wanted to replace them with something black centered, with maybe a polished lip. Man , there is just not alot out there anymore in a 14" wheel.

I would be willing to go up to 16 or 17, but I realy can't have much more for overall hieght being that it barely clears the garage door now. Also in doing some research I found that most low pro tires are not rated at much more than 1500 lbs.each. Being that the originals are rated at 2300 lbs each that seems like alot to give up. Boat weighs approximately 3300+, and trailer is about 1500lbs. 4800 plus fuel , gear and other misc stuff might get a little close to max weight rating if running a lower profile tire?

I know I have seen others running different wheels and such, maybe even 20"s. I am just looking for a little knowledge on what can and can't be done. Ran a search already and didn't really come up with what I was looking for .

Thanks again.

Here is their website and 17" wheel options. Looks like they are running Toyo Proxes. I would just give them a call or shoot them an email to get tire size, bolt pattern (well you can always measure that) and offset and then go shopping. I suspect that a standard automotive 17" wheel is going to fit once you find the offset and bolt spacing.

http://www.extremetrailers.com/new/extreme...om_wheels1.html

Also, once you know what Extreme is selling size-wise, you can use a tire size calculator to play around with wheel/tire size combos

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Edited by TheBlackPearl

post-4948-1210597928_thumb.jpg

I have a Boat Mate trailer. I upgraded the wheels on it in the fall from 14" to 19". I thought I could do it much cheaper without going through Boat Mate, but I was wrong. The price was very similar and I learned a few things that would have taken me longer to figure out if I did it on my own. As the tire gets lower profile, it needs to be wider to cary the same weight. I had to replace my fenders too (because of the wider tires). That only added about $250 and an afternoon of my time. The wheels for a boat trailer usually have oil caps that stick out. If there is a plastic cover that goes over the lug nuts on the wheel, you will have to get that machined so the oil cap will fit through a hole in the lug nut cover. You only need that done on 4 of the 5 tires if you have a spare on your trailer. Boat Mate made the hole in the covers (no charge). Someone with some basic knowledge of tools could probably cut the hole, but I was afraid of ruining the cover and having to buy a new one. I'm sure others have changed their wheels without going through the trailer company, but I'm glad I called Boat Mate. The pictures are before the hole was cut in the lug nut covers (the covers are just set in place). Good Luck!

post-4948-1210598284_thumb.jpg

Also, look at Eagle Wheels they make some really nice looking aluminum polished wheels if you don't like the all out chrome look. It has to be a 0 offset, keep that in mind Thumbup.gif

Edited by 68Slalom

I have a Boat Mate trailer. I upgraded the wheels on it in the fall from 14" to 19". I thought I could do it much cheaper without going through Boat Mate, but I was wrong. The price was very similar and I learned a few things that would have taken me longer to figure out if I did it on my own. As the tire gets lower profile, it needs to be wider to cary the same weight. I had to replace my fenders too (because of the wider tires). That only added about $250 and an afternoon of my time. The wheels for a boat trailer usually have oil caps that stick out. If there is a plastic cover that goes over the lug nuts on the wheel, you will have to get that machined so the oil cap will fit through a hole in the lug nut cover. You only need that done on 4 of the 5 tires if you have a spare on your trailer. Boat Mate made the hole in the covers (no charge). Someone with some basic knowledge of tools could probably cut the hole, but I was afraid of ruining the cover and having to buy a new one. I'm sure others have changed their wheels without going through the trailer company, but I'm glad I called Boat Mate. The pictures are before the hole was cut in the lug nut covers (the covers are just set in place). Good Luck!

How did you replace the fenders? Aren't they welded on?

How did you replace the fenders? Aren't they welded on?

No. Just some bolts on the ends. I think 4 on each side.

I got a little info. I called and talked with Extreme. They say I would also have to replace my fenders to run the tire that they recommend. They use a 225/55/17, but it is a trailer specific tire that they spec to be built by nankang and not readily available. These tires and wheels would not really work for me in many aspects. I don't want chrome. I want a black wheel with a polished lip or something to that effect ,that will flow with my truck/boat package. I can't afford the extra hieght in tire size either, being that I already have to use a 13" drop hitch that puts the tailer tounge about an inch from the ground to get my boat into the garage. So any extra hieght and I am scarred it won't fit.

I'll keep hunting .

I have Nexen N 3000 255/45 ZR18 103Y XL BSW that came as an "upgrade" on my boatmate trailer...

Decent, cheap price (online) tires @$97 bucks a peice... ( I found this out after getting a flat on my second day trailering it!)

Not a bad combo, not the best either...

Little too much for me...

post-3854-1210728242_thumb.jpg

I have Nexen N 3000 255/45 ZR18 103Y XL BSW that came as an "upgrade" on my boatmate trailer...

Decent, cheap price (online) tires @$97 bucks a peice... ( I found this out after getting a flat on my second day trailering it!)

Not a bad combo, not the best either...

Little too much for me...

I love the set-up, that looks great.